Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Programable Multicade boards  (Read 64195 times)

Rod1968

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2007, 10:19:45 pm
Re: New Programable Multicade boards
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2005, 01:05:14 pm »
PC just doent cut it, a chevy and a Lamborghini are both cars but I still rather have the Lamborghini.

Sorry but the Lamborghini would be the ORIGINAL boards. Clay's board is emulation. MAME on a PC is emulation. Either way you're not getting the 100% real thing.

I have to agree with you on this to some extent but again I may be totally offbase here and no offense to mame but hardware emulating hardware is going to be alot more acurate and true than hardware that runs software that again runs more software that then emulates hardware

Rodney

MaximRecoil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2005, 04:02:33 pm »

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2005, 04:07:21 pm »
PC just doent cut it, a chevy and a Lamborghini are both cars but I still rather have the Lamborghini.

Sorry but the Lamborghini would be the ORIGINAL boards. Clay's board is emulation. MAME on a PC is emulation. Either way you're not getting the 100% real thing.

I have to agree with you on this to some extent but again I may be totally offbase here and no offense to mame but hardware emulating hardware is going to be alot more acurate and true than hardware that runs software that again runs more software that then emulates hardware

Rodney

What are you basing that assumption on? Would you bet money on yourself in a blind test? I sure wouldn't bet money on you or myself in a blind test. The end is all that matters in regard to emulation; theories regarding the accuracy of the means = irrelevant.

swdarcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2006, 08:54:54 pm
  • Classic arcade games!
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2005, 04:11:24 pm »
The point I was making is that its a Jamma board, all you do is plug it in and the games play just like the orignals.  No win xp, no boot time, Just fun.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 10:21:06 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2005, 07:53:33 pm »
The point I was making is that its a Jamma board, all you do is plug it in and the games play just like the orignals.
NO MORE!!

clanggedin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2012, 11:08:55 pm
  • O'DOYLE RULES!!!
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2005, 10:55:53 pm »
The biggest downside to Clay's board is the you need an original boardet for his kit to be used, then an additional JAMMA adapter. Arcadeshop's is a small board that is JAMMA.

If you go Clay's route you can get the boardet and his adapters for under $379.

I am restoring a Robotron right now and I'm thinking of getting a Clay kit, so I can have can play Robotron for a bit, then add the other kit later.

Rod1968

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2005, 10:58:16 pm »
What are you basing that assumption on? Would you bet money on yourself in a blind test? I sure wouldn't bet money on you or myself in a blind test. The end is all that matters in regard to emulation; theories regarding the accuracy of the means = irrelevant.
I have not used this board so I can't make a comment on the accuracy of it, but there is no assumption about it, hardware emulating hardware is better then hardware that needs to run two or three pieces of software to emulate hardware. Nobody in their right mind who has the time,money, and resources to produce hardware that can emulate hardware would say we can get better results if we take this PC and load onto a harddrive an existing OS
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 11:18:09 am by Rod1968 »

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2005, 01:32:38 am »
Wow, I'm not slamming anybody for using one of these.  There's nothing wrong with them for what they are.  I just think it's silly, complaining that they don't have as many games as you want, since you knew they didn't have many games when you bought it.

Ease of wiring, compact footprint, best emulation = Multicade PCB

Most playable games = MAME

Decide which you care more about, and be done with it.  But don't complain about your choice after the fact.

dabone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2023, 12:03:37 pm
  • Time to work...
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2005, 12:18:15 pm »
1.-hardware-hardware = NY to LA very efficient
2.-hardware-os-software-software-hardware = NY to KY to NJ to LA not very efficient
In a perfect world my choice would be option #1

Ok to address the above issue.

Mame PC...  Hardware/OS/EMU/Original Programs.
Multicade Bd... Hardware/EmbeddedOS(MenuSystem)/EMU/OriginalPrograms

Both are computers running a os/emu/the roms.
Neither have any of the original chips.
The difference is the way it is presented to the user.

You could and can get  a pc to act the same way. (Look at the 400in1 boards, they are just microatx boards with a custom bios).

So the way to get original (or close to) game play is either use the original boards, or compare the emulators running on the different hardware to each other.

(Btw, clays Multikit is the ONLY way to get truly original gameplay. That's because it's just a multi rom/io kit. No hardware changes to the original hardware blitters/ram wait states/etc.)

Dav

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2016, 05:39:35 am
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2005, 01:07:39 pm »
1.-hardware-hardware = NY to LA very efficient
2.-hardware-os-software-software-hardware = NY to KY to NJ to LA not very efficient
In a perfect world my choice would be option #1

Ok to address the above issue.

Mame PC...  Hardware/OS/EMU/Original Programs.
Multicade Bd... Hardware/EmbeddedOS(MenuSystem)/EMU/OriginalPrograms

Both are computers running a os/emu/the roms.
Neither have any of the original chips.
The difference is the way it is presented to the user.

(Btw, clays Multikit is the ONLY way to get truly original gameplay. That's because it's just a multi rom/io kit. No hardware changes to the original hardware blitters/ram wait states/etc.)

