Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Are they reliable?  (Read 2341 times)

rchadd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2013, 06:14:06 am
  • Made in Cornwall
Are they reliable?
« on: July 22, 2010, 06:20:45 am »
Hi I am currently thinking about getting myself a pinball machine (something not too expensive...so guess it will be probably be quite old machine!)

I kind of like the idea of getting a older EM machine (just missed out on a SpaceLab on ebay)

The only thing I am worried about is how reliable it will be...Will it be pot luck everytime I turn it on?

I guess SS pins are inherently more reliable.

Are there certain manufacturers that build better machines from a reliability standpoint?

I dont mind the odd bit of maintenance but don't really want to have something that need fixing every time i go to play.

Ps. I have seen video of Space Shuttle on youtube and just love the theme, graphics and sound effects - would that be a good pin to get? However not sure of feasibility of sourcing on as I am located in UK :(

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:22:43 am by rchadd »

Pinball Wizard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
Re: Are they reliable?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 07:42:39 am »
Most all pinball machines are pretty reliable if you play them regularly i.e. several games every week. If you are looking for a game every month or two I would say go with a SS instead of an EM or you will run into some more issues. Essentially the only problem I really have with my pinballs is that if they sit too long switch contacts get surface rust and then you have to clean them to get the working, EM games are full of many more switches than SS are is why I suggest that. Granted, I live in an area where 70% humidity is the norm so my switch contacts become surface rusted a whole lot quicker than most would.
Where's my gold star :P

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 11:09:11 am »
It depends what brand/hardware of SS game. Bally/Classic Sterns are the most reliable of the early SS bunch, with Williams in second and Gottlieb in third. Off brand SS games can be hard to fix/maintain due to the lack of parts and repair knowledge. On the other hand, I would recommend Gottlieb EMs. They have the best build quality and are fairly easy to maintain. I would avoid Chicago Coin games completely...poor quality...they cut many corners, tough to keep working 100% for long.
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

JODY

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:06:29 pm
  • After a long delay...the arcade is underway!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:02:57 pm »
Expect things to need adjustment / replacement often.  At least that is my experience after getting a few machines the last couple of months.  Kind of like having an old car.  Replacing many bulbs can be expected but buying older used machines can mean you'll need to do some work to get them fully operational.  Sellers usually say everything works but so far I haven't found one that does.  Besides many bulbs going out within a few games I've had switches go bad (ramp on T2), pop bumper switch act up on TAF, but mainly I'm still working on stuff that was already broke.  

I'm afraid to know the status of some of the main boards...haven't gotten that far yet. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:05:13 pm by JODY »

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 09:00:56 pm
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 01:02:35 pm »
I tought that SS had more required adjustement then EM.

We ran an old Playmatic for years in my parent's basement when I was young with no issues.
Of course, in that internetless day and age, once a part broke, we couldn't do anything to fix the flipper and ended up gutting/scraping it...

With internet, we still would have the machine.

anyway, I wouldn't say that EMs are unreliable.

Now, keep in mind that SS and EM are completely different types of gameplay, you might want to choose the game you like instead of wondering about reliability... it is useless to have a reliable machine that sees no action.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:04:16 pm by Marsupial »
-Mars

JODY

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:06:29 pm
  • After a long delay...the arcade is underway!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 07:40:06 pm »
Like Marsupial said, I would get what you want to play.  As long as you stick with something you can get parts for you'll be able to maintain it.  It is hard to generalize reliability across machines.  One machine may go without needing repairs while an identical make & model may seem like a lemon.

Gottlieb, Williams, Bally, Midway, and Stern all have readily available parts through various sources.  Many of the older SS games have new boards available that work with a number of machines and are more reliable than the originals.  E.g. old Gottlieb SS games were notorious for having reliability issues with the boards but reliable new boards are available.

Other factors can come into play as well.  Some people have noted more switch issues because they live in a high humidity environment that causes more rust to develop.  If you kept you machine in a controlled environment around 50% humidity you would have less of an issue in that area.

Pinball Wizard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:42:12 am »
Some people have noted more switch issues because they live in a high humidity environment that causes more rust to develop.  If you kept you machine in a controlled environment around 50% humidity you would have less of an issue in that area.

The biggest thing to go along with that is just play them regular. It is like a car. You let it sit for 3 years the tires dry rot, gas gets old, etc. But if you take it out for the sunday drive (or the saturday trip to the dump for some) it will keep be a lot more reliable. Remember, they are meant to be played not displayed.
Where's my gold star :P