Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MaLa controller mapping  (Read 3694 times)

64bitcraft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 13, 2010, 12:16:21 am
MaLa controller mapping
« on: July 01, 2010, 03:52:21 pm »
I finally got the controller mapping feature of MaLa to work for my cocktail cabinet, but after the initial enjoyment, I discovered something:  Controller mapping only functions when you are displaying the lists of MAME roms.  Any gamelists for other emulators simply revert to using only the "set 1" of controls and remains in the rotation state you left it in last. 

So, I was wondering, is there a fix for this?  Editing an .ini file somewhere?

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: MaLa controller mapping
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 01:57:43 am »
Nope,

Do any other emu's run vertically ?

64bitcraft

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 10:28:15 am »
*face-palm* yeah, I guess I completely forgot that. No emus really run vertically.

But then, shouldn't the list default to the horizontal position once you switch away from Mame? My problem with the setup is that on my 3-sided cocktail, the screen stays in the vertical position, but the controls on the vertical side are suddenly inoperative, and you're stuck with using the specific control set to get back to the mame list so mala can rotate to a horizontal view.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 12:14:07 pm by 64bitcraft »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 04:23:55 am »
Really,

Well that is just wrong.  I will look at that

64bitcraft

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:30:52 am »
It's still in the 1.657 beta, so I could explain it more if you like? I know I'm not the clearest person out there.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:35:18 am »
It's still in the 1.657 beta, so I could explain it more if you like? I know I'm not the clearest person out there.

I have not changed anything in that area yet

How do you think it should work?

64bitcraft

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 12:28:48 pm »
Ok, so presently I have mala using a tree structure, along with the controller mapping option for three sides.  Once you get to the Mame gamelist, you can rotate the screen using the side controllers. However, once in vertical mode, I can use the side controls to navigate away from the Mame lists and eventually to a different emulator game list.  Once I get there, the side controls turn off and Mala defaults to set one (a good thing, since ems run in horizontal). However, the screen is left in the vertical position, and (since it can only rotate in the mame gamelists) you have to navigate back to the mame list w/ set one in order to get the screen to rotate.  Sets 2 & 3 remain off until you reach the mame list again.
     My thoughts: Sets 2 & 3 should either be on or off consistantly in the menus. They should probably remain on, that way, you can navigate back to the mame 'menu' in the tree and select a different gamelist without switching sides.  Therefore, two other things would need to happen.  a) the controls would have to be able to rotate the screen in any window/'menu' in the tree, not just the Mame gamelists.  b) Once the user enters a gamelist for another emu, Mala should rotate to the horizontal by default, and then switch off control sets 2 & 3.
     If, on the other hand, you wanted to keep the controller-mapping rotation feature only available in mame gamelists, Mala would have to default to the horizontal position once the user navigates away from a Mame gamelist.  All tree 'menu' screens would therefore be horizontal, with sets 2 & 3 inactive in them.  Again, I like the first method, because you can then navigate between mame gamelists, but its really up to whatever is possible/do-able.

Something new I saw with the beta: while in the arcade gamelists, when you press a button to auto-rotate the screen (up, down, or startgame), the button is still registering as pressed after the rotated screen fades in (i.e. I press down on set 2, Mala rotates, but then is continuously scrolling down the list until I press down again.).  This is new, so I'm pretty sure its not my ipac.
     I think what is supposed to be happening is that when you press up, down, or startgame of one set to change the rotation, Mala does not take any input from that key (no scrolling, no starting the game), but simply rotates and then takes input from additional presses.  Or at least it only registers a momentary press.

Again, thanks for all the help, loadman.  Keep up the great work!

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 09:35:40 pm »
Ok, so presently I have mala using a tree structure, along with the controller mapping option for three sides.  Once you get to the Mame gamelist, you can rotate the screen using the side controllers. However, once in vertical mode, I can use the side controls to navigate away from the Mame lists and eventually to a different emulator game list.  Once I get there, the side controls turn off and Mala defaults to set one (a good thing, since ems run in horizontal). However, the screen is left in the vertical position, and (since it can only rotate in the mame gamelists) you have to navigate back to the mame list w/ set one in order to get the screen to rotate.  Sets 2 & 3 remain off until you reach the mame list again.
     My thoughts: Sets 2 & 3 should either be on or off consistantly in the menus. They should probably remain on, that way, you can navigate back to the mame 'menu' in the tree and select a different gamelist without switching sides.  Therefore, two other things would need to happen.  a) the controls would have to be able to rotate the screen in any window/'menu' in the tree, not just the Mame gamelists.  b) Once the user enters a gamelist for another emu, Mala should rotate to the horizontal by default, and then switch off control sets 2 & 3.
     If, on the other hand, you wanted to keep the controller-mapping rotation feature only available in mame gamelists, Mala would have to default to the horizontal position once the user navigates away from a Mame gamelist.  All tree 'menu' screens would therefore be horizontal, with sets 2 & 3 inactive in them.  Again, I like the first method, because you can then navigate between mame gamelists, but its really up to whatever is possible/do-able.

Something new I saw with the beta: while in the arcade gamelists, when you press a button to auto-rotate the screen (up, down, or startgame), the button is still registering as pressed after the rotated screen fades in (i.e. I press down on set 2, Mala rotates, but then is continuously scrolling down the list until I press down again.).  This is new, so I'm pretty sure its not my ipac.
     I think what is supposed to be happening is that when you press up, down, or startgame of one set to change the rotation, Mala does not take any input from that key (no scrolling, no starting the game), but simply rotates and then takes input from additional presses.  Or at least it only registers a momentary press.

Again, thanks for all the help, loadman.  Keep up the great work!

I will ponder.

Thanks for the Bug report too  ;-)