Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Overscan" problem with CRT Emudriver and a Sony CRT  (Read 8360 times)

Monkee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 09:37:30 am
"Overscan" problem with CRT Emudriver and a Sony CRT
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:21:37 pm »
Hi all,
I'm having a little problem. I'm using the CRT emudrivers to play groovymame on a old Sony CRT in 15Khz and all my games are cropped on each edges of the screen. But even under Windows, I can see that the edges of the desk (in 640x480) are not in the screen.

When I plug my computer to a LCD then everything fits (even with the same resolution).

It really feels like I'm having a overscan mode in 15khz, does someone knows how to fix that?

Thanks.
Monkee

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 07:24:24 pm
    • SCART Hunter
Re: "Overscan" problem with CRT Emudriver and a Sony CRT
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:52:59 pm »
You simply need to adjust the horizontal size (width) of the picture using your TV.

Depending on the vintage of your TV, you will either have a Service Menu setting for this or an adjustable potentiometer inside the TV.

You can find the service codes (to enter the Service Menu) for most TVs quite easily on the Web.

Failing that, you could try to achieve the same result by changing your GroovyMAME monitor specs but it makes more sense to tweak the TV first.
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Monkee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:55:36 pm »
Thank you paradroid, it's probably a potentiometer for this tv because it's pre 80s.
But i also use this tv to play video game consoles (and I have no problem with the image in this case) so I have to change the tuning every time I will switch between those two systems, no?

Also what about the vertical size?

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 07:24:24 pm
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:58:51 pm »
Ah, okay. In that case, if you're happy with the width and position for your consoles, you'll need to tweak your GroovyMAME monitor spec line.

Search the forum. This kind of thing has been discussed numerous times before...
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Monkee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 05:46:22 am »
Ok I will. Sorry for opening a thread about that if it was discussed before, I didn't thought it was about parameters in the beginning.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2024, 04:59:06 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 04:24:48 pm »
Hi Monkee,

Bear in mind TV's are adjusted in factory for an important degree of overscan. Consoles already take this into account. On the other hand the presets we use in GroovyMAME try to maximize the use of the active video in for arcade monitors. This involves adjusting your monitor/TV for zero overscan. But if you want to keep your current adjustment for consoles, then you need to compensate for the "built-in" overscan by adding bigger borders to video signal. This is done by increasing H front & H back porches in the crt_range line (mame.ini). Notice that vertical overscan can't be fixed by software: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=134915.0
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Monkee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 04:58:25 pm »
Hi Calamity,

Thank you for those clear informations, I'm a bit to afraid to open my Trinitron so I will check out what I can do with mame.ini.  :angel:

arcadepcnut

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2019, 12:03:07 pm
  • Warhammer 40K, you should try it.
    • BREAKTIME
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:26:10 pm »
Hi all,
I'm having a little problem. I'm using the CRT emudrivers to play groovymame on a old Sony CRT in 15Khz and all my games are cropped on each edges of the screen. But even under Windows, I can see that the edges of the desk (in 640x480) are not in the screen.

When I plug my computer to a LCD then everything fits (even with the same resolution).

It really feels like I'm having a overscan mode in 15khz, does someone knows how to fix that?

Thanks.
Monkee

Monkee what was the ulitimate solution to this?
I have tweaked some setting in my sony service menu. I have another post here regarding this issue and no one has responded. my desktop is off. mame is off. frontend is off and all games are off. there is about 2" of black on left side and on right side and top and bottom is cut off and the hsize and hpos wont move the picture anymore to the left in the service menu.
if this can be fixed in mame and all mame games its ok that the frontend and desktop are off. ive been searching for days to resolve this issue and finally found your post.

Monkee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 01:51:49 pm »
Hi arcadepcnut, the tv you got has a service mode wich is completely different from mine. The tweaks on mine have to be done directly on the hardware so for the moment I didn't change anything. Concerning your problem of everything off though, it could also be the drivers or software related, you should wait for Calamity or another expert to help you because I cannot.

Sorry man.