Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Reproduction Major Havoc & Star Wars Cockpit Cabinets!!!  (Read 5013 times)

Daviea

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2010, 06:51:56 pm
    • RAM Controls
Reproduction Major Havoc & Star Wars Cockpit Cabinets!!!
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:33:43 pm »
Hey guys,

In case you guys didn't know about the progress with the reproduction Major Havoc dedicated cabinets and Star Wars cockpit cabinets, I wanted to bring it up here on BYOAC.

I partnered up with Dptwiz (Brett) and together we're getting these cabinets made and available ASAP.  I believe that both are open to pre-order, too.  I know that's an ugly word around these parts, but the orders are being handled by DPTWIZ, not me.  LOL  He has a history of getting things done in a timely manner and his work is simply amazing!!  Also to note, Dptwiz is located in Ohio and the cabs will ship from there.  I'm working on options to make these available in other states (California, Texas, Florida, etc).  Give me some time on that one.

If you have not checked it out yet, go look on KLOV.

Here are the links:

Star Wars cockpit:  http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=129075

Major Havoc dedicated:  http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=129164

I'd like to mention that I'm very pleased to have Brett on-board with these projects - his attention to detail is excellent and his workmanship is superb!!

There's some really exciting developments this year with RAM Controls projects.  Keep watching for MORE!!!

Enjoy!!!

Dave

JustMichael

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
Re: Reproduction Major Havoc & Star Wars Cockpit Cabinets!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:23:38 am »
Even just seeing the bare plywood Star Wars cockpit is awesome.  The only problem with it I can see is a whole lot of us have grown too tall (others too fat or do they prefer portly?) to fit in the original cockpit comfortably.

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:53:35 am »
Even just seeing the bare plywood Star Wars cockpit is awesome.  The only problem with it I can see is a whole lot of us have grown too tall (others too fat or do they prefer portly?) to fit in the original cockpit comfortably.

I have to second that one.  They have (had?) a non working one at FunSpot and a little while back I took some pictures and hopped in for S&G and I can say for certain they never considered the 6'8" people out there.  :(  If it weren't for not fitting all that well in a SWC, it would definitely be on my list of "must haves" but I guess I'll have to settle for an UR.
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

MPS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2011, 10:24:10 pm
    • Back In Time
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:59:28 pm »
I have to second that one.  They have (had?) a non working one at FunSpot and a little while back I took some pictures and hopped in for S&G and I can say for certain they never considered the 6'8" people out there.  :(  If it weren't for not fitting all that well in a SWC, it would definitely be on my list of "must haves" but I guess I'll have to settle for an UR.

Yes, we do have the cockpit that you mentioned.  It has been removed from the floor and it is in need of a serious overhaul.  As someone who is 6'3" I can say they didn't take my height into consideration either.  :)

Best of luck to Dave on the reproduction project.

Mike Stulir
Board of Directors
The American Classic Arcade Museum @ Funspot
http://www.classicarcademuseum.org

MameMaster!

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 04:15:55 pm »
That's really cool stuff right there!  :cheers:
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?

Daviea

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2010, 06:51:56 pm
    • RAM Controls
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:38:32 pm »
Interesting point you guys bring up here....

Would there be any interest in a custom cockpit cabinet that's a bit larger for the bigger folks in our ranks?  I don't really see any issue in making it a bit longer/taller/wider aside from artwork issues.  But THAT can be handled in such a way that the borders would be a bid wider than normal.  I could totally see this happening, especially NOW when we're getting the bugs worked out of the prototypes.

Show of hands for a custom made super-size cockpit cabinet??

What dimensions should be increased, exactly? I'm 6'3" and I fit inside of a cockpit cab just fine.... :P

Dave

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 05:50:39 pm »
It would depend on where the adjustments are made I suppose.  I couldn't see moving the seat back any further since that would hinder "normal" or smaller sized people from reaching the controls...

In all honesty though, the price is to prohibitive for me to say anything more than "I might buy one."
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

MPS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2011, 10:24:10 pm
    • Back In Time
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 12:08:12 pm »
Interesting point you guys bring up here....

Would there be any interest in a custom cockpit cabinet that's a bit larger for the bigger folks in our ranks?  I don't really see any issue in making it a bit longer/taller/wider aside from artwork issues.  But THAT can be handled in such a way that the borders would be a bid wider than normal.  I could totally see this happening, especially NOW when we're getting the bugs worked out of the prototypes.

Show of hands for a custom made super-size cockpit cabinet??

What dimensions should be increased, exactly? I'm 6'3" and I fit inside of a cockpit cab just fine.... :P

Dave

I think for me, I find that cabinet difficult to get in and out.  I feel like I have to stoop down and bend in an uncomfortable way to get seated.  Funny thing is, I sit in Pole Position, Red Baron, TX-1 & MACH 3 cockpits all of the time and they never bother me.  Once I am inside a SW cockpit, I am more than comfortable.

I wasn't stating you should build a bigger cabinet.  I think what you have done is awesome.  I was just agreeing with "crashwg" about the original Atari cabinet design not being friendly for taller people.

Dave, check your PM.

Mike Stulir
Board of Directors
The American Classic Arcade Museum @ Funspot
http://www.classicarcademuseum.org