Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)  (Read 407942 times)

mark6437

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2020, 03:20:11 pm
  • THB2
Re: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)
« Reply #480 on: January 31, 2006, 09:58:41 pm »
Update:

The gun now fires. I installed the drivers, Wingun. I can *kinda* calibrate in Wingun. I get all the way to shooting the 6 targets. I shoot the first one and it dumps me back to windows. Never get past the first target.

The mouse in windows does not track with the gun, it jumps around, alot. Is the mouse pointer supposed to be smooth as you pan the gun around?

I tried HOTD3 and it will fire but will ONLY fire in the top left corner.

I am so tired of messing with lightguns. I never should have bought these I don't think.

Mark

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #481 on: January 31, 2006, 10:11:49 pm »
Mark,

It sounds like your guns are NOT calibrated correctly.  During the target shooting portion of Winguns calibration, an off screen shot will cancel the calibration.  The fact that the calibration exits on the first shot tells me that your guns are not calibrated.

You HAVE to do the gun's built in calibration before you do the calibration in WinGun.

1.  Install Wingun.
2.  Start Wingun.
3.  Plugin gun and LED stands.
4.  Point gun away from screen, the laser should go out.
5.  Hold  A & B buttons until the laser turns on, it should now stay on no matter where you point the gun.
6.  Aim at the top left LED and pull the trigger. The laser should blink off then on again.
7. Aim at the center of your screen.  The laser should blink off/on again.
8. Aim at the Top Left corner of your screen.  The laser should blink off/on again.
9. Aim at the Top Right of your screen.  The laser should blink off/on again.
10. Aim at the Bottom Right of your screen.  The laser should blink off/on again.
11. Aim at the Bottom Left of your screen.  The laser should blink off/on again.
12.  The calibration should be complete.  If you point the gun away from the screen the laser should turn off.  If at any point the laser did not blink, then the gun could not see the leds properly.  If the calibration is not complete , you need to go back to step 5.

Once you get to step 12 successfully, you can go onto the Wingun Calibration.

Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #482 on: January 31, 2006, 10:15:08 pm »
I think I opened my gob too soon...seem to be having problems with the gun on my cab now:

Basically I have now tried Acorns, Smogs and the EMS drivers...here's the probs...

Acorn: Had a bit of trouble calibrating, but managed to get the Windows cursor moving.  However in MAME the crosshair will not move from the edges...it flicks between all 4 edges of the screen but no-where in between.  Also the gun is not always recognised...in fact I can't get it to be recognised at all any more.

Smog: Similar to above, with the same problem in MAME.  The cursor seems to move quickest out of the 3 drivers.

EMS: Seems to work pretty well (with the Gun2Mouse v1.0 software)...but doesn't work at all in MAME.

I've verified mouse works OK in MAME throughout...seems like it must be a MAME config issue but it doesn't make much sense as the mouse works.  My cab is using an ArcadeVGA with arcade monitor, which I don't think should really affect anything.  I'm running everything at 640x480 just in case low resolutions cause any probs.

I'll see if I can get it to work on my desktop PC and try to track down the problem...

Edit: FWIW I'm running WinXP SP1 & MAME v0.99

I had similar, jumpy pointer issues.

Make sure Lightgun is set to 1.  If it is set to zero, MAME reads the mouse in relative mode which will mess up the pointer.

I think you know this part, but make sure that the resultion is not changing.  I needed to have switchres set ot 1.
O2em Rom Utility

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #483 on: January 31, 2006, 10:16:44 pm »
Can someone explain me why EMS is not selling a set of two guns and ONE pair of infrared stands ?

That's a good question.  :)  On that note, I have an pair of brand new LED stands if someone wants them. 

I'm going to use the second set with my Playstaion2
O2em Rom Utility

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #484 on: January 31, 2006, 10:19:38 pm »
From the FAQ:
Q4) How to prevent the LCD TopGun from being interrupted ?

A) To solve this problem, please make sure that no infrared source is behind or beside the

screen. Possible infrared source include sun light, strong red light, yellow light, or any very

heat source. Also, the ground may reflect the light (infrared) from the LED stand. To

prevent reflection, please place a cloth on the ground near the screen so as to prevent the

reflection.

So I have to put a towel on my control panel while I play? Or a big sheet in front of my cab? And while I am at it I can't play while its daylight?
My god......................................

