Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade control panel top attaching with velcro question?  (Read 2238 times)

rdowdy95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2011, 11:48:50 am
  • This is my rifle.
Arcade control panel top attaching with velcro question?
« on: March 07, 2007, 02:11:06 pm »
Hey guys I am going by the Project Arcade book, and I have attached my 3 inch long  1inch wide scrap pieces to the top of my control panel.  I used wood glue and a screw in the middle.  Haven't done the finishing nails yet still looking for small 1/2" finishing nails.  Anyways...On the little scrap wood pieces I am attaching to the interior side pieces of the control panel box.  I figure I use some wood glue and let it dry but do I need to screw a screw into the side of the little wood pieces......also with the glue.  It would be like screwing a screw into  the side where you can see the plywood.  Would this cause the ply to crack or split?

This was in the main forums, but I didn't get a response.  So I have put it here in woodworking.

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
Re: Arcade control panel top attaching with velcro question?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 06:00:14 pm »
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but in general wood glue is very strong. Typically the glue bond is stronger than the surrounding wood. The only reason to use screws are: if you can't clamp the piece you're gluing, if you want the piece to be removable (i.e. no glue), or if you don't don't want to wait for the glue to set before removing your clamps.

Don't use nails for anything. Glue and/or screws are much better.

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 06:12:51 pm »
First off Scott thanks so much for the reply.  The little finishing nails are just going to be inserted to hold the velcro to the strips better.  Not necessary, but would make sure the velcro doesn't come up.  I might not even use them. 

The glue is a neccisity.  Inside my control panel box will be some mounting strip pieces like bottom parts.  The underside of the control panel top will also have mounting strips of scrap wood.  The way right now I have 4 mounting blocks with velcro on them.  They will attach to the mounting blocks inside the control panel box with the other side of velcro.  What I have to do is glue my mounting blocks for the inside of the control panel box.  Now once those are glued in I was asking if I need to actually screw in those wood pieces aka screw them to the inside of the control panel box, or do you think  the woodglue would hold those bottom mounting strips each time I remove the control panel top by pulling on the velcro?

Another thing is the place on the wood strips I would be screwing is on the wood strips side which is the plywood side of the strip?  If you don't understand what I am saying I can take some pictures tonight.  It is the way that saint did his control panel box in his book Project arcade.

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 11:45:56 am »
Let me kind of just rephrase a little bit, and I hope some of you understand it now.  I am using 3/4" plywood scrap pieces.  The scrap pieces are 3" long and 1" wide.  These are little mounting blocks that I am using in conjuction with velcro to attach my control panel top to my control panel box. 

My question is this.  I am needing to install 4 of these blocks to the inner sides of my control panel box.  When I lay the control panel top down I already have 4 of these little mounting blocks attached to the underside of the control panel top.  So the control panel top is good to go. 

Back to my question.  I know I am going to be using wood glue to attach the remaining mounting blocks to the inner sides of the control panel.  Should I also use some wood screws as well.  Now here is where my question really shines and what I should of just asked to begin with.  Can I screw a screw into the sides of wood ply.  Like what I want to know is, is it safe to do.  I figure if I screw into the wood ply side it may split or crack????  What do you guys think?

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 01:34:01 pm »
If you pre-drill the holes, you shouldn't have any splitting or cracking. Make sure you drill holes of the proper size; if you pre-drill too big, your screws won't hold. If you clamp the boards in place and use Titebond wood glue, or something similar, you really shouldn't need the screws. They do help speed up the process, though: apply glue to scraps, clamp in position, pre-drill screw holes, insert screws, remove clamps and go to the next block. If you don't use screws, you'll have to wait for the glue to setup before you can move to the next block.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 03:23:15 pm »
I'd use screws as well, for the speed factor (no clamping time) and the fact that the support block will have lateral pressure from playing.

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 04:10:27 pm »
Cool.  I will use my wood glue then predrill and screw in the screws.

Thanks so much guys.  Yeah I screwed and glued the first set of mouting blocks.  I let the glue set for like 5 minutes not even clamped but pushed wood together then did the drill pilot hole and then used screw.