Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Ambient Arcade" Audio Filter?  (Read 3521 times)

Vulgar Soul

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:48:57 pm
  • Make Some Noise!
"Ambient Arcade" Audio Filter?
« on: July 03, 2010, 01:02:44 am »
One thing I always recognized about the old arcades (at least the few left around as I grew up in the 90s) was that the music played in the environment had this distinct tone. Like a eery, heavy, but ambient "echo." It was most likely the acoustics of the Arcades or maybe the cheap sound systems, but it's a distinct sound I always recognize with the authenticity of the arcades. Sound systems nowadays can obviously play music and stuff a lot better and more clear, but that clarity takes a lot away from the "authenticity" so much of us Arcade purists go for.

I was wondering, is there a software or something out there that can sort of "filter" all the audio played out of my computer, so that maybe I can recreate that ambient Arcade style "echo?"

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
Re: "Ambient Arcade" Audio Filter?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 01:40:04 pm »
Might depend on your sound card setup and it's software.
My Creative Sound Blaster Live version has all kinds of environmental effects, special effects, and custom features that you can adjust and tweak until your hearts content.
There might be a stand alone software for this sort of thing, but I'm not aware of any particular one, never needed to look for one.
Maybe search audio "sound environments" or "special effects" software.

Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

Vulgar Soul

• Offline Offline
  • Make Some Noise!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 04:01:58 am »
Just bumpin this to see if there's anything else out there.

Just a nice audio or "effects" filter for computers.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 12:03:23 pm »
You know, I bet that's why the 'arcade ambiance' MP3s just didn't sound right to me.. You've sparked some inspiration in me now..

I think I might try and re-create the feel of the arcade in my town growing up, thinking about what games were there and their placement around the arcade.

Vulgar Soul

• Offline Offline
  • Make Some Noise!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 06:04:58 pm »
You know, I bet that's why the 'arcade ambiance' MP3s just didn't sound right to me.. You've sparked some inspiration in me now..

I think I might try and re-create the feel of the arcade in my town growing up, thinking about what games were there and their placement around the arcade.

Lol well actually, I was just referring to a simple audio software, similar to something like what Kevin Mullins posted before, that just filters through the all the audio on your computer to sound a certain way.

In the case of the Arcades, I always remembered them having this weird "echo." Just for reference, if you ever played the Xbox 360 Game Room they have an option for "Arcade Music Filter." When the option is on, all the music has that Arcade-like echo. When it's off, the music has more clarity but is just flat and normal. The Gameboy emulator, VisualBoy Advance, also has a sound filter "echo" option. Check any of those out to see what I'm goin for. Just a nice audio filter for computers or something that can recreate that effect for our MAME cabinets, or music in game rooms.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 11:26:08 am »
What would be the best would be for someone to record a couple of "impulses" in an actual arcade. This involves recording a loud sound that goes across a wide spectrum (like a balloon popping) in an otherwise silent location. This records the way that various frequencies decay by the environment.

From that you use it in an a 'convolution reverb' to apply those characteristics to another sound.

Lots of audio processing software exist in the fom of "VST Plugins". I wonder if there is software to let you route all system sound through one.. you could go a long way toward simulating the characteristics that various speakers in the actual arcade cabinets had on the sounds as they were played... similar to the way there are simulations of various guitar cabinet stacks.

Vulgar Soul

• Offline Offline
  • Make Some Noise!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:31:19 pm »
I was actually messin around with some music on GoldWave, and I was playing all of it with the "reverb" filter. This is exactly the effect I would like for all the music in my cabinet and game room. I'm not entirely sure about these VST Plugins, but how can there not be a software or piece of equipment out there that can just filter all outgoing audio with this effect? It would be perfect! Really adds some atmosphere to your room.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:34:55 pm by Mozee »

Vulgar Soul

• Offline Offline
  • Make Some Noise!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 03:24:37 am »
Okay I was looking into these VST Plugins you were talking about theme. Would these plugins allow me to add the reverb effect to my computer's audio? Do I just install these plugins into some Windows folder or something?

Also, would it also be possible to us an audio codec (I use ffdshow) to enable a reverb filter on my computer?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:05:34 am by Mozee »

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 07:51:07 am »
I'm still looking for a low latency solution. I've found two programs that together let you achieve the desired effect but it's going to add several hundred milliseconds of lag.

there are so many builds of mame with visual enhancers.. i think it's time for abuild with vst support.

Vulgar Soul

• Offline Offline
  • Make Some Noise!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 08:30:43 pm »
I'm still looking for a low latency solution. I've found two programs that together let you achieve the desired effect but it's going to add several hundred milliseconds of lag.

there are so many builds of mame with visual enhancers.. i think it's time for abuild with vst support.

Hey, still looking into this, and was wondering do you think a digital "audio signal processors" could work?

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/308854.html

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 06:02:36 am »
Yes, dedicated hardware would 'work', but I was looking for a software solution. A box like that is only going to give you so much range in what it can do with the signal. If it sounds right then great, but if it doesn't then you're stuck.