Mark

Did you read the FAQ on the EMS site ?
http://www.hkems.com/qa_LCDTopGun.htm

Notice the remarks about infrared light sources or reflections on the floor.

Can someone explain me why EMS is not selling a set of two guns and ONE pair of infrared stands ?

Let's not get carried away.

I did encounter a little flakiness during the hardware calibration due to a reflection from a ceiling light in my basement.  The relection was annoying anyway so I turned off that light,  The guns work with every other light on in my basement.

O2em Rom Utility

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #485 on: January 31, 2006, 10:20:56 pm »
Smog, does your driver work in Win2000?

I couldn't get it to work.  I kept getting a popup about  it being unable to register.
O2em Rom Utility

John IV [MameUI64]

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2023, 02:12:58 am
    • MameUI
« Reply #486 on: January 31, 2006, 10:34:57 pm »
F1 disables cursors in Mame.

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2006, 12:15:04 am
  • My cab is done... Pics coming soon!!
« Reply #487 on: January 31, 2006, 11:26:08 pm »
Update:

The gun now fires. I installed the drivers, Wingun. I can *kinda* calibrate in Wingun. I get all the way to shooting the 6 targets. I shoot the first one and it dumps me back to windows. Never get past the first target.

The mouse in windows does not track with the gun, it jumps around, alot. Is the mouse pointer supposed to be smooth as you pan the gun around?

I tried HOTD3 and it will fire but will ONLY fire in the top left corner.

I am so tired of messing with lightguns. I never should have bought these I don't think.

Mark

Mark I have all these issues.  the jittery cursor in Windows I think is normal.  Not  sure but mine has always been jittery.  It works in the games, so I shrugged it off since I only care about shooting bad guys, not icons.

Sometimes I never get through 6 targets either.  not sure what the deal is, but sometimes I make it through all of them, sometimes it just returns me to windows.  In either case the gun worked in the games though.  So again I ignored it.

My mouse cursor in windows though does track.  It is just jittery so i can never shoot any icons becasue the pointer won't stand still long enough.

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 03:08:43 pm
  • I <3 arcade games.
« Reply #488 on: January 31, 2006, 11:34:20 pm »

Its probably this post:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=36359.0

involved with the centering of the target for use with joysticks/gamepads. He mentions gollyghost and le2 specifically, and as these 2 track well but are off-centre, it sounds plausable that the same thing happens. It appears that mame is taking the co-ords from the gun, and offseting them by a set amount. I don't have a recent compile environment setup at the moment, but I'll take a look when I get a chance.

wow.. somebody actually remembered that.. glad to know I didn't waste my time :)  From what I recall though, that code only involved the relationship between the joystick position and the Mame 'cursor'.  It didnt have anything to with the mouse coordinates.. although there may be something similar going on with the mouse.  ???  Oh and BTW.. there seems to be a bit of confusion about Operation Wolf being analog or optical..  It is in fact, optical(lightgun) and not T2 style even though it was mounted to the CP the same way.  I found this out the hard way when I ordered one off of ebay.. so its in my closet collecting dust ;D  Operation Thunderbolt was analog though.  You can tell because the screen doesn't flash and it tracks in real time. 

Oh and about Jurrassic Park..  It had positional analog that were just all together funk! :P  I can't test it now (main desktop crashed :'( ) but from what I remember it acted as though the screen was divided in half vertically and when the gun was center the cursor was centered in THAT players half of the screen not the absolute center.  This meant that one half of the guns horizontal movement was mapped to 1/4 of the screen and the other half of the guns horizontal movement was mapped to the other 3/4 of the screen.. The vertical movement was unchanged from what I recall.   In other words... It's F*#$ed up!   :P

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:42:41 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #489 on: January 31, 2006, 11:49:29 pm »
author=darthbane2k link=topic=48982.msg480351#msg480351 Where did you buy this game? i'd kill for a copy, same story with the sega pc titles, cant find it anywhere...  :(

Who Shot Johnny Rock
Mad Dog Mcree
Mad Dog Mcree 2
Space Pirates
Crime Patrol
Crime Patrol Drug Wars
The Last Bounty Hunter

Are all available from Digital Leisure..... But they're over priced from there!! $29.99USD each plus shipping.

