Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sony PVM Series Monitor Questions..  (Read 27311 times)

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
Re: Sony PVM Series Monitor Questions..
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2009, 01:26:48 pm »
Something tells me you guys are %100 on the money with respects to trying the RGB connection. However myself I would have no idea as to who to fabricate this cable.
I will however see if I can locally source it and give it a shot.

Im happy with the image I get now,but I know its way lacking.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2009, 01:33:37 pm »
I just wanted to add I appreciate all the input and advice you guys gave me.
I thank you all very much.
I'm very much new to this hobby and often find I second guess myself.
Its a major reason as to why some of my projects have stalled, however Im forever gaining confidence in this hobby. My PVM monitor was an example of that. On the norm I would have never opened it up. But upon doing so I was able to use some logic and figure out a possible resolution. It would not have been without the help of you guys and the reassurance I found. So again thanks. I really like being involved in a community of people with like interests.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2009, 03:04:56 am »
Hacking a cable is basically doing what the manufacturers do in the first place: they solder wires to a connector interface. In this case you get a DB25 that fits the jack on your monitor; leaving a little slack on the connector side, you cut the DB15 off one side of a VGA cable; you open up that side to see the wiring connections and match that with a VGA pinout you find online; then you solder the corresponding wires of the cable to the DB25 connector per the instructions in my thread linked by Zebidee.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2009, 02:22:32 pm »
I'd love to see how good these cables could look, I can tell that the s-video is not providing me with the optimum picture. BUT BUT BUT I won't complain, its playable. That onto itself is massive.

MAME is done as I noted prior : http://www.mymissiontomame.blogspot.com/ (THANKS!)
I will at some point see if locally someone can help me with these cables.
But for now I'll settle with the s-video.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:41:24 am
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2009, 06:32:01 pm »
Why not ask Ummon to do the cable for you? He has the experience now. I'm sure that you guys could come to some mutually acceptable arrangement.
Check out my completed projects!

Jack Burton

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2009, 03:27:59 pm »
If you're uncomfortable soldering a cable to a db25 connector this may be a good alternative:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DB25-Female-Signals-Breakout-Board-parallel-port_W0QQitemZ300351882760QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ee5e0608

combined with one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10212&cs_id=1021201&p_id=1591&seq=1&format=2
You won't have to buy it from monoprice.  You can probably go to your local used computer parts store and pick one up for a dollar or so.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 03:31:00 pm by Jack Burton »

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2009, 03:05:18 pm »
That's a damn good idea, Jack.

<later>

....wait a minute. If you're gonna chop a cable an all, you might as well solder it. But at the very least, I doubt that PCB unit is heavy enough to worry about needing to relieve any physical stress on the monitor input.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 04:52:52 pm by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.