Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "DOOM'D!" -- A return to Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3  (Read 126637 times)

pathartl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2014, 01:10:17 am
Re: "DOOM'D!" -- We're BAAAAAAAAACCKK!!!
« Reply #320 on: September 16, 2011, 12:28:35 pm »
Damn, thought I fixed that. It was adding 60000 to your score when you killed a turkey instead of 100. Silly me! Here's the fixed version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?s6fhp5n6kcbbw78

Nephasth

« Reply #321 on: September 16, 2011, 01:10:46 pm »
Norton removes the "threat" as soon as it's installed...

pathartl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #322 on: September 16, 2011, 01:12:25 pm »
It shouldn't be considered a threat. It's literally a Flash file embedded in Adobe's official projector thing.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #323 on: September 16, 2011, 01:17:17 pm »
You can just hold down the attack button and repeated get maximum points per punch. Takes all the timing out of it.

pathartl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #324 on: September 16, 2011, 01:18:45 pm »
Hmm I'll look into that, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to fix it. Thanks!

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #325 on: September 16, 2011, 01:21:47 pm »
I haven't coded anything in flash yet, but does it have a button release detect like in javascript? Set a variable that inhibits punching, clear it on release.

pathartl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #326 on: September 16, 2011, 01:48:15 pm »
No, the method I'm using only detects a key press, it doesn't have a on press or on release state.

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #327 on: September 16, 2011, 01:56:21 pm »
My goodness, that is awesome... love the evil smile when the turkey explodes.  :notworthy:

Be careful, when the finished cab inevitably gets press at Joystiq, Kotaku, etc., you will get all sorts of requests for other fowl pummeling sims (Quail Punter Extreme 3D?).  :cheers:

Damn, thought I fixed that. It was adding 60000 to your score when you killed a turkey instead of 100. Silly me! Here's the fixed version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?s6fhp5n6kcbbw78
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #328 on: September 16, 2011, 02:06:16 pm »
Be careful, when the finished cab inevitably gets press at Joystiq, Kotaku, etc., you will get all sorts of requests for other fowl pummeling sims (Quail Punter Extreme 3D?).  :cheers:

I am very hopeful that the cabinet is worthy to be posted on those sites - I read them daily, and would consider it quite an honour.  It would also be my pleasure to be able to turn custom arcade cabinets into a full-time gig, but you never know.

;D

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #329 on: September 16, 2011, 02:10:15 pm »

I am very hopeful that the cabinet is worthy to be posted on those sites - I read them daily, and would consider it quite an honour.  It would also be my pleasure to be able to turn custom arcade cabinets into a full-time gig, but you never know.

;D

Then all you need is a reality show about it on TLC.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #330 on: September 16, 2011, 02:12:44 pm »
Then all you need is a reality show about it on TLC.

"Canadian Arcades", tonight on TLC.  (Do I get to ask Saint and Ond to be guest stars?)

;D

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #331 on: September 16, 2011, 06:42:23 pm »
No pressure.  ;D But a fictional arcade machine from a classic game made real? What an awesome story- I think that would be right up their alley. http://www.joystiq.com/contact/tips/ and so on when the time is right!

;D
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #332 on: September 16, 2011, 06:56:05 pm »
No pressure.  ;D

No kidding, eh? Day by day, as I get closer to completion, I feel more and more pride in my work, and yet, there's always that nagging voice in your head, because only you know where all the mistakes are/were.

;)

But a fictional arcade machine from a classic game made real? What an awesome story- I think that would be right up their alley. http://www.joystiq.com/contact/tips/ and so on when the time is right!

Thanks a bunch!  It's this kind of support that makes our community great.  I really do appreciate it.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 05:43:28 pm
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #333 on: September 16, 2011, 06:58:55 pm »
No kidding, eh? Day by day, as I get closer to completion, I feel more and more pride in my work, and yet, there's always that nagging voice in your head, because only you know where all the mistakes are/were.

Just make sure to take low res pics for posting, we wont notice those mistakes  ;D

Just kidding - following this thread on the edge of my seat - truly great work  :applaud:

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #334 on: September 19, 2011, 08:33:54 pm »
Just make sure to take low res pics for posting, we wont notice those mistakes  ;D

Well, let me tell you - it's not always that slight a mistake.  Certainly not what I did yesterday.  See this part, right here?

