Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)  (Read 407986 times)

sWampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2010, 04:23:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)
« Reply #1520 on: April 03, 2006, 11:14:54 am »
Is there a mirror to with the smog driver?  I can't get to
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/smogdragon/

812MANY

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2006, 08:54:25 pm
« Reply #1521 on: April 03, 2006, 11:46:09 pm »
to those of you using powered usb hubs please tell me what kind and the model number of the hubs you use.  I am having trouble finding a powered usb hub that supplies at least 600ma per port....seems like they all do only 500ma per port.   am i right that you need at least 600ma for the gun and another 600ma for the recoil?(at least thats what it says on the box)

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #1522 on: April 04, 2006, 01:34:36 pm »
to those of you using powered usb hubs please tell me what kind and the model number of the hubs you use.  I am having trouble finding a powered usb hub that supplies at least 600ma per port....seems like they all do only 500ma per port.   am i right that you need at least 600ma for the gun and another 600ma for the recoil?(at least that's what it says on the box)

600ma is out of spec for USB.  500ma is the spec'ed max, although the hubs are supposed to handle higher than 500ma surges (for times a device is plugged in) but not too high surges that might fry something.  (Yes, it's spec'ed about that vaguely.)

So you will not find any hub that lists greater than 500ma.  (Which might be why some people's recoil, including mine, froze.)  I believe I was plugged into my belkin 7 port 2.0 USB hub when my recoil froze, but it could have been the front port from my MSI Neo 2 motherboard.

OTOH, if people with working recoil could post the hub/motherboard they are using, we might see a pattern on hubs that can supply 600ma reliably (or if it's the guns).
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #1523 on: April 04, 2006, 02:23:47 pm »
I still think that we should really be working at powering the recoil and the LEDs from a seperate power source.   Seems like for 5 buck adapter and a few ends you could power all 3 (two guns recoil and one led) without worry about frying your motherboard.

BULL

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2011, 02:18:08 am
  • GAUNTLET FOREVER
« Reply #1524 on: April 04, 2006, 02:48:25 pm »
thats what i

lvlarc_uk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2006, 04:26:24 am
« Reply #1525 on: April 04, 2006, 03:26:23 pm »
Hey folks I'm new here. My gun arrived this morning and I've been testing it with Time Crisis 3 for PS2, everything is good so far, well not everything...

The Calibration was tricky, I cant get it to work so it uses the full screen, its always missing 3 or 4 inches on the border of the screen.

I got it running on a projector screen about 70 inches diagonally.

I tried putting the LED's on the sides but the Calibration wasnt working so I moved them inward by about 7 inches each and now it works but I'm missing a few inches on the border when shooting.

Is it possible to run this LCD TOPGUN on a 70 inch screen properly?

I hope I'm making sense, oh and great site!  ;D

aljupy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2011, 07:30:06 pm
« Reply #1526 on: April 04, 2006, 05:21:01 pm »
Hey folks I'm new here. My gun arrived this morning and I've been testing it with Time Crisis 3 for PS2, everything is good so far, well not everything...

The Calibration was tricky, I cant get it to work so it uses the full screen, its always missing 3 or 4 inches on the border of the screen.

I tried putting the LED's on the sides but the Calibration wasnt working so I moved them inward by about 7 inches each and now it works but I'm missing a few inches on the border when shooting.
Oh, my english is too bad, I do not know if you Speak Spanish, but I solved your same problem here http://www.hardcore-gamer.net/foros/showthread.php?t=2497&page=3 If you can not understand nothing, I

lvlarc_uk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1527 on: April 04, 2006, 05:58:10 pm »

Oh, my english is too bad, I do not know if you Speak Spanish, but I solved your same problem here http://www.hardcore-gamer.net/foros/showthread.php?t=2497&page=3 If you can not understand nothing, I

tkuper05

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2022, 07:57:24 pm
  • I find your lack of buttons disturbing.
« Reply #1528 on: April 04, 2006, 06:12:48 pm »
Hey lvl_arc_uk read this review.  They had the same problem.  http://gear.ign.com/articles/689/689009p1.html

tkuper05

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1529 on: April 05, 2006, 06:49:10 pm »

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2017, 01:14:21 pm
« Reply #1530 on: April 05, 2006, 08:04:54 pm »
why are you guys so worried about the recoil?  it stinks anyways.  wait till one of the led boards offers a cheap solenoid relay for some real kick.  of course, you'll have to hack the gun camera into a roomier shell.