The cheapest supplier is Hoots Loot.... www.hoots-loot.com $2.99USD each

Just make sure that you buy the CD-Rom versions, becuase they're Lightgun Compatible.... The DVD versions that get listed as playable on the X-Box Pplaystation and DVD Players are not!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)   

Don't forget:

Shootout at Old Tuscan
FastDraw Showdown

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2006, 12:15:04 am
  • My cab is done... Pics coming soon!!
« Reply #490 on: February 01, 2006, 12:43:43 am »
Success.   ;D 

• I remounted my LED stands permanently this time.
  • I exited the guncon driver
  • I plugged in gun1 and ran the built in clibration.
  • I launched guncon and went through the calibration
  • Fired up a little operation wolf.  Played great.  Accuracy was great.
  • Police trainer worked fine as well
  • Exited back to windows
  • Exited the guncon driver
  • Plugged in gun #2
  • Ran the built in calibration
  • Edited default.cfg so gun#2 was lighygun 1 x/y
  • Ran Police Trainer and set trigger for p1 to mouse 0 and trigger for p2 to mouse1
  • Made those same adjustments in the guncon driver

And Police trainer works fine with two player.

Did you guys notice though that Player 1 does real time tracking??  Weird.  When you play with just one player the one screen target only shows up when you fire.  But when I played two player, the p1 target tracked real time.  The p2 target continued to just show up when the trigger was pulled however.

Is that normal?

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #491 on: February 01, 2006, 02:59:13 am »
Did you guys notice though that Player 1 does real time tracking??  Weird.  When you play with just one player the one screen target only shows up when you fire.  But when I played two player, the p1 target tracked real time.  The p2 target continued to just show up when the trigger was pulled however.

Is that normal?

I'm pretty sure that that behavior has been mentioned earlier in this thread.
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #492 on: February 01, 2006, 03:45:45 am »
Ok guys, I know this is normaly considered bad netiquette, but I MUST post EMS's reply on my question about a two gun package:

Dear Andre,

Thank you for your email.

Q : Why doesn't EMS offer a set including an extra gun only, instead of
having to buy two complete sets and not using one set of stands ?

A : Just like light bubs, the LEDs have limited life. Although the light gun
itself is very rugged, the LEDs would become dimmer and dimmer and it would
die at someday sooner or later within several years. That's why there are 3
LEDs in each set of LED, on the LED stand, such that even some of the LEDs
become dimmer and dimmer, the LED stand would still be workable. In fact,
the cost of the LED stand is only a very minor part of the total cost,
compare to the shipping cost of the replacement of a set of LED stand.
Therefore we are not going to offer a package include a extra gun, we
recommend users to keep the extra set of LED stand as spare.

Thank you for your nice idea anyway. If you have any suggestions, please
kindly inform us. We need your ideas to improve our products. Thanks.

Regards,
EMS Henry

First: Compliments to EMS for lightning fast answering my question, that is a rare thing these days.

However, being an electronics engineer I just had to laugh about the part about the LED's becoming dimmer over the years. As we all know, one of the BIG advantages of LED's over lamps is that they last for tens and tens of years, maybe longer ! OR they use VERY low quality LEDs ??

I think the second part of the answer is a lot more reasonable and probably the real reason.

Anyway, they still thanked me for the nice idea ;)

O, and this did not turn me off on actualy buring a pair....just waiting a bit more, I'm not in a rush, need to get my cab running first ;) and I hope Lik Sang Europe will carry them soon, following all your mad rush orders ;);)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #493 on: February 01, 2006, 03:50:14 am »
Thinking about it.....if you ordered only one gun.....you'll be in trouble in "several years"....... :D

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2009, 04:54:06 am
  • Built the cab, just need the time to play!
« Reply #494 on: February 01, 2006, 04:17:36 am »
Still waiting for my gun - I have a feeling it could show up today.

However, the longer this thread goes on, the more confused I get.

I was under the impression that the winggun (Acorns) was the best and most flawless for one gun only. I will only have the one gun, and will be using in PC Games (HOTD ,virtua cop etc), MAME (Jurassic Park, Operation wolf, T2 etc) and FCEUltra (Duckhunt, wild gunman etc)
Can you guys clearly confrim that this is the BEST driver to use for a single gun, because now some of you are reccomending Guncon, thus leaving me totally confused.
I dont wanna clog my system up with non-working drivers, I would like to 'get it right' from the offset!

