Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What to look for in a DK purchase?  (Read 1908 times)

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
What to look for in a DK purchase?
« on: July 21, 2008, 06:54:51 pm »
I'm not anxious to buy, but I do watch craigslist and today a DK popped up. It's the game I'd like to have as a dedicated cab more than any other. It claims to be in great condition and is selling for $800. Now I'm not paying $800 for anything at this stage (whether that's a good deal or not, though I do wonder what people think is a good price for it).

But since this item has grabbed my attention, it made me wonder, "what should I be looking for in a DK"? I really know nothing about how to tell if it's an original rather than a conversion or how to assess the condition beyond the obvious "art looks good, game works, monitor lacks major screen burn" kind of stuff.

I'd love advice specifically in regard to DK's, but also generally for any classic. Ultimately I might like to have several cabs (particularly when we buy a new house with more space!), so the learning starts here! :)

Thanks!
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

extendedplayarcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2018, 11:14:26 pm
  • The Games You Crave
    • Extended Play Arcade
Re: What to look for in a DK purchase?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:32:38 pm »
Well I seen really mint almost brand new DK cabinet with working boards and brand new monitors go in the $1,300 range plus shipping or free if picked up.  for 800 bucks I am guessing the screen is original but working.  Might have some burn in but nothing like the old pac-man burn in.  The artwork is probably all there but has a few scratches or so.  Also depending on if it is an original board or replaced.

Some people really love the original ones and pay more if one is in mint condition.  They are really hard to find.  I seen some really nice DK machines go for 400 bucks but depending on the area and demand it is if the price yeild a higher cost.

One man's junk is another man's treasure.  You know that old dealio.

i don't know if this helps but i been doing some research myself seeing after watching the King of Kong got me all hooked to play DK.  But mame DK has been doing the trick. 

good luck
brent
www.extendedplayarcade.com

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 05:13:58 am »
Pretty high price I'd say. Depends on condition of course. I think King of Kong did create a "hype" in getting these cabs recently.

What to look for also depends on what you want. Do you want a machine you buy, put in the plug and play or are you willing to do some work to get it running. It also depends on what is available in you area. Overhere, I've been extremely lucky to find my RS/MB cab. It did cost me quite some money though, even without a PCB inside ! However, I found a MB PCB (and now several other Nintendo PCBs) for pretty cheap. You have to be willing to take a bit of a gamble, I bought the MB and DK and DKjr boards as untested. Both the MB and DK work, the jr. is dead though. Could be any easy fix, but that also depends on your electronics skills.

If there's damage on the cab, can you repair it, are you willing to spend money for new art etc.

Also check if there's an original PSU in there, what monitor is it and what's the condition ?

There's a whole lot of factors to look at really.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:29:53 am »
Also check if there's an original PSU in there, what monitor is it and what's the condition ?

But that's my point... I wouldn't know what to look for with stuff like that. I have no idea how to distinguish an original PSU from a replacement (or even if I should care) or how to determine what monitor it is and what it should be.

I realize it's a bit of a gamble - it always is if you're buying something used. I'm just trying to leverage everyone else's experience and knowledge so I can make a relatively informed decision. I don't need an exhaustive list of things I could consider - just a half-dozen or so of the "key" things to look for.

Thanks!
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Jdurg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:01:24 am »
An option that is almost never mentioned but might be kind of interesting would be to completely build an original cabinet from scratch.  There are so many original DK Cab owners here that I can almost guarantee that people will be willing to take pictures and measurements for you so that you can build one completely from the ground up just like Nintendo did.  It would also be great to see that documented here and then perhaps we could see a lot more "new" old cabs.   :cheers:
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:52:42 pm »
No question about the $800 - at least for me it's too high. And I'm in no rush to buy either - I don't even really have a spot to put it (more of planning ahead for the next house we plan to buy soon which will need to have a big "entertainment room"). I just sent the guy an email (no phone # listed) with a bunch of questions about the condition, and said I'd only be interested if he's willing to consider lower offers. He only listed it yesterday so I don't want to insult the guy by (at least in his mind) lowballing him right off the bat. Hopefully he doesn't get any serious bites and decides to haggle with me.

He also said it includes free delivery in my metro area, so really that must be a factor in the price. I mentioned that I'd like to see it first and would prefer to pick up rather than have it delivered, so maybe that works in my favor in negotiating a lower price.

It's way too early to get excited or anticipate a purchase here, but if anything comes of this of course you guys will hear about it!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 04:09:19 pm »
Check out the restoration section. There's a zillion threads about Donkey Kong/Nintendo cabs.....well OK, a couple.

Buying a 27 years old electronic device is always a gamble. You can't expect 100%  reliability. Then again, if it works, it's not like it will break down every week or month. But you have to be able/willing to do some basic work on it when needed. There's heaps of info about DK cabs around on the internet and lots of people own one.
A replica maybe a nice project if you're looking for something like that, but for me (and most collectors I guess) that would be just that: a replica, a copy.

Anyway some info:

This is the original Nintendo Power supply set-up.

If there's a switcher inside, it doesn't have to be a problem, again it's just what you want. Do you like to have it as original as possible or can you live with some "hacks" ?

The monitor used in the vast majority of DK cabs is the Sanyo 20EZ. Looks like this:

Pretty easy to recognize with that frame construction.

Earlier (red!) cabs can also have the Sanyo 20C instead. It's basically the forerunner of the EZ.
My RS/MB has one and it's mounted in a wooden "box".

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 06:27:26 pm »
Thanks Level42.