MacroX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2007, 11:27:30 pm
« Reply #1531 on: April 05, 2006, 09:33:58 pm »
Following power consumtion more accurate :
100mA for TopGun~
200mA for LED stand~
100mA~400mA for Recoil~

I suggest buy a DC power supplly for recoil.

to those of you using powered usb hubs please tell me what kind and the model number of the hubs you use.  I am having trouble finding a powered usb hub that supplies at least 600ma per port....seems like they all do only 500ma per port.   am i right that you need at least 600ma for the gun and another 600ma for the recoil?(at least thats what it says on the box)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 09:38:26 pm by MacroX »

tkuper05

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1532 on: April 06, 2006, 11:17:05 am »
Does operation wolf work with .105?

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2010, 05:53:51 pm
    • CPViewer
« Reply #1533 on: April 06, 2006, 11:22:23 am »
Yes. It is the first system I tested with last evening.

John

lvlarc_uk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1534 on: April 06, 2006, 10:00:03 pm »
I just bought EndGame for PS2 but I cant get the LCD TOP GUN to work with it. It worked fine with Time Crisis 3.

Have I just wasted
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 10:35:27 pm by lvlarc_uk »

lvlarc_uk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1535 on: April 06, 2006, 11:50:28 pm »
Now I have another problem, tried using it with Time Crisis 3 but it wouldnt Calibrate, it worked fine yesterday :(

I press and hold Start and Select and the laser doesnt reposition and it doesnt flash when Im Calibrating it, anyone else having this problem?  Is my gun broke already after just 1 day?

If it is im gonna be pissed.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #1536 on: April 07, 2006, 01:03:34 am »
That  may be because pressing start and Select actualy CANCELS the calibration. You have to read the F manual. (OK press A&B buttons together, this starts calibration....)

I have to say the gun is pretty nice, it feels really good and handles quite well. Quality is better then I'd expected. The only thing I'm thinking about now is replacing the trigger microswitch with a leaf. Or at least a much better microswitch which is a bit lighter to trigger. But I haven't opened the gun yet so I'm not sure how the trigger is constructed.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 01:05:53 am by Level42 »

aljupy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1537 on: April 07, 2006, 02:47:55 am »
@MARC Your gun is not broken, at least I think that.

DO NOT plug the gun Before turning ON your PS2.

Do the opposite: Turn on your PS2, and after loaded the game, connect your LightGun.  This way it works better for me.

Sometimes If I plug the Gun and turn on my PS2...it gets stuck.

About callibration.....Wich kind of TV have you got?? ...Let me guess a CRT TV...isn

aljupy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1538 on: April 07, 2006, 02:56:21 am »
HEY, PEOPLE:

EMS ARE WORKIN IN A LARGER AND BRIGHTER LEDS ( Sold separately  >:( ) IT IS SUPPOSED THAT YOU MUST NOT PUT THEM IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR BIGGER SCREEN.

Maybe it even have a better LIFE CYCLE. LEDS ARE BIGGER AND BRIGHTER.

It could be the GOOD WAY to play in a BIG PROJECTOR

SEE YOU!!!!

P.S. BTW Instead of that they would be better in doing a good driver. We bought LightGuns to them, not to SMOG

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2009, 04:54:06 am
  • Built the cab, just need the time to play!
« Reply #1539 on: April 07, 2006, 04:18:33 am »
why are you guys so worried about the recoil?  it stinks anyways.  wait till one of the led boards offers a cheap solenoid relay for some real kick.  of course, you'll have to hack the gun camera into a roomier shell.

recoil just plain doesnt work for some people, including me. Doesnt matter if I use powered hubs, seperate power supplies etc.. ive tried all combinations, it freezes my systems and disables the gun each time it is enabled.

lvlarc_uk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1540 on: April 07, 2006, 05:01:42 am »
@MARC Your gun is not broken, at least I think that.

DO NOT plug the gun Before turning ON your PS2.

Do the opposite: Turn on your PS2, and after loaded the game, connect your LightGun.  This way it works better for me.

Sometimes If I plug the Gun and turn on my PS2...it gets stuck.

About callibration.....Wich kind of TV have you got?? ...Let me guess a CRT TV...isn
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 07:39:21 am by lvlarc_uk »

aljupy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1541 on: April 07, 2006, 05:53:28 am »
The USB powers the gun fine and the LED's but I think I damaged it by plugging in an AC adapter (too much wattage?) into the recoil which also connects to PS2 USB.
Why didn´t you connected it to the second port free USB?? Well, doesn´t matter...but you can connect recoil to 500 mah OR ABOVE so I think that the only two main things that can fry it is: a Wrong voltage (Inverted) or an excess voltage.
In my case, if I play with Dual Gun in a PS2...then I connect the Recoil ports to my XBOX  :angel:
Now I have emailed Play-Asia and asked for an exchange, do you think they will accept this?
I think they could change it...but pray that PLAY-ASIA don´t read your post.....if you really fried it...I do not know if they would change it  :notworthy:
I do not know the return´s policy. Also, if you must pay all the shipping costs...maybe it could be cheaper in some €uropean or american store without paying High taxes.

Also another thing, do you know where I can get a USB multi adapter so I can use 2 guns?
mmmmmm Exactly at this moment I don´t know.......Just Google it.

See you!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 05:55:27 am by aljupy »

lvlarc_uk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1542 on: April 07, 2006, 06:00:57 am »
Well I connected it to 2nd port for more power and it worked, but I didnt have an adapter to fit directly into bottom of gun so I did using the cord connected to USB.

Man I got great power in that recoil  ;D It was working great with 7.5 or 9 Voltage, real pumping the recoil :) When I get next gun ill try find a connector to go directly into gun.

Do you know what the max voltage power these guns takes? My adapter goes right upto 12 Voltage.

kaze0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 01:05:08 pm
« Reply #1543 on: April 07, 2006, 06:56:33 am »
Hey guys

I just got 2 topguns on Monday.

Tried them both on my xbox, perfect.
Popped one of my pc and couldn't get ems drivers to recognize the gun or even load the river manually. So I tried smogdragons guncon2mouse. Perfect in mame and windows.

Plugged the second one in. Got it to calibrate and both guns worked in windows, kickback, lasers, tracking, but that screwed mame up, the lightguns were stuck in the corner. So I unplugged and just left the second one in. Same problem so I rebooted. This is where I start to forget what happened. But upon reboot the mouse cursor was stuck in the lower left corner of the screen, my mouse was unable to move the cursor away, and the second gun wasn't showing the laser or moving the cursor. If I unplugged the gun I could use the mouse fine. I tried reinstalling the drivers, uninstalling, but no dice. The same issue persisted, although the first gun would work whenever it was plugged in.

It seems like a few people had similar problems with the mouse being stuck in the corner or the various things not working. I tried with a fresh install of windows xp as well and the same issue persist with the second gun, stuck in corner, no light, no kickback.

I tried plugging the guns in to my PS2 even though I dont have any gun games, both guns show the laser light non stop and dont have kick back. I've tried switching ports to no avail, tried powering externally, no luck. The second gun just doesnt want to work. On the fresh XP install I made to sure to use the second gun alone and that didnt help either.

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 07:42:59 am by kaze0 »

aljupy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1544 on: April 07, 2006, 07:07:28 am »
Well I connected it to 2nd port for more power and it worked, but I didnt have an adapter to fit directly into bottom of gun so I did using the cord connected to USB.