That is correct the only difference is the multicade boards use very slow processors and so can't match the accuracy of Mame on a decent PC. 

Btw they're both Clay's kit.  But you are right, the only way to do it right is get Clay's older multiwilliams kit.

Rod1968

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2005, 01:27:22 pm »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 03:36:24 pm by Rod1968 »

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2005, 05:43:46 pm »
How is DOS a bloated OS?
NO MORE!!

Rod1968

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2005, 06:12:09 pm »
How is DOS a bloated OS?

Can you hide dos? NO
Can you run an arcade vga with dos? not sure enlighten me
How many video cards can you use with a CGA monitor?
How many Frontends can you use with dos & CGA monitor? 2
How safe is it to run said said frontends with a CGA monitor? one little pc hiccup or power failure and your monitor is fried
Dos is not very efficient on modern pc hardware and no where as efficient on old pc hardware running emulation software as an embedded system would be
Again a PC is still just a PC

A multi-board may be emulation but it is still a dedicated Arcade board no matter how you look at it. You plug it in turn the machine on and your playing a game, that's what most people are looking for just take a look at every thread in the software section of people asking how to hide the OS and nobody as fully accomplished this feat yet wether it be as small as a cursor flashing for a short period of time to as much as the frontend losing focus for no reason what so ever

All I did post my opinion on the subject not force it on anyone and it seems like its turned into a pissing match, not what i want it to turn into

I have always wanted my own arcade machine since I was a kid and when I found mame it brought those feelings back "MAME is GREAT" But its still a pc playing games in a cabinet.

Multi-board may be emulation but it is still a gameboard not a pc and when I can afford one it will be in my next vertical cab

No need to rebut I'm dun defending my opinion
Rodney

« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 06:15:03 pm by Rod1968 »

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2005, 06:41:50 pm »
Hi. I don't really have a "side" to this, other than the comments I may have stated. Fact is, if someone offered me a choice between one of these boards and a PC/AVGA of same $ value, I'm not sure which I'd pick, but I thought I'd still answer your questions:

Can you hide dos? NO

DOS is not visible unless you let it reach the prompt, and then it's visible in the form of "C:" with a flashing cursor.
NO MORE!!

Rod1968

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2005, 07:39:09 pm »
DOS is not visible unless you let it reach the prompt, and then it's visible in the form of "C:" with a flashing cursor.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 07:44:02 pm by Rod1968 »

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #135 on: December 20, 2005, 10:41:13 am »

Being able to hide the POST screens is a feature of any given BIOS... you would drop an image file into the system directory of the boot media and either set the location in the BIOS or it is smiply picked up and used.  Not all BIOS can do this but I would imagine that by now most of them can.

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2005, 02:51:39 pm »

Nobody in their right mind who has the time,money, and resources to produce hardware that can emulate hardware would say we can get better results if we take this PC and load onto a harddrive an existing OS  then write some code for it to emulate the hardware . Either way both can do equally as good job as the other depending on the emulation software but the later being less efficient. If your trying to get somewhere a fast and as efficiently as possible why would you want to make stops along the way. ???

Nobody in their right mind would continue to make costlier physical products that can be perfected through means of far cheaper software.  You've laid out the case yourself by putting in the caveat's of "having the time, money, and resources".  I don't know what planet you live on, but if you've got plenty of all of those, why aren't YOU doing it?  Stick to what is being done in the real world. 
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2005, 03:12:11 pm »
Why can't we all just get along?? Some folks dig hardware, Some folks dig MAME. Both have ups and downs, both play games. end of story :-*

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2005, 03:15:02 pm »
Why can't we all just get along?? Some folks dig hardware, Some folks dig MAME. Both have ups and downs, both play games. end of story :-*

....said the guy trying to talk someone out of learning mad kicking skeelz.  I call foo on you

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2005, 03:22:49 pm »
Cross posting at it's finest. ;)

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:00:58 pm
  • Soon I will post that I am a triathalete
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2005, 08:59:01 pm »
I've seen this board and it's awesome.  More original than the original.

Art
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

Rod1968

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: December 20, 2005, 09:43:20 pm »
This thread has turned down a direction only EE threads should be. Perhaps it should be moved.

-Goz
No need to move it. It just needs to get back on track " disscusion of the programable arcade board"

I've been tring to do that but it seems some feel the need to bash others instead of disscusing the topic on hand

Back on subject "the Multi-board"
I would like to puchase one in the near future
The only concern I have is the global credit option
There is no need for it it just makes it easier for someone to put in on loacation and gain unjust profits
I guess thats who the target audience really is not the typical home user that is just trying to relive thier youth. But thats "JUST MY OPINION" lol not tyring to force this on anyone please don't take it the wrong way

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2005, 10:17:02 pm »
I've seen this board and it's awesome.  More original than the original.

Art

Do you know if it accepts a standard VGA card connection, or is it just CGA like a standard Jamma board?

