Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monitor DEAD?? Out of no where?  (Read 1440 times)

turbo20lbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2003, 11:07:33 am
  • I'm a llama!
Monitor DEAD?? Out of no where?
« on: July 28, 2003, 11:26:34 am »
Hi guys I came across this forum in a search for monitor help and thought I'd give it a shot.

I have a dedicated Mortal Kombat 3 Midway cabinet with original  25" monitor.  I think it's a Wells Gardner K7000 but not sure cause it reads differently on the back frame of it (not sure what off hand Im at work right now).

The Problem:  It doesn't work!  NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING.  I was playing it one day, was working perfectly fine as always (owned it for 4 years).  I go to play it again the same day, and I hear this repeating "sound" coming from the monitior, but no picture what so ever.  No glow, no "static" sensation from the screen at all.

It's like the monitor isn't "firing" up the tube or something.  I just hear this "sound" coming from the monitor, that sounds like a electrical "jeew" noise (sorta like a laser beam sound?)  

This is very hard to describe sorry.  Anyways, this sound keeps repeating itself over and over in a cycle with the power switch on.

It makes this sound in a perfect pattern,  like..

"jeew"......"jeew"......"jeew"......"jeew"......

I thought it was maybe the jamma board, so I switched it and sure enough same thing.  I know the monitor is getting it's 120v, but that's it.  I am a total noob when it comes to troubleshooting this game.

It's just I expected that if the monitor ever failed, it would be gradual with some sort of warnings, like lines or color problems and such.  But this worked perfectly for years, then out of no where, completely dead.

Any help would be great, and any info on if this is worth tryin to fix or should I just find a replacement.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 11:43:55 am by turbo20lbs »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:36:38 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re:Monitor DEAD?? Out of no where?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 04:41:58 pm »
Horizontal output transistor?

These usually cause the monitor to make a "ticking" sound, but it might be different with yours.

If it is the HOT, then replacing it might fix it.  But if there is another failed component that caused it to blow, it probably won't stay working long.

RandyT

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 10:27:14 pm »
http://www.dameon.net/BBBB/whiny.html

This sound like your problem?
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:36:38 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 01:22:51 am »
http://www.dameon.net/BBBB/whiny.html

This sound like your problem?

This describes a noisy but working monitor.  This won't be the culprit.

RandyT

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 12:27:31 am »
It may have been before it died. Could be two separate problems. Or one the cause of the other.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.