Man I got great power in that recoil  ;D It was working great with 7.5 or 9 Voltage, real pumping the recoil :) When I get next gun ill try find a connector to go directly into gun.

Do you know what the max voltage power these guns takes? My adapter goes right upto 12 Voltage.
Edit your menssage or just do not tell that to PLAYASIA  ;D I would say that you fried the gun.......according to manufacturar you just can connect 5 VOLT .
By the way...I would say that you enjoyed the Last Kicks of your REcoil ;D ;D 9 Volt should give some good "KickBack"  :applaud:

Good Luck to exchange it  :cheers:

lvlarc_uk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1545 on: April 07, 2006, 07:40:58 am »
hehehe It's under warranty so hopefully everything will go down smooth :D

ssshhhhh ;)

812MANY

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2006, 08:54:25 pm
« Reply #1546 on: April 09, 2006, 09:57:31 am »
I got my LCD Topgun working.  I had alot of issues initially but using a powered hub really helped.  I just used an old noname usb 1.1 powered hub.  I started with the wingun drivers and they worked ok but I noticed that no matter how accurately it was calibrated the aim was always a tiny bit off to the top left.  Then I used Smogs driver (thanks Smog!) At first the cursor was stuck to the bottom left of the screen.  I think this happened to others.  So with the cursor still stuck, I then  calibrated the gun using its own calibration method and instantly I am able to track the cursor.  Then I started up the Guncon control panel and calibrated the gun through that and set up my buttons and flashes.  I got my recoil working too.  Here is my setup:

AMD Sempron64 2800+
WindowsXP SP1
MAME 104 (commandline)
GameEx Frontend (Awesome Front End)
IPAC4
Noname powered USB 1.1 hub

Off-screen shoot reloading works great.  Most of the shooter games work with the exception of a very few.  And it shoots pretty accurate. Don't forget to setup each game to use your trigger for Player1 button1.  Now I think I will order that second gun and hopes it still works.  Will need to update to mame .105 for that dual mouse support I guess
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 10:00:41 am by 812MANY »

aljupy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1547 on: April 09, 2006, 01:22:00 pm »
And it shoots pretty accurate.
When you get used to this pet and after some time of playing you

roylazarovich

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2006, 06:54:04 pm
  • Proud ownder of an LCD TopGun
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #1548 on: April 10, 2006, 05:17:43 am »
Received my replacement unit today and tested it to make sure it is working.
It seems to be working fine, I'll play with it later tonight to make sure, hopefully my bad experience won't reoccur.

MacroX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1549 on: April 11, 2006, 09:26:55 pm »
Received my replacement unit today and tested it to make sure it is working.
It seems to be working fine, I'll play with it later tonight to make sure, hopefully my bad experience won't reoccur.

what problems you are ?.?

roylazarovich

• Offline Offline
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #1550 on: April 12, 2006, 05:09:19 am »
If you remember a few pages back, my gun has been fried during an electrical failure and would no longer work, it would be recognized by Windows but would not go intor calibration mode, would not track, and would not register button presses.

lvlarc_uk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1551 on: April 12, 2006, 02:19:07 pm »
Same thing happened to me, did Play Asia charge you on postage to return gun ? If so what they charge as Im sending mine back this week too after conversing emails with them for almost 2 weeks.

roylazarovich

• Offline Offline
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #1552 on: April 12, 2006, 07:15:41 pm »
lvlarc_uk: No, they do not charge for the return postage, you only have to pay postage to ship the gun to them. I too had a long conversation with them until they agreed to take the gun back, they kept pointing me to calibration information and driver installation, but once they did agree to take it back, the process was smooth.

BioFreak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2007, 11:01:40 am
  • Is it hot in here or is it just me?
« Reply #1553 on: April 14, 2006, 09:50:21 am »
I saw that someone was having this issue but didn't not find a fix or response so I'll ask again and continue to extend this thread further and further out.

