Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Updating my MAME  (Read 1767 times)

Blacksmith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2013, 10:46:36 pm
  • I want to build my own light saber!
Updating my MAME
« on: April 14, 2010, 10:27:20 pm »
Had an opportunity to trade my Mame for a pinball this coming weekend so I thought I would go over the mame to make sure everything was operational.  Turned it on and the pc is fubar.  I've had issues with it in the past.  It was built in 2002 and by today's standards is waaaaayyyy out of date.  Not sure what the processor or ram is in it, but I do know that last fall a friend of mine was updating my roms and switching me over to maximus frontend and my system cough, sputtered, and burped, refusing to play alot of the new games.  I gave up and had him load the basics.  I loved the front end and the system seemed ok at the time, but I sure would have liked to see the newer stuff on it.  Well, I guess I'll get that wish now as it seems the pc is going to the graveyard.
So here is my long winded question...what is a realistic price range for a new/newer pc that should run most anything out there today?  I don't want to spend a fortune either.  The mame machine is built, I just need new brains for her.  What should I buy, where should I buy it?  What price am I looking at?  I'm not opposed to used stuff, just needs to be reliable.  We'll call this "Re-design on a dime." 
Here are some factoids though:  my machine currently has a Wells Gardner D9200 monitor in it (from 2002), track ball, spinner, 2- 8 way joysticks, 1- 4 way joystick.  Set up for two players.  Has Ipac and Optipac.  I plan on using Maximus again for frontend.  I also have an Act Labs pc USB light gun.  I bought it around the same time that I built the machine, but could never really set the gun up right or zero it in.  I think there were known issues with the gun versus my particular monitor.  I sure would like to be able to use this gun or another when all is said and done.  Maybe there have been fixes for it since I originally tried to use it.  Any info would be welcome.
Thanks all!  I welcome your input. :dunno

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
Re: Updating my MAME
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 09:55:30 am »
what are the specs on the PC you have in there now?   I have a Pentium 4 3ghz with 2gb of ram and most games run pretty well.  Check with your local pc repair shops, flea markets, goodwill..places like that, you should be able to pick up a computer like that pretty cheap.   if you want to be able to run alot of the CHD games, then you will need something with a little more power
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:35:02 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:03:23 am »
You can build a new, decent PC for around $200 - $300.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:19:18 am »
Not sure where you're located but check for those computer shows. I've heard you can get things pretty cheap there. They usually have them 2 days in the same place, so you can test the equipment to make sure it works  ;D

I'm actually going to one this Sat. (in New Jersey). It's called the Computer MarketPro Shows.

:cheers:

Blacksmith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2013, 10:46:36 pm
  • I want to build my own light saber!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 12:09:31 pm »
can anyone address the pc light gun issue with my D9200 monitor?  also, just tell me what size processor and how much ram so I can focus my search.
thanks