Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)  (Read 408122 times)

mark6437

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2020, 03:20:11 pm
  • THB2
Re: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2006, 10:34:46 am »
I am pretty new to light guns and do not fully understand how these guns will tell the game (software) they have shot and what to kill. The act labs guns work like a mouse through a composite or s-video connection so I know how those work. But how will these guns tell the computer they have shot?

Also, I hope these guns work better than the act labs guns in 2-player mode. I was pulling my hair out getting them to work and still after a week of trying they are not even close to perfect, especially in MAME.

Thx
Mark

Farmboy90

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2006, 12:15:04 am
  • My cab is done... Pics coming soon!!
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2006, 10:45:50 am »
Woo-hoo!  Mine have reached the LA area. 

Jan 25, 2006     01:58:00     US    ONTARIO     IN TRANSIT TO

I am in Phoenix so I might have them tomorrow!!  Sweet!

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2009, 04:54:06 am
  • Built the cab, just need the time to play!
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2006, 10:50:27 am »
I am pretty new to light guns and do not fully understand how these guns will tell the game (software) they have shot and what to kill. The act labs guns work like a mouse through a composite or s-video connection so I know how those work. But how will these guns tell the computer they have shot?

Also, I hope these guns work better than the act labs guns in 2-player mode. I was pulling my hair out getting them to work and still after a week of trying they are not even close to perfect, especially in MAME.

Thx
Mark

The LED stands communicate to the PC I presume. Once you caliberate the boundries of the screen. When you fire an infra red beam is sent between the stands and thats how it calculates where you have shot...

........I think!

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2006, 11:02:37 am »

Anyone have any suggestions where?...

I hope I'm not coming off like a smart-ass, but shouldn't you be able to install these to the outside walls of your cab?  What I mean is "hang" them off the side.  So they wouldn't cover up your bezel.  Thoughts of hinging coming to mind as well but that may be getting crazy here.
I may not be clear in what I'm trying to say.  If not, let me know
JamIt

Dang! I didnt even think of that!!

Why don't you just put them on the sides of your cab.
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

big daddy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 12:16:13 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2006, 11:03:38 am »
Do you have to recalibrate every time you move?

from the calibration video from the first link, the video says at the beggining:

"it is not necessary to recalibrate the gun unless the postion of the led stands has changed"

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2006, 11:22:15 am »

You might get them even sooner.

At 7:00 am this morning mine were "IN TRANSI TO" Addison, IL.

At 9:05 am mine were dropped off at my house!

Unfortunately I'm at work and I will have to wait until later tonight to check them out.
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2006, 11:26:44 am »

You might get them even sooner.

At 7:00 am this morning mine were "IN TRANSI TO" Addison, IL.

At 9:05 am mine were dropped off at my house!

Unfortunately I'm at work and I will have to wait until later tonight to check them out.

Ahh nuts! HURRY UP AND GET HOME!!!!

Could anyone who has recieved theirs but does not yet have time to test, at least get a picture of the LED stands on the net?

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2006, 11:32:24 am »
The LED stands communicate to the PC I presume. Once you caliberate the boundries of the screen. When you fire an infra red beam is sent between the stands and thats how it calculates where you have shot...

I believe the stands are simply infra red sources - they don't communicate with the PC at all. A camera built in to the gun passes data to the pc. Not sure how much processing is done "in the gun" it could have chip that makes a numereical reading based on the different LED sources, or it literally could be a usb camera for infra red passing the image to the PC. The driver then process this image/data, and calulates the position based on the calibration info. 

There is a Gun2mouse util available on the LCDgun site, so using that you (presumably) can use the gun as a mouse. I imagine this is how mame will see it (although I could be wrong), and certainly several light gun games (non-mame). Other games may need 3rd party patching (I seem to recall a program designed to make act-labs guns work on games like PC HOTD around - intruder?something beginning with I anyway.)

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2017, 01:14:21 pm
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2006, 11:50:17 am »
what abuot real time tracking?  if it's a camera in the gun, couldn't it do real time tracking?  i guess you'll have to add this to the FAQ. 

GET ON IT, PEOPLE ARE WAITING!!!

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2006, 11:52:52 am »
what abuot real time tracking?  if it's a camera in the gun, couldn't it do real time tracking?  i guess you'll have to add this to the FAQ. 

Added.

Dr Gori

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2006, 11:35:24 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2006, 01:05:40 pm »
I have the gun in my hands!!!!

It feels good.  When you fire the top part slides back like a "real" gun.  Very cool.

Now, I can get it to register buttons using the gun2mouse program they provide, but it won't track the mouse.  I've calibrated a few times, with no avail.  I've sent an email to see if Im just an idiot, and am missing something, but I will let you know.

I tried one time using the guncon2 driver, and the mouse did track with it, but as soon as you go off screen, the calibration is lost.  I'm hoping this won't happen with there official driver.

I installed their drivers, installed their software, and like I said, it won't track the mouse.  I made sure to uninstall the guncon2 drivers before retrying theirs.

Im going to go try it on my XBOX and see what happens.

Dr Gori

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2006, 01:40:21 pm »
HOTD 3 on xbox worked great, and is very accurate.  Using it on a 32" lcd screen, and with the laser on, I was shooting right where I pointed.

Now, I just have to figure out what the deal is with my PC connection.  Looks like I have an afternoon of tinkering ahead of me.

The gun is very solid, and it doesn't really vibrate.  It feels more like recoil to me.  The part on top that slides back when you fire is probably why.  So far for Xbox, I give it a 10.

I'm sure people who have done reviews before will do a much more thorough job of explaining all this.

mark6437

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2020, 03:20:11 pm
  • THB2
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2006, 01:45:12 pm »
How does the gun hookup? Do the LCD stands hookup to the PC or does the gun?

How big are the stands?

Mark

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2006, 01:48:44 pm »
Pics?

:)

walls83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2017, 02:58:45 pm
  • beer is good
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2006, 02:00:44 pm »
also what kind of monitor are you using for your Mame cab?

"A true warrior enters the arena with all his powers at the ready." ~ Gouki

Dr Gori

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2006, 02:00:58 pm »
Have'nt unpacked my camera yet, Im still moving in.  Sorry, but Im sure someone will provide pics soon.

You need Two USB connections if you want the "kick."  You plug the gun into the usb, which has the power plug also for hooking up to the stands.  If you want the kick, there is a seperate USB dongle, which interconnects with the gun USB plug, so it gives power to the kick mechanism and stands at the same time.

Works the same way on Xbox, so you use two ports, not just one.

Im really hoping to get the PC part sorted out, because playing on the XBOX was a million times better than my peice of crap Guncon2 RGT gun.

I can tell you when it works for mame, everyone is going to love this gun.  It doesnt feel cheap in your hands, looks "real", and the kick of the gun really adds to the game.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, the laser doesn't just point where it was aimed by the manufacturer.  It has two wheels to fine tune where the pointer displays, so it can be tweaked also, which is what I did on the XBOX as if felt just a bit off at first..

« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 02:07:58 pm by Dr Gori »

Dr Gori

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2006, 02:02:54 pm »
Im working on my mame cab now, so I was just using it on my 17" lcd monitor we use for home use.  IN my cab Ill have a 20 inch VGA monitor to start.

I plan on taking it to my back garage when I verify its working on my home computer, since its the computer Ill lug out there to hook up.

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 05:52:09 pm
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2006, 02:11:08 pm »
Does it come in the nice brushed metal looking finish (like on the box), or the black finish shown on Lik-Sang?

Dr Gori

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2006, 02:21:51 pm »
Its a dull black finish, not a shiny finish like on the box.

walls83

• Offline Offline
  • beer is good
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2006, 02:30:27 pm »
Dr Gori quit posting and get that thing working.    :D

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2006, 02:35:03 pm »
Dr Gori quit posting and get that thing working.    :D

Exactly.   ;D  Aren't there some zombies or somethig somewhere you should be shooting up?

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2006, 02:55:13 pm »
Have'nt unpacked my camera yet, Im still moving in.  Sorry, but Im sure someone will provide pics soon.

You need Two USB connections if you want the "kick."  You plug the gun into the usb, which has the power plug also for hooking up to the stands.  If you want the kick, there is a seperate USB dongle, which interconnects with the gun USB plug, so it gives power to the kick mechanism and stands at the same time.

Works the same way on Xbox, so you use two ports, not just one.

Im really hoping to get the PC part sorted out, because playing on the XBOX was a million times better than my peice of crap Guncon2 RGT gun.

I can tell you when it works for mame, everyone is going to love this gun.  It doesnt feel cheap in your hands, looks "real", and the kick of the gun really adds to the game.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, the laser doesn't just point where it was aimed by the manufacturer.  It has two wheels to fine tune where the pointer displays, so it can be tweaked also, which is what I did on the XBOX as if felt just a bit off at first..

One question...  It's been so long since I played HOD3, I don't recall if it uses offscreen shooting for reloads or not...  If so, did that work as well?

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2006, 03:02:30 pm »
do i need to start a second thread for a group order?  it looks like we'd have quite an order if reviews come back good.  i'd say the order would go out in roughly two weeks, to make up for everyone getting in on it and for all the reviews coming in.  we need a leader who can accept paypal though, so everyone can send money first before the order goes out, so no one get's screwed. 

mid febuary anyone?

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2006, 03:05:59 pm »
do i need to start a second thread for a group order?  it looks like we'd have quite an order if reviews come back good.  i'd say the order would go out in roughly two weeks, to make up for everyone getting in on it and for all the reviews coming in.  we need a leader who can accept paypal though, so everyone can send money first before the order goes out, so no one get's screwed. 

mid febuary anyone?

LOL, if these work it'll be mid-tomorrow for me...  ;)

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2006, 04:17:16 pm »
same here.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. SOMEONE PLEASE TEST WITH MAME, FCE ULTRA AND TAKE A PIC OF THE LED STANDS!

hnugz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2013, 06:18:38 pm
    • Horrorcore Games
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2006, 04:19:50 pm »

mid febuary anyone?

I would definately go in on this if it works in mame.  This gun works for all monitors including arcade?
"Don't play pinball if you only got one arm, cuz your score will suck."

Dr Gori

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2006, 04:23:00 pm »
I have it working with MAME beautifully.

I installed the Guncon2 drivers again.  Noticed the mouse was tracking perfectly.  Recalibrated, and it still worked.  Ran the Gun2mouse program, and the mouse gets stuck in the corner.

So I did it again, didnt run gun2mouse this time.

Ran Area51, noticed my laser wasn't with the crosshairs, so I shut it off.  It probably is because my desktop runs at 1024x768, I have area 51 running at 800x600.

But, it was shooting where I was aiming.  Went I went to reload, shooting offscreen, I expected it to lose calibration.  But, folks....it worked perfectly.  I shot off screen made sure to come back on screen from the opposite side to test, and it still tracked perfectly.

Im sure more testing should be done, but I believe we have a winner here.  Took a little trial and error, but it works.

Hopefully the other guys will read this when setting this up.  I appears anything that worked with Guncon2 guns works fine with these.  My RGT lost calibration when going off screen, and shook all over.  The cross hair is steady, doesnt lose calibration, and the gun feels good in the hands.

Gave it a 10 for xbox, giving it a 10 for mame so far.  Ill play more games (Jurassic Parks next) and post if anything bad is noticed.

Order before there gone!!!!

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2006, 04:30:06 pm »
so...we'd have to recalibrate every time we changed screen resolution, right?  so probably for every game.  is there an easy way to calibrate like a single button on the gun?  like the act lab?

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2006, 04:32:03 pm »
I have it working with MAME beautifully.

I installed the Guncon2 drivers again.  Noticed the mouse was tracking perfectly.  Recalibrated, and it still worked.  Ran the Gun2mouse program, and the mouse gets stuck in the corner.

So I did it again, didnt run gun2mouse this time.

Ran Area51, noticed my laser wasn't with the crosshairs, so I shut it off.  It probably is because my desktop runs at 1024x768, I have area 51 running at 800x600.

But, it was shooting where I was aiming.  Went I went to reload, shooting offscreen, I expected it to lose calibration.  But, folks....it worked perfectly.  I shot off screen made sure to come back on screen from the opposite side to test, and it still tracked perfectly.

Im sure more testing should be done, but I believe we have a winner here.  Took a little trial and error, but it works.

Hopefully the other guys will read this when setting this up.  I appears anything that worked with Guncon2 guns works fine with these.  My RGT lost calibration when going off screen, and shook all over.  The cross hair is steady, doesnt lose calibration, and the gun feels good in the hands.

Gave it a 10 for xbox, giving it a 10 for mame so far.  Ill play more games (Jurassic Parks next) and post if anything bad is noticed.

Order before there gone!!!!

You are the greatest human being on Earth. 

Glad I ordered mine already (should have them TOMORROW)!!!  I noticed one site already is out of stock...  Better hurry.