I finally had my gun up and running last night, I'm having a multitude of issues but for now I'll focus on this one.

Gun is functional in game, I exit a game and move the gun off screen, go over to my computer and attempt to use the mouse to move around, the mouse is locked to a position close to the last point the gun was pointing at before I moved it off screen. it moves around a small area but you can not move it all around the screen.

The only way I found to release the mouse from it's prison
was to unplug the gun and the LED stands,
or use the gun to move the mouse around ( both inconvenient solutions ).

Running Smog's drivers on XP machine, Mame32, 99u4(I know, I know, I know I should update).

Thanks for the help.
That's it, the bar is closed!
You don't have to go home,
but you can't stay here!

Taborious

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2011, 04:55:45 pm
  • Win or go Home!
    • The Way Back Machine
« Reply #1554 on: April 14, 2006, 01:35:22 pm »
I started reading this post when it was first made because I planned on getting a gun at some point; but stopped after about 2 pages. The time has not come yet but when it does I can only imagine what it is going to be like to swim through 39 pages of this post to try and figure things out and get it working. I was wondering if this knowledge could be keep in the greatest thing since sliced bread the wiki.arcadecontrols.com site. There is already a section for Light Guns so this gun only needs to be added and then support links to connecting & troubleshooting.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Light_Guns

To get an idea of what it might look like here is a link to the mamewah wiki, as it's a similiar concept page wise...

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Mamewah

I think this would eliminate a lot of repeat questions by people not wanting to swim through all of the back posts, just a thought...
The Way Back Machine - http://www.taborious.com

BioFreak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2007, 11:01:40 am
  • Is it hot in here or is it just me?
« Reply #1555 on: April 14, 2006, 01:56:52 pm »
What a fantastic idea!!!  :notworthy:

I was thinking it would be great if we could have something that took these FAQs

http://www.silverfoxy.f2s.com/Topgun.html
http://wizardsworks.org/chod/gun/topgun.htm

and all the issues we've come up with here
to the next level but didn't know what that would be.
I like the Wiki idea, hope someone has the time to run with it...
That's it, the bar is closed!
You don't have to go home,
but you can't stay here!

Taborious

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2011, 04:55:45 pm
  • Win or go Home!
    • The Way Back Machine
« Reply #1556 on: April 14, 2006, 04:47:16 pm »
I don't mind helping setup the links and what not but I don't have the knowledge for the installation and FAQ's someone else will have to fill that stuff in or if the text at the links above can be copied and pasted that is fine as well. I will look at setting up the links tonight when I get home...
The Way Back Machine - http://www.taborious.com

MacroX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1557 on: April 17, 2006, 09:41:47 pm »
news

TopGun Blaze Stand 

(#80607).....USD 6.99

TopGun Accessory - Ultra Bright LED stand for Huge  screen of 60 inch or above.

Coming Soon at the end of April !!

evh347

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2022, 04:58:20 pm
« Reply #1558 on: April 18, 2006, 02:32:18 am »
Anyone having any trouble getting the guns to register input in Mame versions .105 and above?

I'm going into my configurations for the lightgun games and configuring the trigger to "Mouse 1 button" and so forth...but the gun won't register a shot in Mame when I pull the trigger.

The gun still works well with HOTD2, but does not work well with Mame v.105.

The "Enable Lightgun" option is checked.  What could I be doing wrong?

Cananas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2017, 07:39:03 am
  • and the seventh day... PacMan was created
« Reply #1559 on: April 18, 2006, 03:58:34 am »
It seems that you are using the lastest EMS drivers. The EMS drivers doesn't work at all since mame 104u5 (mouse raw mode included).  :angry:

If you want to play Hotd2 and Mame lightgun games, you must use the Smog guncon2 drivers: http://xoomer.virgilio.it/smogdragon/

Smog's driver is the only one (for now) that works with latest version of mame.

Be aware! with the new raw mode, the lightgun could not be the mouse 1... ;)