Well, imagine that carved out region about three inches to the left.  I really don't know what happened - I certainly didn't follow the 'measure twice and cut once' rule - but there it is.  I have a region that is carved out in the wrong spot, but I will be definitely slapping on the Bondo and redoing it in the right spot!  What's worse is that I didn't even notice the mistake until after I had assembled the back pieces, and stood back to admire my handiwork.

:banghead:

In my own defense, the carves were all done when I had three or four pieces together, to get the 1/2" 90 degree inlays straight, and there was a 4" section of wood to the right that was removed...  I likely mis-measured from a line that wasn't correct.

Just kidding - following this thread on the edge of my seat - truly great work  :applaud:

Thanks - that means a lot.  I can only promise to continue on, and make it all as amusing and enjoyable as possible.

;D

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 09:58:54 pm
« Reply #335 on: September 20, 2011, 12:22:04 am »
So when are we going to get to see more pictures of actual cab pieces?  I'm ready to start seeing this thing get put together.  No pressure.  Keep at it though.  I like reading about peoples mistakes as well.  When I made the speaker slots for my cab I drilled a starter hole in the wrong spot.   :banghead:

pathartl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #336 on: September 20, 2011, 12:24:18 am »
I agree, WIP shots are the best, mistakes or not! Rick, btw, do you have some hi res STTP3 art that you could PM me? I'd love to build a theme for Hyperspin!

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #337 on: September 20, 2011, 08:25:13 am »
So when are we going to get to see more pictures of actual cab pieces?  I'm ready to start seeing this thing get put together.  No pressure.  Keep at it though.  I like reading about peoples mistakes as well.  When I made the speaker slots for my cab I drilled a starter hole in the wrong spot.   :banghead:

LOL.  No worries.  I will try to remember to take pics as I continue.  It's a slow go, that's all.  In the five hours I spent on Sunday, I managed to do some basic Bondo repairs, and some other cutting.  I will have something soon, though.  Don't worry!

I agree, WIP shots are the best, mistakes or not! Rick, btw, do you have some hi res STTP3 art that you could PM me? I'd love to build a theme for Hyperspin!

I haven't gotten to that point as yet, so other than some of the basic graphic work I have completed for Maximus, I haven't started collecting.  If you're still looking for the Classic Doom Font, you can find it here.

shfifty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2017, 08:03:39 am
« Reply #338 on: September 22, 2011, 10:44:47 am »
a picture tells a thousand words...

but seriously... give up the pix!

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #339 on: September 25, 2011, 05:21:35 pm »
a picture tells a thousand words...

but seriously... give up the pix!

Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike...  This one?

Yes, the bottom and sides are now assembled.  There is about 12"  - 18" in the back that is now at about 90%, and I will post some specific pics in the next few days.  There are a few more additions that will take some hours to complete, like the inset rear door and gas shock assembly...  (Oops!  I have said too much!)  ...so I hope to be able to complete them before going in to too much detail.

(LOL, such a tease.)

;D

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #340 on: September 26, 2011, 12:55:14 am »
Might want to move the dead body out of the way next time before taking a picture (the foot).  So incriminating....  (j/k)

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 09:58:54 pm
« Reply #341 on: September 27, 2011, 05:00:20 pm »
Yeah picture!

Is that the way the finished side will look.  I thought I read that you were going to have to use 3 sheets of 3/4" MDF to build up the sides for the right look?

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #342 on: September 27, 2011, 05:54:07 pm »
Is that the way the finished side will look.  I thought I read that you were going to have to use 3 sheets of 3/4" MDF to build up the sides for the right look?

I actually managed to modify the sides quite a bit for price and weight, however, I do have actually five layers of 3/4" MDF (two additional layers to continue the 45 degree angle and then three more for the front sides) to add on.  That's my next project - duplicating the 45 degree angle around the 's' shaped curve, and creating the front edge pieces.

Here's a view in Sketchup, from the bottom, to show what I mean.

