Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any other tall users here build a lusid design?  (Read 1222 times)

syph007

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
Any other tall users here build a lusid design?
« on: September 09, 2009, 08:34:03 am »
I went with that style as it does seem pretty good.  I've got to the stage where I've got the sides and back all together.  Now this morning I was standing in front of it and wondering how it would feel to play.  Standing up in front my eyes looking straight forward are at about the center of the marquee.  I'm getting worried this is going to be too short.  But how tall were classic games, taller than 6'2"?  I can always build a base for it I guess, or maybe angle the monitor back more... anyway, just wondering if anyone else had this concern and solved it.  I'm 6'3" btw.

Thanks.

Dr Zero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2018, 06:06:43 pm
  • Sunny Florida North
    • Drzero.org
Re: Any other tall users here build a lusid design?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:31:20 am »
I have the same kind of issue with sinks ours are too low in the house LOL When I re do the bathroom they are going up along with just about everything else.

Try this put your elbows at your side with your arm out and the have someone measure from the floor to the bottom on your hand and that should give you a general height of where you might want to the CP maybe a little lower or etc.

I put the sizes of the different dynamo cabs over on my dynamo page if you want to get an idea how tall they were
http://www.drzero.org/videogames/dynamo/
Manuals and info on Dynamo cabs!

u_rebelscum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 07:00:45 pm »
Have you seen the non-ergonomic or weird stances tallish people use when playing?  The three I see the most are "Hunch back", "spread legs" (aka "no one else can play one this cab or the player 2 on the cab to my left or player 1 on the cab to my right"), and "race start" (one bent leg forward and the other straight back).

IMO, most cabs are designed for ~5' 6", with a "nice" range of ~5' 2" up to 5' 10", and "usable" for ~4' 10" and up to 7' (higher?).  I'm only 6', and many of the cabs are too short for both my hands in an ergonomic position and for the marque shining in my face.  (Total generalization and some cabs don't match; but I just said "most", not all.)

I haven't built my cab yet, partially because I want mine to fit me, which means upsizing almost all the plans I've seen, or drawing up my own.  For me to get my eyes below the 8" tall marque, that means the cab needs to be at least 6' 6" tall (after adding casters which can add an inch or two); eyes @ ~5' 10" + 8" = 6' 6".  That's 78", and most cabs seem to run ~70"-75".  Lusid's is 74" IIRC; IMO too short for me, and therefore too shorter for you. 

So.... IMO boost it 4"-7" and hopefully it will be perfect (control panel unsure, but it might need a raise also to stop hearing your wrists).  Or finish this one and built your second, with redesigns based on all that you learned from the first one. :P  (Some others may say "that's the way the real cabs are so live with it".  IMO, it's your cab so make it fit you.)

FWIW, I'm working on poleposition cab up stretched to 80" tall, but this messes with the proportions and angles that I like about the original.  So it's harder than I was hoping.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2024, 05:50:03 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 10:22:05 pm »
You could make a small pedestal for the cabinet to sit on top of.

Anyone who was shorter, could reach down on to the bottom of the pedestal,
and pull out the small standing platform.  Like 2 dresser drawers, but the dressers are
solid units which you can stand on.

There would be 2 or 3 drawers, so people of different of same heights could choose
to pull out one, both, or none.

Make sure you put the leg levelers down, maybe a small indent for them on the
pedestals top... so that the game always stays centered on the thing.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:24:16 pm by Xiaou2 »

Octo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2011, 05:55:22 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:01:59 am »
6'5" here, and I normally use the "race stance" :lol Most modern cabs don't give me too much trouble, but the damned DK cab at the Drafthouse makes me look like Fezzick...

syph007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 06:48:23 am »
Ya Im still not sure what to do.  I could make a base to give it some height.  Or maybe do most people in their own homes just sit on a stool mostly anyhow?  Maybe then its not a big deal?

isucamper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2019, 05:13:08 pm
  • I'm a slasher... of prices!!
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 07:59:10 am »
I'm 6'4" and have no problems with my Lucid based Project Arcade cab (isucamper.1up.com).  I followed the book pretty close... don't worry the thing turns out huge.  I stand straight up and it's comfortable for several hours.  Yeah, the marquee is at eye level, but I've had no problems.

One thing I would change if I could is to maybe angle the monitor more than I did.  Not for comfort but to make it a little more arcade like. 
THE SYSTEM          Popeye

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 06:43:52 am »
That's why I love sit-down cabs. They pretty much fit everyone.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

XeviouS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2016, 08:38:20 am
    • Noah's Arkade
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 07:40:49 am »
Ya Im still not sure what to do.  I could make a base to give it some height.  Or maybe do most people in their own homes just sit on a stool mostly anyhow?  Maybe then its not a big deal?

This design should cover your needs: