Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "DOOM'D!" -- A return to Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3  (Read 127616 times)

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Re: "DOOM'D!" -- We're BAAAAAAAAACCKK!!!
« Reply #360 on: September 29, 2011, 02:31:04 pm »
Dammit, Andy.  Why do your Aimtraks look so friggin' hot?

Why, oh why, is it so hard for me to figure out whether or not to incorporate these into my build?!

:banghead:

348 replies and 18496 reads later, we now got something that resembles a cabinet!  Good job!  :applaud:  :laugh2:

LOL.  No kidding, eh?  I'd compare myself to Pixelhugger, if I had anywhere close to his talent.  Maybe Rip Van Winkle is more my speed.

;D

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2024, 12:59:28 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #361 on: September 29, 2011, 03:03:03 pm »
Would be cool to have the sound of the doors in DOOM for that effect.

OH... HELL... YES!!!  (Thank you so much!  What a great idea.)

;D

It'll be awesome when your have this 23rd century high-tech cabinet done, and people bug you to set it so they can play Pac-Man!  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #362 on: September 29, 2011, 03:05:02 pm »
It'll be awesome when your have this 23rd century high-tech cabinet done, and people bug you to set it so they can play Pac-Man!  :cheers:

Won't bug me in the least - they'll be in line behind me.

;)

AlienInferno

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2024, 04:10:07 pm
« Reply #363 on: September 29, 2011, 05:54:41 pm »
You could use the guns but incorporate them into a "hidden" section on the cab.  Maybe on the side (or front if there is room.)  Have the hidden door (ala Robocop or something) open up when a gun game is selected via the LEDwiz.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #364 on: September 30, 2011, 05:52:03 am »
Just how big are the two 'pipes' on either side of the CP? Maybe those could be hollow and get a little linear actuator to slide them out to pull the gun out, triggered via Ledwiz, just like AlienInferno suggested.

http://www.servocity.com/html/25_lbs__thrust_linear_actuator.html

One of these would probably have enough thrust to push out both 'wings' for the guns.

Then you just need to find this product at a non-insane price:
http://www.lightcast-store.com/retractable-usb-retractable-reel-10-foot-cable-p/ld201154.htm

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #365 on: September 30, 2011, 09:16:09 am »
You could use the guns but incorporate them into a "hidden" section on the cab.  Maybe on the side (or front if there is room.)  Have the hidden door (ala Robocop or something) open up when a gun game is selected via the LEDwiz.

Just how big are the two 'pipes' on either side of the CP? Maybe those could be hollow and get a little linear actuator to slide them out to pull the gun out, triggered via Ledwiz, just like AlienInferno suggested.

Damn, guys.  It's like you read my mind.  I was playing this over and over in my head all last night.  I love the idea of having some type of actuated system to have holsters either slide out from the sides (the pipes idea is awesome, btw) but my concern was having them still 'hidden' enough.  (Actually, when I think about how I was going to actually create the pipes on the sides, that is a verrrrry good idea.  I'm going to continue thinking about that.)

The idea going through my head at the moment was to use the rear section for a mini 'armory'.  I figure, since I'm doing so much work on the back of the cab anyway, why not make the interior more ... effective?  You rotate the cab (yes, I'm going to make some rolling casters - this thing needs to be able to roll) open the back door and voila...

I wanted to have two of the Ultimarc light guns holstered on the bottom, and some type of replica pulse rifle across the top, but have it painted similar to the pic above...  ...but now, I'm not sure which way to go - the actuators there are a realllllly cool idea.

swaffar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2016, 03:34:15 pm
« Reply #366 on: September 30, 2011, 12:18:53 pm »
Damn, guys.  It's like you read my mind.  I was playing this over and over in my head all last night.  I love the idea of having some type of actuated system to have holsters either slide out from the sides (the pipes idea is awesome, btw) but my concern was having them still 'hidden' enough.  (Actually, when I think about how I was going to actually create the pipes on the sides, that is a verrrrry good idea.  I'm going to continue thinking about that.)