It's coming together, and I've resigned myself to actually complete the build process before doing the shaping work.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #343 on: September 27, 2011, 08:04:56 pm »
each rendering counts as -1 picture

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #344 on: September 27, 2011, 08:12:15 pm »
+1.. err. 0.. or something.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #345 on: September 27, 2011, 10:37:25 pm »

Ok, with all honour due to the pic of Morpheus (The Matrix rocks) what if I do this...  I will resign myself to move the cab into a better location, and take a buttload of high-res pics tomorrow.  How about that?  Would that help to satiate the pic-hungry folk out there?

;D

dfmaverick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2016, 11:17:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #346 on: September 27, 2011, 11:09:45 pm »

:laugh2:

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #347 on: September 29, 2011, 09:24:12 am »
Ok, so I've been under the weather for the past few days, so I haven't had a chance to do any work on anything.  Truth be told, I haven't been out of bed for more than a couple of hours for the past few days, and came back into work yesterday.  So, I managed to move the cabinet into my living room temporarily, for the pictures that everyone has been demanding.  I'm both excited and discouraged, as I want to be further along than I am, but understanding that I have to use the time I'm given, and accept that the cabinet is still only in it's infancy.  There's going to be a LOT more the cleanup process, filling and sanding, priming and painting than there is to the actual construction itself.  And in that, I feel good.  (I just wish the construction part wasn't so ugly.)

Here's a shot from the front, showing a bit of the inside.  I haven't installed any supports of any kind, but the majority of the woodwork is held together with yellow carpenter's glue and either brad nails or screws, and yet, this thing is SOLID.  It hardly wobbles when I duck-walk it into different locations, which is saying a lot, considering it is only supported on three sides, two of which bear the majority of the weight.

From the side, with our cat, Shadow, investigating.  I think he likes it.

A shot from the rear, which helps to show more of the artistic nature of the back of the cabinet.  When I look at the reference photos from in-game and my plans, I note that the rear of the cabinet actually has a lot more character than the front, and I'm trying to do each piece justice.  I've got some custom pieces for the rear bottom sections to enclose those corners in, and you'll notice above what is presently assembled, that there's no rear door as yet.  I still have a lot of work ahead of me on the door mechanism...  I'm planning on getting more of the front complete before tackling this project, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the quirky nature of what I'm planning here.  Let's just say I want to finish it before I'm OUTATIME...

;)

Here's more of a close-up of the bottom section, in the next couple of photos.  Note the 'uncentered' rectangle (curse you, washed out lighting!) at the bottom.  The good news is, I won't need to Bondo any of it, as I actually made it about 75% smaller than what the plan had called for.  The bottom left corner is in the proper spot, however, the other three need to be stretched out.  So, that's awesome.  In the second pic, you may note that there are some 'shims' in between the upper and middle pieces.  Somehow, I forgot to account for the 1/8" blade... ...twice... ...and that left me with a nice, 1/4" gap.  I'll be hand-carving the 45 degree routed channels in there, where they attach, and there's an external custom vent I'm constructing to cover the rest that will be Bondo'd up anyhow.

The vent cover has gone through a couple of different ideas, and I think I've settled on the final draft.  It's not a huge undertaking to finish it, so it's likely to head to the top of the list rather quickly, and I think it should top the rear of the cabinet off rather nicely.

Some 'trivia' about the photos above:

• The group of pictures in the frames have been there for about two years, and only four of the eight frames have pictures in them.  The other four have the sheet that came with the frame.  I adjust them to be straight a couple times each week, and they're crooked AGAIN!
  • We bought the leather sofa a few years back, and they asked if we wanted the ottoman 'site unseen' for $700.  We did, and it turned out to be a leather covered behemoth, at 48" x 48" x 28".  It was too soft to put food on, even with a tray, and too high for you to comfortably sit and put your feet up on it.  We have since sold it.
  • I built the wainscoting from scratch, and for two rooms, it cost under $300.  It was only three sheets of 3/4" MDF, cut into 4" widths at Home Depot, and assorted trim.
  • The orange chair in the corner is one of a two-piece set my Wife bought on Craigslist.  The seller offered to deliver them to us at no charge, and when he arrived, he explained that one of the two had blown off his truck on the highway, and as a result, two of the legs had broken off.  (He wasn't lying, as his Wife was in our doorway laughing her ass off, as he sheepishly told the story.)  He said he understood if we didn't want them, and offered to drop the price by half.  We thanked him, and paid him in full.  It was a fair price, and was definitely worth the story that goes with it.  Especially when people ask, "Why is that chair lower than the other one?"  (No, I haven't replaced the damn legs yet!)
  • There's a Makita battery charging somewhere in the room.  Can you find it?