Many Thanks

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #495 on: February 01, 2006, 04:34:27 am »

Sometimes I never get through 6 targets either.  not sure what the deal is, but sometimes I make it through all of them, sometimes it just returns me to windows.  In either case the gun worked in the games though.  So again I ignored it.

Hmmm. If (when you are not in calibration mode) you can see the laser pointer is on, then the gun is tracking and will be sending data. If the laser goes off, it can't track for some reason, and will NOT send data, which is the same as being "offscreen". So if you are aiming at those 6 targets and it goes back to windows, then it wasn't sending data when you fired.

Where I sit for testing, I've never not had to hit all six targets. It sounds like maybe there are certain things the LED stuff is sensitive to.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #496 on: February 01, 2006, 04:43:08 am »
wow.. somebody actually remembered that.. glad to know I didn't waste my time :)  From what I recall though, that code only involved the relationship between the joystick position and the Mame 'cursor'.  It didnt have anything to with the mouse coordinates.. although there may be something similar going on with the mouse.  ???

Thats kinda what the problem is. I have great control of the cursor, its just permanently shifted away from where I'm pointing. I'm wondering if the initial offset is the problem. It's very strange though, as using a mouse works fine, and guns work fine as mice in all other situations. Could be a relative/absolute issue....

Oh and BTW.. there seems to be a bit of confusion about Operation Wolf being analog or optical..  It is in fact, optical(lightgun) and not T2 style even though it was mounted to the CP the same way.  I found this out the hard way when I ordered one off of ebay.. so its in my closet collecting dust ;D  Operation Thunderbolt was analog though.  You can tell because the screen doesn't flash and it tracks in real time. 

Wow, did not realise that one. I suppose they get away with no calibration mode as the gun was on a fixed mount. What a strange way to do it...

Oh and about Jurrassic Park..  It had positional analog that were just all together funk! :P  I can't test it now (main desktop crashed :'( ) but from what I remember it acted as though the screen was divided in half vertically and when the gun was center the cursor was centered in THAT players half of the screen not the absolute center.  This meant that one half of the guns horizontal movement was mapped to 1/4 of the screen and the other half of the guns horizontal movement was mapped to the other 3/4 of the screen.. The vertical movement was unchanged from what I recall.   In other words... It's F*#$ed up!   :P

Aha! That explains it completely... Mad acceleration across the middle and everything. Mame's current use of a mouse is highly inaccurate as technially you should be restricted to a cursor on your side of the screen. In fact, assuming you could play 1 player in the arcade, it must ignore things that hit P2 side of the screen if you can't shoot there. Anyone fancy taking a look at the driver?.....

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #497 on: February 01, 2006, 04:46:20 am »
FWIW, I just got my 2 guns, and will test tonight.  I'm glad I have this thread to review if I have problems! :)

Ah missed your original post... Glad you've jumped on the bandwagon(!). I'd be interested to hear how things go for you once you are up and running, perhaps shed some light on some of the issues (fingers crossed...)

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #498 on: February 01, 2006, 04:52:48 am »

I've had some difficulty getting through the 'target shoot' calibration screen...so I don't bother with it.  Use the previous 'red line' screen to get the cursor to match up with your laser pointer.  Then just skip the target shoot section - this seems to work OK for me so far.

If the cursor literally stops and then jumps as you move the gun I would say it is not tracking properly (the gun isn't seeing the LED's all the time).  I reckon moving further away from the screen is your best bet...this seems to work for me.  Also some trial and error on LED stand placement is required.

Don't give up.  Mine isn't working 100%, but it is very promising.  I played all the way through Operation Wolf last night with the gun and it worked perfectly.  That alone is worth the gun for me :)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #499 on: February 01, 2006, 05:08:29 am »
Minwah, your video looks convincing enough for me, quick and accurate I'd say !

Reminds me I still need to get those Amigo controllers working....man I wish I had some more free time :S

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #500 on: February 01, 2006, 05:13:28 am »
Reminds me I still need to get those Amigo controllers working....man I wish I had some more free time :S

Tell me about it!  I'll be able to have a play around tonight and then I'm going away for the weekend...then on Monday I'm moving house so I won't have much chance to do anything for a while.

BTW I'm coming over to your country on Friday morning (Amsterdam)...can't wait  :)

Smog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2007, 06:50:51 am
    • How to make a cheap GunCon2 work on your PC
« Reply #501 on: February 01, 2006, 05:24:59 am »

I couldn't get it to work.  I kept getting a popup about  it being unable to register.

It should work in the latest version, but I opened up the zip and found I forgot to add the 2K build in the driver. Sorry for that I will be more accurate when the next release come.
GunCon2PC Driver on http://guncon2pc.no-ip.org/

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2024, 05:50:03 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #502 on: February 01, 2006, 06:02:58 am »

Ok, Im totally fusterated  :(

Can someone post a Step by Step  starting 'after you open the box...'

Am i supposed to install  the win98 driver  for  the hardeware?  If not,  when win98se auto-detects it.. what should I tell it?

Or does wingun do that automatically?   Or is wingun just a translation program?

Currently, with the driver they supplied, im getting an error in my device manager saying "  the NTKERN.VXD  device loader(s) for this device, could not load the device driver.    To fix this, click update driver to update the device driver."   

I have no clue If I did this, or if my system is messed up.   Where is it dropping the files, and what files does it drop - so that I may delete them by hand and try again?

Im also using the 'unoffical win 98 patch:  http://exuberant.ms11.net/   .. maybe thats the problem - though, it wouldnt seem like it as everything else works fine.

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #503 on: February 01, 2006, 06:32:27 am »
author=darthbane2k link=topic=48982.msg480351#msg480351 Where did you buy this game? i'd kill for a copy, same story with the sega pc titles, cant find it anywhere...  :(

Who Shot Johnny Rock
Mad Dog Mcree
Mad Dog Mcree 2
Space Pirates
Crime Patrol
Crime Patrol Drug Wars
The Last Bounty Hunter

Are all available from Digital Leisure..... But they're over priced from there!! $29.99USD each plus shipping.

The cheapest supplier is Hoots Loot.... www.hoots-loot.com $2.99USD each

Just make sure that you buy the CD-Rom versions, becuase they're Lightgun Compatible.... The DVD versions that get listed as playable on the X-Box Pplaystation and DVD Players are not!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)   

Don't forget:

Shootout at Old Tuscan
FastDraw Showdown

Thanks for mentioning the other two titles.... I did leave them off the list, I didn't forget them, I left them off because Hoots-Loot haven't got them in at the moment and he was actually only looking to track down Mad Dog Mcree.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 06:34:21 am by Fozzy The Bear »
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #504 on: February 01, 2006, 06:56:56 am »
I'm only getting a blank page at www.hoots-loot.com, is that just me or a common problem ?

You gotta hand it to EMS, they are extremely informative, I just got another e-mail about the "2 guns - 1 set of stands" idea:

Here is a piece of additional information.

We have confirmed with the infrared LED factory that, the infrared LED we
are currently using would be 20% dimmer after being used for 1000 hours.
They told us that it is already the limit of the current technology, such
that no factory could provide a better infrared LED with a longer life.

By the way, the cost of the two infrared LED stands is only around $US1-2 .
It would be better to keep a spare set of LED stands instead of saving
US$1-2. From our experience, the postage for one set of LED stand would be
around US$8.

Regards,
EMS Henry

By all means, this does NOT mean that your set will "die" after 1000 hours of play ! They already installed 3 leds for each position to compensate for the loss of brightnes (see first mail I quoted here),so I'm sure you're good to play for many many years. Interesting to read that the cost of the stands is so low compared to the whole package, but it makes sense the gun is the most expensive part.

It's a pretty good deal anyway of course, so it's not a big issue.

Makes me think: how does this thing work ? There must be a real camera inside the gun, because the LED's seem te be simply powered constantly.

I hope someone is willing to open up one of the guns and make pictures. How is the trigger's microswitch ?

I mentioned the Cha Cha Amigo controllers here as also being an EMS product and I said it had poor workmanship, but this is NOT the case, I mixed them up with the other brand of controllers. The EMS workmanship on the Cha Cha's is excellent actualy !

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #505 on: February 01, 2006, 07:12:37 am »
I'm only getting a blank page at www.hoots-loot.com, is that just me or a common problem ?

I'm not having a problem with that link.... Just tried it again to make sure....

Give it another click...

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #506 on: February 01, 2006, 07:24:15 am »
Still nothing. Think they block IP adresses outside the US. Just my luck  :(

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #507 on: February 01, 2006, 07:33:30 am »
Still nothing. Think they block IP adresses outside the US. Just my luck  :(

No they don't! I'm not in the US I'm in the UK.........
Try: http://www.hoots-loot.com/storefrontprofiles/default.aspx?sfid=102466

See if that works... If not then it's your browser that's blocking it.

Alterntively.... Do a search on ebay for those titles... make sure you don't restrict your search to UK or Europe! and you'll find Hoots Loot selling them at the same prices on there.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 07:38:43 am by Fozzy The Bear »

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #508 on: February 01, 2006, 08:07:33 am »

You gotta hand it to EMS, they are extremely informative, I just got another e-mail about the "2 guns - 1 set of stands" idea:

Here is a piece of additional information.

We have confirmed with the infrared LED factory that, the infrared LED we
are currently using would be 20% dimmer after being used for 1000 hours.
They told us that it is already the limit of the current technology, such
that no factory could provide a better infrared LED with a longer life.

By the way, the cost of the two infrared LED stands is only around $US1-2 .
It would be better to keep a spare set of LED stands instead of saving
US$1-2. From our experience, the postage for one set of LED stand would be
around US$8.

Regards,
EMS Henry

By all means, this does NOT mean that your set will "die" after 1000 hours of play ! They already installed 3 leds for each position to compensate for the loss of brightnes (see first mail I quoted here),so I'm sure you're good to play for many many years. Interesting to read that the cost of the stands is so low compared to the whole package, but it makes sense the gun is the most expensive part.

It's a pretty good deal anyway of course, so it's not a big issue.

Makes me think: how does this thing work ? There must be a real camera inside the gun, because the LED's seem te be simply powered constantly.

I hope someone is willing to open up one of the guns and make pictures. How is the trigger's microswitch ?

I mentioned the Cha Cha Amigo controllers here as also being an EMS product and I said it had poor workmanship, but this is NOT the case, I mixed them up with the other brand of controllers. The EMS workmanship on the Cha Cha's is excellent actualy !

Yes, there is some sort of camera in the gun.  It is most likely a black and white single CCD type.
O2em Rom Utility

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #509 on: February 01, 2006, 08:31:43 am »

Doesn't work for me either (UK)...

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #510 on: February 01, 2006, 08:42:59 am »

It should work in the latest version, but I opened up the zip and found I forgot to add the 2K build in the driver. Sorry for that I will be more accurate when the next release come.

Please hurry!
O2em Rom Utility

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2024, 05:50:03 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #511 on: February 01, 2006, 08:46:34 am »
update...

I tried to install the driver version from the cd, and that seemed to make the error go away..   I can get gun2mouse to work, and the mouse cursor follows the gun well :) 

However,  I cant get wingun to see a gun at all.   

Also,  it was only brief testing,  but i cant seem to get mame to see its buttons.  Maybe i set it up incorrectly.    In gun2mouse, it only list  a,b,c,d,start, select.. but not what to map them too.  confusing...   : (

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #512 on: February 01, 2006, 08:59:34 am »

Doesn't work for me either (UK)...

Errmmm Don't know what to say guys... I've just tried both those links in Internet Explorer 6 and in Firefox and they work fine for me in both of them. Maybe your firewall is blocking them or maybe it's a cookie issue... Don't know! 

But like I said, go search on ebay for those game titles and as long as you search worldwide, you should find them at those prices being sold by Hoots Loot... They mainly sell through "buy it now" on ebay anyway. They have some ridiculously high numbers of feedbacks on there and currently have over 2000 items listed. So you should find them. Their user name on there is hoots-loot if that helps.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #513 on: February 01, 2006, 09:00:07 am »
update...

I tried to install the driver version from the cd, and that seemed to make the error go away..   I can get gun2mouse to work, and the mouse cursor follows the gun well :) 

Also,  it was only brief testing,  but i cant seem to get mame to see its buttons.  Maybe i set it up incorrectly.    In gun2mouse, it only list  a,b,c,d,start, select.. but not what to map them too.  confusing...   : (

In the EMS Gun2Mouse software, you need to use a mouse and click on the button you wish to map.  A little popup will ask you to press a mouse button or keyboard key.  Then you should see the appropriate key in the text box.  As far as I can tell, you cannot map to the Escape key.  It exits the mapping mode.
O2em Rom Utility

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #514 on: February 01, 2006, 09:03:23 am »
update...