The idea going through my head at the moment was to use the rear section for a mini 'armory'.  I figure, since I'm doing so much work on the back of the cab anyway, why not make the interior more ... effective?  You rotate the cab (yes, I'm going to make some rolling casters - this thing needs to be able to roll) open the back door and voila...

I wanted to have two of the Ultimarc light guns holstered on the bottom, and some type of replica pulse rifle across the top, but have it painted similar to the pic above...  ...but now, I'm not sure which way to go - the actuators there are a realllllly cool idea.

That would be pretty awesome.
My projects:

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #367 on: September 30, 2011, 12:43:58 pm »
That would be pretty awesome.

It's a collaborative effort, to be certain.  I definitely wouldn't have come up with some of the ideas I have without the help of the community members here.  What do you think of this?

...and a closer view...

I figure the section from the top 'caution' colours to the bottom would also 'pop out' with magnetic clips, and fold down towards you, where the motherboard and other electronics could reside, for simple modifications...  I do still need to have some way of getting in and out of the box.

Edit:  Ha.  I just snapped a screenshot from a walkthrough, and have a better view of the armory sections...  I might make a couple slight modifications, based upon the new pics. 

(Nice to see the guns are just hanging on some simple dowels, mind you.)

;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:59:34 pm by Rick »

Nephasth

« Reply #368 on: September 30, 2011, 02:19:25 pm »
Will you be using AimTraks? How will you handle cable management? Will the guns' cords come from around the backside to the front during play? USB ports in the front? EMS Topgun III is wireless... ;)

Also curious about the door for that. Will the gas shocks open it up 90 degrees or more? A roll top desk style door would be cool... although it's not so futuristic.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 02:24:09 pm by Nephasth »

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #369 on: September 30, 2011, 02:27:08 pm »
Will you be using AimTraks? How will you handle cable management? Will the guns' cords come from around the backside to the front during play? EMS Topgun III is wireless... ;)

Good questions.  I was considering hiding some USB connectors under the front panel, but I don't know how the drivers would react being plugged in/unplugged while the system is on.  (If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the answer!)  Now, wireless is a nice option...  ...do you have a link to these?  I'm finding a lot of TopGun II links, but no III.  Edit: NVM. Found it.

Also curious about the door for that. A roll top desk style door would be cool... although it's not so futuristic.

A-ha!  Ninja edit.  I think the shocks should keep it around 90 degrees.  I've got a lot of playtesting to do, both with different hinge ideas, as well as the way to keep the shocks from ripping off the doors, or ripping the doors off.

;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 02:31:34 pm by Rick »

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #370 on: September 30, 2011, 02:34:42 pm »
Rotating the whole cabinet is a neat idea, but it sounds like a hassle in the long run.

What about hinging the entire CP to rotate down around 30 degrees to open a dock for the guns?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #371 on: September 30, 2011, 02:45:46 pm »
In the end, Rick's going to win the "Arcade Cabinet With The Most Feature Creep" trophy!  :cheers:

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #372 on: September 30, 2011, 02:47:09 pm »
Rotating the whole cabinet is a neat idea, but it sounds like a hassle in the long run.

It does, I know.  I am trying to consider other solutions, but I keep trying to keep the entire cab look mostly authentic, and most of my other ideas hinge around add-ons or holsters...

What about hinging the entire CP to rotate down around 30 degrees to open a dock for the guns?

Hmm.  Now, that's a pretty good idea.  I know I'd want to keep the CP as sturdy as possible, especially for those times when players get ... 'overly into' their gameplay.  Do you have any ideas on how to keep the CP up - or any ideas on some type of locking mechanism?  My head is spinning, now.  (This is a really good idea - and you have me thinking, now...  I do still want to keep the 'armory' look for the rear entry - but maybe I won't use it for gun storage...  Maybe it'll just be an Easter egg for when I open the back hatch.)

In the end, Rick's going to win the "Arcade Cabinet With The Most Feature Creep" trophy!  :cheers:

Ha!  No kidding, eh?  I wonder if I should put a Kegerator in there, too?

:laugh2:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #373 on: September 30, 2011, 02:59:18 pm »

Ha!  No kidding, eh?  I wonder if I should put a Kegerator in there, too?

:laugh2:

By the time we're done with you, you're going to have a jet seat attached with a voice-activated OLED heads up display. And a Tron stick.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #374 on: September 30, 2011, 03:01:26 pm »

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #375 on: September 30, 2011, 05:32:49 pm »
The back door armory sounds like a good idea but I bet it would get tiring having to move the cab to get to the guns.  Expecially when you have alot of people wanting to play different games.  Either way there all good ideas.  Now get back to work on the cab.  I want to see this finished.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #376 on: September 30, 2011, 08:31:33 pm »
Just thinking out loud here, I'd probably need to jump into a cad program to really develop the idea but....
If you move the whole thing with a rotary driver you could have the tilting action driven by some kind of cam arm attached to the disk/servo and some tabs that
extend out under the monitor shelf area from the CP to hold downward weight on the end of the CP (front end goes down, back end goes up since the middle bottom is hinged to the cabinet?)

Actually you could make the tabs part of it cosmetic by patterning them after the 'teeth' on the various doors in the game.

I suppose the greatest weakness of this system would be flat outward pulling of the CP. If it's rotated about a point slightly above the bottom edge maybe you could attach it with a pin/hole system to eliminate that degree of freedom.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #377 on: October 01, 2011, 10:54:45 am »
Just thinking out loud here, I'd probably need to jump into a cad program to really develop the idea but.... If you move the whole thing with a rotary driver you could have the tilting action driven by some kind of cam arm attached to the disk/servo and some tabs that extend out under the monitor shelf area from the CP to hold downward weight on the end of the CP (front end goes down, back end goes up since the middle bottom is hinged to the cabinet?)

Amazing idea, but ...  :dizzy:

I'm sure my skills are nowhere close to bringing this to reality, so I think I'm going to resign myself to the rear armory idea for now.  I'm pretty sure I can make it work, although now, I have to figure out a way that the rear door doesn't clip the USB cables when it closes, or consider wireless guns.  (Who knows?  By the time I'm done, Andy will probably have wireless, recoiling guns.)

;D

dandare

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2013, 08:43:44 am
« Reply #378 on: October 01, 2011, 03:03:20 pm »
wow this just keeps getting better!

the rear hatch idea is frikkin' awesome! wireless guns would be easier i guess, and that EMS Target box could make for a great airsoft rifle, that you could actually use!

if you do make the whole cab rotate round and use actuators for the door, some sound effects would really be cool!

keep up the brilliant work pal!!  :cheers:   

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #379 on: October 02, 2011, 01:55:09 pm »
the rear hatch idea is frikkin' awesome! wireless guns would be easier i guess, and that EMS Target box could make for a great airsoft rifle, that you could actually use!

Thanks.  I'm leaning towards the wireless idea, and I figure as long as the hatch is in there, I can add in the guns at a later date, which is probably the plan anyway.  For what I'm thinking (2 guns and a rifle of some sort) it adds a hundred or two to the whole idea - which could be a bit of a challenge.

if you do make the whole cab rotate round and use actuators for the door, some sound effects would really be cool!

Agreed!  I love this idea, and I figure I'll incorporate them two-fold.  I already have the FE sounds ready, and in keeping with the STTP3 'theme', they will all be taken from the original Doom game.  The second part will be the exterior sound for the door actuators, and they'll be from the door/cabinet sounds from in Doom 3.

I did a couple hours of work yesterday, before the rain, and today, as I wanted to focus on getting the front angles extended...  These pieces were the most irritating, as I neglected to 'reverse' the right side, when I went to route it down.  Therefore, I had to do the right side twice.  They also don't fit up perfectly, as I used the same template as the outside edges, and the curved edge 'grew' across the 3/4" width.  I could have cut a new template for each of the three pieces, using the 'new' edge as a new template, but I figured it would be just as easy to sand it smooth, since I do need to Bondo the whole edge anyway.

Here's my youngest giving me a hand, clamping up the various extension pieces.

Three edge extensions, all clamped up and drying...

And, what the edge *should* look like, once they're dried, cut and assembled.

So, that's where we're at today.  I want to get some of the 'incidentals' out of the way, and that will include the front sides (three stacked 3/4" pieces on each side), the front panel with the coin door, and the base panel - which I have already carved out, ported for a subwoofer.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #380 on: October 03, 2011, 02:39:27 pm »
So, a couple of minutes ago, I was reading a couple of Doom wikis, and stumbled across this little tidbit from the "Doom 3: Resurrection Of Evil" game:

Quote from: Wikipedia
There are two new mini-games on the computers, instead of just "Turkey Puncher" from the original. One is an artillery game called "Sarge's Big Game Hunt" and the other is an Arkanoid clone called "Hellanoid".

Dammmmnnn.  You mean, I need to recreate two new cabinets after this one is done?  Damn.  I wonder what they look like?  Well, fear no more, I found 'em.  Here's "Sarge's Big Game Hunt"...

The beginning shows some of the gameplay.  Definitely pretty basic.

And now, "Hellanoid"

The gameplay of this one starts around 1:20...

That's funny, right there.  I was actually hoping for a couple of new, and inventive additions, but they've just recycled the original cabinets for a couple of new games.  (Seriously, how cool would it have been if they had a shotgun hanging off of the "Sarge's Big Game Hunt" CP and a spinner on the "Hellanoid" CP?)  Damn, now I'm a bit disappointed...  At the very least, I figure I would be able to order some different marquees for the different startups, if they were anywhere close to interesting.

Nephasth

« Reply #381 on: October 03, 2011, 02:46:29 pm »
Looks like pathartl has got some work to do! ;)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #382 on: October 03, 2011, 06:28:45 pm »
That's funny, right there.  I was actually hoping for a couple of new, and inventive additions, but they've just recycled the original cabinets for a couple of new games. 

So even in the future, Dynamo is still making generic cabs!

pathartl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2014, 01:10:17 am
« Reply #383 on: October 11, 2011, 09:00:20 pm »
For some reason I stopped getting updates to my email about this thread. Anyway...

Looks like pathartl has got some work to do! ;)

On it.

EDIT: Well, there seems to be another game from RoE called Martian Buddy Blaster. Ugh (It's towards the end)
You know what, I'm sorry for the false hope but I don't think I'm going to pursue these. Flash really blows for this type of thing. I could try and see if I can find the old game engine I used to use, but I can't promise anything :\
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:17:24 pm by pathartl »

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
« Reply #384 on: November 09, 2011, 12:01:46 am »
Ssssssoooooo......   :blah:   ???

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #385 on: December 06, 2011, 09:47:00 pm »
 :bump for updates?

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #386 on: December 14, 2011, 01:17:15 pm »
Well, first, there was the fire...

;)

Just kidding.  Actually, the 'fire' of which I'm speaking was the opportunity for a new business venture that I have been working intently on for the past couple of months.  My apologies to all who have been anxiously awaiting some progress, but what you see above is where she is at at this very moment.  My every waking moment, from the time I got home at night, until the wee hours of every morning (seriously - 2 a.m. was the average 'bed time' for me, and then up again at 6:00 a.m.) was spent getting ready for this month, when I finally released my new website.  (I just did another search of the rules, and didn't find any rule against mentioning it, so hopefully, Saint will give me some leeway here if I am breaking a rule - it's certainly not going to compete with anything this site is famous for...)

I opened "Express It With Flowers", which you can visit at www.expressitwithflowers.com.  We offer same day and next day delivery of over 500+ products from cut flowers, arrangements, balloons and even fruit baskets, hand delivered by one of our 15,000 local FTD florists.  (I know - a lot of you might already know many other sites that do similar, but I've been working hard - and am still working hard - to make our site more unique, and not just be 'one of the many'.)  Truth be told, I'd love for <shamelessplug>Express It With Flowers</shamelessplug> to become THE flower delivery website that everybody goes to.  But who wouldn't want their business to thrive, right?  I invite anyone and everyone reading this thread to drop by and give me your honest critique.  I'm not 'that guy' who'll get all butthurt - as I'm sure you know by now - so, feel free to give me your honest opinion.  (While there is a 'contact us' page there, you can click the "President's Message" page, and I've got a link there to my personal E-Mail.)

As for the cab, it's still here, and still being taken care of as best as I can.  I've stored it in the kids' toyroom for the time being, until I have the weather and time to give it more attention.  It's my goal to pump enough of my heart and soul into my new business to make enough money to buy a new house with a garage/workshop, so who knows.  Next spring (our 'personal goal') you may be reading my posts DAILY, as I have enough time and space to devote to continuing on my arcade.  It's certainly not a project I've canceled - it's just 'on hold' temporarily.

Thanks, everyone, for your continued support!  (...and if you want to ship some flowers to your loved ones - I mean your girlfriend, wife or significant other... ...not your cabs! - please consider my site.)

Rick

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #387 on: December 19, 2011, 07:34:30 am »
Best of luck.  The site looks good and responds quickly.   :D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #388 on: April 19, 2012, 01:04:40 pm »
 :bump because Rick's a good guy and we haven't heard from him in a long time.  :bump

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
« Reply #389 on: April 19, 2012, 03:21:07 pm »
:bump because Rick's a good guy and we haven't heard from him in a long time.  :bump

Yeah he is. Hope all is well!  :cheers:
Pictures are overrated anyway.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 07:38:23 am
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #390 on: April 20, 2012, 11:47:35 pm »
The problem with online flower ordering, and I've done quite a bit of it, is that florists feel free to shortchange the recipient.  After all, if it was impersonal enough to order it online, what are the odds you're going to see it in person or call the recipient and ask about it?

Which is a problem with local florists rather than the online company facilitating the order right?  My experience has been positive but I am willing to believe that it varies by locale and what florist gets queued for the order. Either way Rick's venture isn't responsible for the fact that you've gotten some skimpy service in the past. 

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #391 on: April 21, 2012, 11:42:56 am »
Hadn't realized you started construction on this till now - woodworking looks amazing, can't wait till you can get it moving again!

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 05:47:08 pm
« Reply #392 on: April 23, 2012, 12:11:54 am »
Hadn't realized you started construction on this till now - woodworking looks amazing, can't wait till you can get it moving again!

+1

Life and work get in the way of any good build. We're all patiently waiting and it looks like it'll be worth the effort!!
Project mega thread HERE

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2024, 08:30:10 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #393 on: April 27, 2012, 05:46:10 pm »

+1

Life and work get in the way of any good build. We're all patiently waiting and it looks like it'll be worth the effort!!

And you are undoubtedly the authority on that  :laugh:

Rick

• Offline Offline
Re: "DOOM'D!" -- *cough cough cough* Hello?!
« Reply #394 on: October 08, 2012, 11:50:18 am »
Whoa. Look at all the cobwebs!!!

;)

I'm sorry for being away for so long! Here's a brief synopsis of my life, over the past 3/4 of a year. Despite a lot of family and friend traffic, my website tanked out quickly. A lot of people called/e-mailed to say they loved the site, but never ordered a darn thing. I dropped a bit of advertising into it through Google, and it drew in more traffic, but still nobody bought. So, after a few months of daily work, I decided to put it all behind me.

In our house, I tore down all of the wainscoting I had put up a couple of years ago in favour of a more neutral colour palette. Of course, that meant I had to patch and paint all over again, and that's what I've been working on for the past month or so. In the end, we've completed most of the main floor (shy of the washroom) and I'm SO looking forward to starting back in on the arcade build! The weather is looking good, and if things change as I anticipate they might over the next week (more on that if it happens) I may have a lot more time on my hands...

But other than that, how is everybody else? Good to be back.

Rick

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #395 on: October 08, 2012, 11:56:07 am »
Rick, I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out. I'm still following your build though and I'm looking forward to your progress on it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #396 on: October 08, 2012, 06:03:17 pm »
Rick! We've missed you, bro!

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #397 on: October 08, 2012, 07:54:01 pm »
I warned the others...

YOU'RE ALL DOOM'D!

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #398 on: October 09, 2012, 09:11:11 am »
I warned the others... YOU'RE ALL DOOM'D!

I prefer this guy...

...but what do I know.

:D

Thanks everybody, good to be back!

R.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #399 on: October 09, 2012, 10:37:03 am »
Hey Rick, sorry to hear about the bussiness. Welcome back.