Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 21" CRT Monitor shelf - Using Adhesive  (Read 2917 times)

Edwards80

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2011, 08:44:26 am
21" CRT Monitor shelf - Using Adhesive
« on: June 06, 2010, 02:32:05 pm »
Hi folks.

Just looking for a bit of very basic advice. I'm about to put the Monitor shelf into my MAME cab and want to make sure I don't make a balls of it.

I have 4 L brackets like this http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9796600&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB&fh_search=shelf+brackets&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1275848314596&isSearch=true (fortunately not at £7 a pop though!) and Have already cut a piece of 18mm MDF to size for the shelf.

My question is which adhesive to use to bond the brackets to the side of the cab? I obviously don't want screws showing on the side of the cab. I went to the B&Q down the road from me and "most of the glues and that are out back for re-stocking, we can't get them) so they had no hot-glue sticks/wood glues available  :banghead:

What would you folks recommend. I have plenty of this stuff http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unibond-No-More-Nails-Adhesive/dp/B001DZOXFY left over from another job I did but I want to make sure it would be up to the task of holding a 21" CRT up on the 4 brackets. The monitor must way 30kg's or so as an estimate.

Would appreciate any advice. If you are thinking, "Does this chap know nothing about woodworking?" . . the answer is yes  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:06:19 am by Edwards80 »
Hey Dudes thanks, for rescuing me, lets go for a burger.... HA! HA! HA! HA!

fixedpigs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2022, 04:56:10 pm
  • warning: drew can't handle my avatar...
Re: 21" CRT Monitor shelf - Using Adhesive
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:07:15 pm »
use titebond wood glue...

go ahead and use at least two screws for the ends of each bracket...just get the screws long enough so that they go through the bracket & halfway through the sides of your cab...mount them from the inside of the cab...that way no screws will show from the outside & the screws will help pull the brackets tight so the glue can get a good bond...

you'll want to drill the holes through the brackets so the screw slides though the hole & only screws into the cabinet sides...ideally you'd want four screws per bracket evenly spaced to evenly apply pressure for the glue to take hold...

:cheers:

Edwards80

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2011, 08:44:26 am
Re: 21" CRT Monitor shelf - Using Adhesive
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 05:01:56 am »
Hehe. Now I just need to find the right drill bit, the right screws and a titebond equivalent that is available in the UK :D

I had the cab built by Craig at Turnarcades who has been very helpful and recommended low temp-melt glue sticks. There are some pieces secured with this in the cab and they certainly aren't going anywhere so I may use these assuming my local hardware store decides to put them out for sale any time soon.

All part of the learning curve I guess :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:05:15 am by Edwards80 »
Hey Dudes thanks, for rescuing me, lets go for a burger.... HA! HA! HA! HA!