Glad you are making progress.....

I've thrown together a little page on my website that (hopefully) details some step by step setup tips. Its quite basic at the moment....

http://www.silverfoxy.f2s.com/Topgun.html

Some of the stuff is taken from the thread in good old copy and paste style, so hope no minds there words of wisdom being 'lifted'.  Also please suggest any additions/refinements. Hopefully we can get most of the Q+A sorted in one place...

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #515 on: February 01, 2006, 09:13:25 am »
update...

I've thrown together a little page on my website that (hopefully) details some step by step setup tips. Its quite basic at the moment....

Some of the stuff is taken from the thread in good old copy and paste style, so hope no minds there words of wisdom being 'lifted'.  Also please suggest any additions/refinements. Hopefully we can get most of the Q+A sorted in one place...

nice , but how about specifying what is the best driver for a single gun setup, a dual gun setup, if you use mame, pc games etc..

For example, all I want is a single gun set up to run mame games, PC versions of HOTD - being able to 'shoot outside the screen' to reload, and to play wild gunman and duckhunt in fce ultra. I am totally confused and do NOT know which driver to go for.
I thought wingun was the best, however I have heard it does not work if you launch your games via mame32, which I unfortunately do with mamewah.

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #516 on: February 01, 2006, 09:16:54 am »
Silver,

The page looks good.

I'll put a link to it on my page.

I got an email from Henry today.  Chinese new year must be over.  He seems excited to learn that it is possible to get two guns working on a PC.
He says they may have something for me to test soon.

Has anyone tried to get the CPNMouse driver to work with these guns?
O2em Rom Utility

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #517 on: February 01, 2006, 09:22:25 am »
update...

nice , but how about specifying what is the best driver for a single gun setup, a dual gun setup, if you use mame, pc games etc..

For example, all I want is a single gun set up to run mame games, PC versions of HOTD - being able to 'shoot outside the screen' to reload, and to play wild gunman and duckhunt in fce ultra. I am totally confused and do NOT know which driver to go for.
I thought wingun was the best, however I have heard it does not work if you launch your games via mame32, which I unfortunately do with mamewah.

Darth,

For one gun only, any of the drivers will work.

So far Acorn's Wingun seems to be the easiest to get working and has plenty of features for mapping buttons and such.

Smog's Guncon2 is supposed to work well, but it has issues with Win2000 right now.

If  the newer Gun2Mouse from EMS works on your PC, then you can use that.  The older version works on most PC's as far as I know, but it only supports mapping to mouse buttons.  On my system the EMS driver did seem to have less jitter than Wingun.
O2em Rom Utility

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #518 on: February 01, 2006, 09:25:48 am »
Hoots loot page works for me (UK) but takes time to come up....

Henry - I'm glad he is excited, as i'm sure they sell these as 2 player?

CPN mouse - No. I hacked the inf to include the correct ID's so that XP recognised the gun as a device that should use the CPN mouse driver, but it refused to work (yellow exclamation points in device manager).

Smog might be able to comment here, as his driver presents as a HID-mouse.

@darthbane2k

great feedback, thats the type of stuff I want to add. I don't have fce ultra, nor do I use mame32 - I did not know it did not work with wingun.

I've not included specific recommendations yet, because although Wingun is better for me due to issues with Guncon2PC, this may just be my system. What I want is Wingun's (for me) accuracy combined with Smogs driver - presenting as  HIDmouse so I can play 2player tracking games....

I'll keep adding though..

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #519 on: February 01, 2006, 09:26:59 am »
update...

Darth,

For one gun only, any of the drivers will work.

So far Acorn's Wingun seems to be the easiest to get working and has plenty of features for mapping buttons and such.

Smog's Guncon2 is supposed to work well, but it has issues with Win2000 right now.

If  the newer Gun2Mouse from EMS works on your PC, then you can use that.  The older version works on most PC's as far as I know, but it only supports mapping to mouse buttons.  On my system the EMS driver did seem to have less jitter than Wingun.

what about 'shooting outside of the screen' HOTD/Virtua cop (squad) style? Which drivers can enable this? (I presume its mapped as a button)

Also, is it true winggun does not work when a mame game is launched through mame32?

Its these little rumors that  need to be cleared up.