;D

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #348 on: September 29, 2011, 09:40:08 am »
I think what I like most about this build is how you make everything fun. I'm enjoying following your progress on this unique project.  :cheers:

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #349 on: September 29, 2011, 09:42:21 am »
I think what I like most about this build is how you make everything fun. I'm enjoying following your progress on this unique project.  :cheers:

Translation:  "It's too bad your cabinet looks like crap, but at least you can laugh at it."

;)

(I'm kidding!  Thanks for reading!  I'm having a blast!)

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #350 on: September 29, 2011, 09:59:14 am »

Charger?

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #351 on: September 29, 2011, 10:01:06 am »

Charger?

DING DING DING!!!  Winner!!!  (Like the pictures, that is actually it's unofficial home.  When I get my workshop built, I hope to have a more 'mature' charging station for all of my tools.)

;D

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #352 on: September 29, 2011, 10:01:26 am »

Translation:  "It's too bad your cabinet looks like crap, but at least you can laugh at it."

;)

(I'm kidding!  Thanks for reading!  I'm having a blast!)

Oh no way man. I think it's coming along great. 8)

I love the ambitious nature of this build. You just have a great attitude and the fun you're having with it really shows.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:41 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #353 on: September 29, 2011, 10:26:42 am »
  I'm planning on getting more of the front complete before tackling this project, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the quirky nature of what I'm planning here.  Let's just say I want to finish it before I'm OUTATIME...

You're either adding a flux capacitor or a Mr. Fusion, aren't you? :)
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #354 on: September 29, 2011, 10:31:42 am »

While I am considering some internal customization to show an 'alternative power source' (this is the future, after all) my clue has more to do with the door mechanism itself.  Let's just say I hope I don't run into any 'hold ups'.

:laugh:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #355 on: September 29, 2011, 12:12:29 pm »

While I am considering some internal customization to show an 'alternative power source' (this is the future, after all) my clue has more to do with the door mechanism itself.  Let's just say I hope I don't run into any 'hold ups'.

Is the access door going to be DeLorean door style vertical hatch?

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #356 on: September 29, 2011, 12:35:33 pm »
Is the access door going to be DeLorean door style vertical hatch?

Yes.  Yes, it is.

I'm going to install gas lift shocks on the rear door so that it opens upward, such as the gull-wing door vehicles do.  In looking at the original photos, and noticing that there are two spots centered in the door, one at the top and one at the bottom, I would estimate that the bottom would be the handle and the top would be some type of reinforcement for the hinge.  Going one step further, and seeing as we are talking about a number of years in the future, I would love to think that the door would open with an airlock-sounding 'phhhsssshhhhhhhh' and I'm trying to determine the best way to get that effect.  I am planning on incorporating an an LED Wiz, and I figure there must be some way of triggering a sound event whenever the door is opened.  Some type of switch, triggering a wav file, would likely be the way I'd hope to go.  (Once inside, I'm toying with some glowing red liquid in tubes, possibly a puff of fog from the fog machine.  You know, the basics of any 24th Century hardware.)

...and all this for the back of the unit, that people will see very rarely.

;D

Nephasth

« Reply #357 on: September 29, 2011, 01:22:46 pm »
Would be cool to have the sound of the doors in DOOM for that effect.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #358 on: September 29, 2011, 01:27:41 pm »
Would be cool to have the sound of the doors in DOOM for that effect.

OH... HELL... YES!!!  (Thank you so much!  What a great idea.)

;D

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #359 on: September 29, 2011, 02:18:29 pm »
348 replies and 18496 reads later, we now got something that resembles a cabinet!  Good job!  :applaud:  :laugh2: