Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need help mounting JLF to conversion plate  (Read 894 times)

rackoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2024, 01:12:10 pm
  • I EAT PENCILS!
Need help mounting JLF to conversion plate
« on: May 14, 2024, 11:06:17 am »
Hello guys. I have built 15 arcades, stand ups, bar tops, and cocktails using this site and all of you folks as resources. Been doing this so long that when I started LCD screens were not an option.

Anyway, I always use plywood control panels, but this time Im using an old metal street fighter control pannel with holes for american sticks. I am using JLF's this time around and bought some conversion plates from Paradisearcade to do so. The sticks I ordered were without plates because I didnt need the stock ones.

Do I need ot take this whole thing apart to put nuts under the black frame. I dont see threads on it. its plastic and would strip out so ill asume thats the case. The m3 screws I orderd seem small. I went to the hardware store and m4 seem goofy to, heads are too small. Someone said glue or locktight is involved also. Could someone give me a point in the right directions plaease. It would be a big help. :dunno
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2024, 01:12:10 pm
  • I EAT PENCILS!
Re: Need help mounting JLF to conversion plate
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 12:28:05 pm »
Hmmmmm, OK, took it apart and see hex shapes so its all about a nut being under there. What about glue or locktight though?  :dunno

By the way i know some of you experts are laughing hard right now becuase its elementary stuff.
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:40:55 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 01:38:30 pm »
it does indeed have locktite on the screws... since you ordered without a plate, it's up to you to supply the machine screw and nut. Going on memory, I believe it is a M4x10 with a countersunk head (also called "flat") will fit just fine. (was going to check the sticks I have to make sure, but it seems i've used them somewhere already.)

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2024, 01:01:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2024, 04:43:14 pm »
I used a Paradise conversion plate as a top mount on a 3/4" wooden panel awhile back. Don't know if this info. Is helpful or not. I traced it and routed to even depth and installed. I then installed the stick connecting bolts with jb-weld and screwed each one from the other side with those tee nuts (think that's what they're called) and let everything set. I then ground the pan screw heads even and applied a coat of bondo to fill and installed artwork so no lines visible. I know you're using a metal panel but maybe some of this would be applicable to your situation.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2024, 10:33:02 am »
I used a Paradise conversion plate as a top mount on a 3/4" wooden panel awhile back. Don't know if this info. Is helpful or not. I traced it and routed to even depth and installed. I then installed the stick connecting bolts with jb-weld and screwed each one from the other side with those tee nuts (think that's what they're called) and let everything set. I then ground the pan screw heads even and applied a coat of bondo to fill and installed artwork so no lines visible. I know you're using a metal panel but maybe some of this would be applicable to your situation.

for future reference, you may be able to contact a metal fabrication shop, who for a few bucks, can use a type of spot welder to fuse a threaded stud onto sheet steel often called "stud welding". call up a couple places and ask if they do such a thing, and if they do... if they have some time to install 4 or 8 (or however many you need) studs onto your sheetmetal. if you aren't picky about how long it could take, you can get a great deal (sometimes a buck or two a piece) but if you have a schedule you need to keep or need it immediately, be prepared to pay shop rate plus the stud cost.

there is no penetration through the metal at all since the stud fuzes to the metal and will remain in place fairly strongly. i have managed to tighten one down hard enough to break it off, but i was being really overzealous with it... and i had a couple on one panel that didn't quite fuse on there properly and they broke off easily. (i think there may have been some residue on the metal preventing proper fusing.) both times the shop just rewelded new ones on there while i waited, no questions asked.

overall they are a great way to mount stuff to your metal panel without making a bunch of holes you need to cover or fill... which is great for a painted panel.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2024, 01:01:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2024, 01:01:35 pm »
Thanks lilshawn,
Great idea! Sure would've saved me a lot of work. I recently bought a stick welder off of Amazon but probably wouldn't work for spot welding.... 

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2024, 01:37:25 pm »
I recently bought a stick welder off of Amazon but probably wouldn't work for spot welding.... 

if you are very light with your touch and turn the power down, you can lightly (and repeatedly) tack weld a cutoff bolt to a panel without too much burning/distortion using a MIG (wire feed) welder... i don't know that i'd try with a stick welder if i didn't absolutely have to, as they can be more akin to a bull in a china shop. Would not recommend for the average DIY'er, as you could just blow a hole right through the panel that you then have to fill and grind out.