Oh, yes.  It has all 3 of those.  Rodney couldn't be more wrong while being slightly right.

Jack
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2005, 10:28:54 pm »
One more thing.  It's got dual quasi support.  Ain't see nothing like that since Homer Simpsons hot rod.

BoardLover

Rod1968

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2005, 10:33:24 pm »
Hey fellows
Its been FUN but I just got done with a 12.5 hour shift at work and I have a 6.5hr drive ahead of me so I'm gonna have to call it a night and get a couple hours a sleep! Maybe I will wake up and have come to my senses but I would count on it.

Anyhow if any one has anymore info on this board please post
1. Is there any kind of screensaver, does the monitor go to sleep after awhile, play random games or does the menu stay on the screen with starfield in the background?

2. Does it output to vga as well as cga?

3. Or any other information that owners might find relevent to help people like me who are considering purchasing the board

I suppose I could contact the manufacture but this has been so much fun not to mention I would like to here from actual owners rather than just trust the manufacture/distributors claims

Thanks
Rodney

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2005, 10:35:50 pm »
Good night Rodney.  Thanks for being a good sport!

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: December 20, 2005, 10:45:08 pm »
Is that USB compatible or PS2 only?  I've got the PS2 drivers, but I'm not sure where they are.  USB would be much easier.

no, it's firewire, but only if you have a pcmcia card.  what are you, dense?

Art

Rod1968

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: December 20, 2005, 10:46:43 pm »
JackTucky
I'm a punk too and like to jump in and kick peoples ass's while their down
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 10:55:56 pm by Rod1968 »

AC.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2015, 03:55:07 pm
    • MAME console
« Reply #148 on: December 20, 2005, 11:04:01 pm »
39 in 1? Screw that, Ive played enough games to know they ALL get boring.
Lets try, saaayyyy....... 4,000.

Jabba

• D-Hutt
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2020, 02:17:20 pm
  • I find your lack of faith...disturbing...
« Reply #149 on: December 20, 2005, 11:16:34 pm »
4000, but could you get rid of all those Mahjong games first?
Vids:  Home built MAME machine, Crystal Castles. Arkanoid
Pins:   Williams Aztec (working). Stern Nugent (not working...yet), Williams Phoenix (major not working, missing parts.... )

Always on the lookout for buying 90's game with Ramps that need work...

AC.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2015, 03:55:07 pm
    • MAME console
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2005, 11:53:32 pm »
4000, but could you get rid of all those Mahjong games first?

Dude yer freakin crazy! every majhong game has subtle differences than deserve 3-4 days of my life for each one.

ARCADE5280

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2007, 04:01:40 pm
« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2005, 12:52:01 am »
The menu is really nice.

The background is continuously flying through stars.  It cycles through small index card size screen shots as the game titles come flying towards you with the stars.  They pause for a moment and then cycle to the next game.

It really fits the look of the 80's video games.

I shot a quick video with my camera, but have no way to post it.  Any ideas where I could upload it?  anyone have a FTP to put it on?

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2005, 01:15:23 am »

But thats "JUST MY OPINION" lol not tyring to force this on anyone please don't take it the wrong way

For someone so interested in getting back to the topic, you certainly seem to revel in wallowing in the past.

Rodney couldn't be more wrong while being slightly right.

That about sums up the general consensus, I think. 

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2005, 01:42:50 am »
this thread is way too long for me to read can someone sum it up in just a couple of sentences so I can join in on the fun???

thanks........

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2005, 01:49:42 am »
this thread is way too long for me to read can someone sum it up in just a couple of sentences so I can join in on the fun???

thanks........

MAME is better than a multi-board if you want to play more than 39 games.  If not, a multi-board is a fine way to play up to 39 games in an arcade cabinet.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2005, 01:57:44 am »
And you shouldn't force your opinions about Tapper on anyone who has a fish with a bicycle on fire with corduroy pants who's a teacher.

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #156 on: December 21, 2005, 02:08:27 am »

thanks........

MAME is better than a multi-board if you want to play more than 39 games.  If not, a multi-board is a fine way to play up to 39 games in an arcade cabinet.

well I thought that was obvious

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:26:58 am
« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2005, 02:22:54 am »
The menu is really nice.

The background is continuously flying through stars.  It cycles through small index card size screen shots as the game titles come flying towards you with the stars.  They pause for a moment and then cycle to the next game.

It really fits the look of the 80's video games.

I shot a quick video with my camera, but have no way to post it.  Any ideas where I could upload it?  anyone have a FTP to put it on?

I can host it for you.

PM me and will work it out.

-Goz

melidian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2009, 09:24:38 pm
  • Me So Happy...Me Want To Cry.
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2006, 06:54:50 pm »
just thought i would bring this thread back...i love my board and am playing mspacman on it as we speak :police:
i love the fishes cause their so delicious

swdarcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2006, 08:54:54 pm
  • Classic arcade games!
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2006, 03:22:45 pm »
Be on the look out.  New game(s) coming any day........ 8)