Now if only you knew if two player worked...  Guess I will have to be that guinea pig.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 04:34:12 pm by Farmboy90 »

Smog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2007, 06:50:51 am
    • How to make a cheap GunCon2 work on your PC
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2006, 04:41:39 pm »
I've just discovered that the software from their site can work even with normal GunCon2 lightguns and this means that even my driver can work with this gun (installing the driver for infrared leds obiouvsly) ... it seems nice enough but very very slow. I cannot test the calibration tough, is there any other that can try this? However this seems to be the only real competitive (price/quality) gun on the market ... let's hope it won't be another flop.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 04:47:31 pm by Smog »
GunCon2PC Driver on http://guncon2pc.no-ip.org/

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2006, 04:45:51 pm »
Ordered mine. These are too nice looking to miss.

walls83

• Offline Offline
  • beer is good
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2006, 04:58:54 pm »

mid febuary anyone?

LOL, if these work it'll be mid-tomorrow for me...  ;)

Yep me too  Ive already told the wife the good news.   That we are expecting.... TWO LIGHTGUNS.  :laugh:

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2006, 05:10:01 pm »
Can someone PLEASE post a pic of the LED stands

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2017, 02:33:49 pm
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2006, 05:10:57 pm »
Where are you guys ordering from that you're getting them so fast. Lik Sang says 2-4 weeks @ $15 shipping.
I've got a fever...

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2006, 05:13:08 pm »
Can someone PLEASE post a pic of the LED stands

Are the pics on the website not enough?  Just curious...

http://www.hkems.com/product/xbox/LCDTopGun.htm

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2006, 05:13:54 pm »
Where are you guys ordering from that you're getting them so fast. Lik Sang says 2-4 weeks @ $15 shipping.

play-asia.com shipped mine the same day (yesterday) and they are already in LA.  So I should have them tomorrow (hopefully).

More Cowbell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2017, 02:33:49 pm
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2006, 05:20:24 pm »

play-asia.com shipped mine the same day (yesterday) and they are already in LA.  So I should have them tomorrow (hopefully).

Thanks - ordered mine.
I've got a fever...

Dr Gori

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2006, 05:23:57 pm »
Ordered one from lik-sang saturday, not here yet.

Ordered one from Play-asia monday, it arrived this morning.  Total was less at play-asia.  

Further testing:

Jurassic park was pretty good.  The cross hair seemed to be just a little to the left of where I was pointing, but it was consistant.  I was able to adapt to play.  Remember, I'm using a temporary set-up, so the stand's might be moving a bit.

Police trainer was dead on.  Again, you can point off the screen, point at the floor so you do not register, come from the other side, and it's still dead on.

To recalibrate, you hold two buttons, than do a series of 6 shots.

I'm looking forward to peoples opinions who setup is more permanent, but even in my crappy temp set-up, I am very happy.

I'm sure some of the veterans of BYOAC will maybe know how to tweak mame, or the setup to even make it better.

Alright, back to playing....I mean testing some more.

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2006, 05:25:31 pm »

mid febuary anyone?

Mine are already on the way, but I would still recommend this.  I know 3-4 other people who would jump on this if you can get the group purchase going.  So please keep me in the loop.

They offer bulk discounts so it would be a good idea.  And since the shipping is so outrageous for international orders, the bulk order might help in that regard as well.

So I say start the group purchase thread.  Once I can confirm two player support I am sure the demand will skyrocket even more.

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2006, 05:27:09 pm »
Ordered one from lik-sang saturday, not here yet.

Ordered one from Play-asia monday, it arrived this morning.  Total was less at play-asia. 

Further testing:

Jurassic park was pretty good.  The cross hair seemed to be just a little to the left of where I was pointing, but it was consistant.  I was able to adapt to play.  Remember, I'm using a temporary set-up, so the stand's might be moving a bit.

Police trainer was dead on.  Again, you can point off the screen, point at the floor so you do not register, come from the other side, and it's still dead on.

To recalibrate, you hold two buttons, than do a series of 6 shots.

I'm looking forward to peoples opinions who setup is more permanent, but even in my crappy temp set-up, I am very happy.

I'm sure some of the veterans of BYOAC will maybe know how to tweak mame, or the setup to even make it better.

Alright, back to playing....I mean testing some more.

So far what did you have to do to default mame to make this work?