Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Skee Ball V2.0 - kid sized modern skee ball  (Read 43808 times)

nickels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 03:52:25 pm
  • Old nerd.
Re: Skee Ball V2.0 - kid sized modern skee ball
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2013, 10:19:33 am »
Quick update - more photos coming soon. Almost done....
Things that just arrived or are ordered and on their way:

1 Ledwiz to replace the iPac. Tested it. I can easily control 14 individual LED lights and one siren light, and also monitor the scoring switches and control buttons all with one device. The 14 lights are going in pairs under each hole - one red LED and one blue LED. The siren will signal the end of the game. These will be used for custom games that I have yet to code.

10 LEDs of Blue and Red, plus a lot of resistors. Only need 7 of each, and a few extras if any of them break in the future.

1 SPDT relay to control the siren light. This thing is tiny. Time to learn soldering like a pro, and quick.

2mm heat-shrink tubing. All these LEDs, relays, and wires will be soldered poorly, so hopefully this tubing will help keep it all together.

Vinyl numbers!!!! This is what I am most excited about. I can't wait to see the rings with actual numbers on them now. For $7 shipped I ordered 2" numbers in a nice looking font. Thanks ebay!

Finally today I plan on getting 1/2" pvc and building a box near the rings, and covering it with a net. We play with this a lot already, so I know balls can fly off the table. The worst thing to happen to this table is it became playable. All productivity has come to a screeching halt. Time to get re-motivated to finsih up the build part of this project and focus on the programming of more games.

D'oh!

nickels

• Offline Offline
  • Old nerd.
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2013, 04:56:00 pm »
Very minor update. Added the vinyl numbers:

I have my doubts about these numbers sticking. Time will tell.
D'oh!

nickels

• Offline Offline
  • Old nerd.
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2013, 03:19:17 pm »
So close to being finished with Phase 1 of this project.

The saftey net was built from 1/2" PVC, painted black, and attached to the table. I added a net and connected it with Velcro straps. Front buttons connected to power source so they light up now. The LedWiz is all hooked up and I removed the iPac. The game controls the siren as expected.

Front:

Side:

About all that is left is to add cork between the monitor and scoring area for noise reduction, sand it smooth, and paint it all glossy black. Adding more games with controlled LED lights under the holes is phase 2. Once this is built I can concentrate on coding more games. I have all the LED lights, just need to wire them in.

As promised here is the final build for the software:
http://www.johnkalnin.com/skee/SkeeBallController-V1_7_siren.exe
If you want to play with it but not download the EXE here it is as a SWF
http://www.johnkalnin.com/skee/SkeeBallController-V1_7_siren.swf

The controls are listed earlier in the thread. I made the file into an EXE so that I could put it in the start-up folder of the PC. The cursor is hidden when you open the file so don't wonder where it went.
D'oh!

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2013, 10:57:08 am »
Looking fabulous!  Thanks for sharing the program too!  Time to paint/laminate!

nickels

• Offline Offline
  • Old nerd.
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2013, 10:46:52 am »
Nothing like being up till 2am on a Sunday night painting. I started at 10pm, and once I got going there was no stopping.

One last build photo coming tonight when I put the net back up and get the skee ball machine back in place, set up and working again.
The beer is in the fridge - almost ready to celebrate the end of the building process...

...and the start of me writing countless flash games for it. It never ends.
D'oh!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2024, 02:16:34 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2013, 11:20:07 am »
I'm really looking forward to seeing this complete, it's looking great!  I'm also really looking forward for game uploads as I totally want to do something like this at some point. 

nickels

• Offline Offline
  • Old nerd.
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2013, 10:52:23 am »
*FINISHED THE BUILD!

My kid giving the first play demo, and sticking up for my lack of skillz:

Well that was a fun 6 months or so. Time to program all of the games that I've been putting off till the last minute. The last minute is here. Back to work!

*still need to touch up the paint. This table also needs a theme so I can add some artwork on the sides. Any suggestions?
D'oh!

chalfin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2021, 09:19:00 pm
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2013, 09:37:21 am »
I built my skeeball last year using lots of info gathered here.  I just came across your build and it looks great.  I have been waiting for a great scoring option and your software looks awesome.  What kind of computer are you running this on, do you think it would run on a raspberry pi.  I want something small and out of the way.  Thanks for the hard work!

nickels

• Offline Offline
  • Old nerd.
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2014, 03:20:47 pm »
Small update, working hard on some games for this custom table. I will be adding LED lights soon, and the first three games are currently in coding stage. These games are all very different and focus on different types of gameplay, such as the ability to hit precise ring numbers in order.  My first game is almost done, just need a few more in-game graphics and some sound effects, but the game code is done and working:

This is a game for 1-4 players. This began as a simple titled "Super Skee" game that featured basic gameplay but with much higher scoring possibilities. That was boring, so I added a Star Wars theme to it. There are three rounds, and with each round there is a "force" multiplier that increases from x100, to x250, up to x500. After the third ball in the third round there is a special "Yoda ball" worth 1000x the ring score (50 is worth 5000, and so on). Each player gets a 15 second time limit per throw. Programming this was very difficult and took me forever. Can't wait to play it! I have future plans for a local scoreboard where the winner enters their initials and the score is saved.

One player game that has a set number of levels. This game is based on precision under stress. You will have various amounts of time per level to diffuse the bomb. This is done by hitting numbers in a set order. For example on the lower levels you have to hit 40 then 30... on the  higher levels you must hit 20, then 100, then 50 all in a row. If you mess up you have to start over (20, 100, 50). When 5 seconds remain the red light on top of the machine will flash and a warning siren will go off. I may even add a vibration element to table to make this part even harder to concentrate as time runs out.... buzz buzz buzz. The game ends when the bomb explodes or if the players get through all the levels successfully.

The game that stars YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY! I am the bad guy on the cover, but you can change that to be anyone you want. This is still being developed in my brain as we speak, so the rules/gameplay may change. There will be characters like the gunman, bartender, sheriff, etc. I am thinking about making this an endless shooter, where you have a set amount of lives and the game continues until you die - increasing in difficulty with each level. Three or four characters will appear on the screen at a time, each with ring numbers under them. You will have three "shots" to get the gunman. If you hit a number with an innocent person on the card you lose points. If you hit a number that isn't shown it is just considered a missed shot. If you don't get the gunman in three tries you lose a life. Once you kill the gunman you go to the next level. The character photos are external files so you can replace them with your own friends and family faces to make the game unique for everyone.

Finally there is also a main game select screen. I have it working but hate the current "space" design so there is no screen to show. It is coded, just needs a new design/theme.
D'oh!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:29:02 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2014, 01:18:32 am »
I really like the idea of making the various games/scoring modes skinnable so people can easily change themes to suit their build.   ;D

Scott

nickels

• Offline Offline
  • Old nerd.
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2014, 03:57:04 pm »

UPDATE:
2 LED lights added per hole (red and blue), buzzer added (vibrating device inside Xbox 360 controller), and more games are in progress. I took a bunch of photos of the entire process but I somehow managed to lose them all. Just my luck, now I have to recreate the whole process which was a pain the first time doing it for real. The games are all very detailed so they are taking a while, plus I have no time lately. One day this will all come together. Eventually...
D'oh!

liquid134

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2018, 07:58:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2014, 03:36:44 pm »
what have you been using to code/create these games??? this build is awesome!

AzureKnight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2022, 12:22:17 am
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2014, 04:26:53 pm »

I'm curious too, I'll be honest I never dove into the world of skeeball outside of playing a few games here and there in an arcade.  I never knew people made various "games" for them.  I'm probably just ignorant of a subculture, but it sounds like it would keep skeeball a lot more fresh.

nickels

• Offline Offline
  • Old nerd.
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2014, 12:41:17 pm »
what have you been using to code/create these games??? this build is awesome!

I use Flash CS6 to code all of my games. I posted the link earlier where you can play these games on your PC using keyboard commands. Not much to it, just a lot of coding and time working out all of the logic. I also use other programs such as Illustrator and Photoshop for the graphics. The hardest part for me is finding time to make more games. I have so many ideas, and so little time!

Thanks for the compliment!

Skee Wars link:
http://johnkalnin.com/skee/games/skeewars.html
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:43:00 pm by nickels »
D'oh!

steme7

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2017, 11:21:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2016, 05:32:36 pm »
This is awesome!  The games you created are amazing!