Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: To MAME or not to MAME? And if so, how?  (Read 1746 times)

U2Edge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2012, 12:14:26 pm
To MAME or not to MAME? And if so, how?
« on: December 07, 2006, 12:50:36 pm »
Before I get started, let me just say I've read these forums for hours (but am now just able to post with the new users bug being fixed) and bought the Project Arcade book.  I just wanted everything in one nice location.  I'm pretty sure about most of the stuff, but I want to be absolutely sure before I start tearing into my cabinet.

That being said...

I have a dedicated 4-player NBA Jam cabinet.  I bought a v.3 NBA Jam TE PCB and was able to flip flop to it and play it as well.  Eventually, I will want to play the v.1 as it has additional hidden characters.  I'll probably also want to be able to play other games and/or use the jukebox function in GameEx that I bought for my PC.  So yeah, I'm thinking I'll want to MAME it.  Is it horrible to MAME a dedicated cabinet?  Of course, I'd want to keep it as clean and simple as possible.  I can't play any Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter-type games that require more than three buttons and since I have an 8-way joystick, unless I lock 'em into 4-player mode, 4-way games would be a little harder to play.  But I'm sure there's enough games out there that might pique my interest...

I understand the basics on MAME'ing and converting with J-Pacs, etc...but let me be sure.

- I would use a J-Pac and an I-Pac 2.  I would then have to cut the wires from the wiring harness from players 3 and 4, PREFERABLY put the ends into a molex male connector and then run wires from the I-Pac 2 into a female molex connector and join 'em, correct?

- I would have to disconnect the arcade power cord from the wall, correct?  If so, what powers the arcade monitor?  I'd also have to find a new way to power the marquee and/or the coin door lights as well, right?

- I assume the NBA Jam monitor runs at 15 Khz.  So an ArcadeVGA card would suit me, right?  Would this also work well (resolution-wise) if I wanted to use the jukebox feature in GameEX?

Does that sound like what I'd need to do the conversion?  J-Pac + I-Pac2 + Arcade VGA + power hacks?  I've got a stacked PC (Windows Media Center Edition 2005 Pentium 4D 2.8GHz, 1 GB Ram, 250GB HD) and bought a 2.1 external speaker setup for sound and a remote and receiver for jumping around in the jukebox mode, etc.

Would you MAME it?  Does it sound like I have the basic grasp on converting it?  I feel like I've done a lot of research, I just want to make sure that it'd be worth it and that I'm 100% sure before I starting throwing out some cash and cutting up wires.

Thanks for all of your help!

lloydcom

Re: To MAME or not to MAME? And if so, how?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 06:26:25 pm »
Considering the hardware requirements to play NBA Jam is high, I would keep the original game in the cabinet and if the cab is Jamma, just install a Jamma adaptor and a Jpac.  That way if you want to sell the cab, you can with the original board in and make more money.

Sounds like you have a nice project on your hands.

Let us know how you get on.

U2Edge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 07:15:30 pm »
The requirements to play NBA Jam are high on MAME, but the CPU I have can easily handle it...it is a P4D 2.8Ghz with a gig of ram.  I plan on keeping the PCB for possible future resale, but if I want to MAME it in the meantime, what would you recommend?  A J-Pac will give me players 1 and 2, but if I want to play a 4-player game in MAME, won't I need an I-Pac2 as well?  Or is that what you meant by "Jamma adaptor"?

P.S. The cabinet is within JAMMA specs (4-player, three buttons each plus start button). 

Thanks!

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 09:33:37 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 10:25:29 pm »
The requirements to play NBA Jam are high on MAME, but the CPU I have can easily handle it...it is a P4D 2.8Ghz with a gig of ram.  I plan on keeping the PCB for possible future resale, but if I want to MAME it in the meantime, what would you recommend?  A J-Pac will give me players 1 and 2, but if I want to play a 4-player game in MAME, won't I need an I-Pac2 as well?  Or is that what you meant by "Jamma adaptor"?

P.S. The cabinet is within JAMMA specs (4-player, three buttons each plus start button). 

Thanks!

JAMMA is 2 player, 3 buttons, so you will need an additional encoder.

I see no real crime in MAMEing something like NBAJam, although I am somewhat surprised to see people condoning the modification of original equipment as it could lead to piracy! Might want to check with Midway to see what they think ! :laugh2:

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 10:38:44 pm by CheffoJeffo »
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

U2Edge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 11:05:58 pm »

Thanks!

Yep, brain fart on my part.  But earlier I said I would need a J-Pac AND an I-Pac2 (for players 3 and 4).

lloydcom

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 12:01:32 pm »

Thanks!

I see no real crime in MAMEing something like NBAJam, although I am somewhat surprised to see people condoning the modification of original equipment as it could lead to piracy! Might want to check with Midway to see what they think ! :laugh2:

Cheers

Robby Roto is PD Mame as is Major Havok, so there is nothing wrong in converting a cab to play games other than Mame.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 12:06:58 pm »
Robby Roto is PD Mame as is Major Havok, so there is nothing wrong in converting a cab to play games other than Mame.

Sorry, must have missed the distinction between modding this hardware for legal purposes and modding other hardware for legal purposes ...

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2011, 11:48:50 am
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 01:32:34 pm »
Speaking of NBA Jam I was playing it last night.  I love how it has the memory thing going on.  Says what the most used team is at the location.  I like Orlando Magic cause it has Shaq (dunks) Skiles (threes).  Fun.  My cab is only a two player one though so if we ever do get 4 players over 2 players have to use USB gamepads(Xbox 360 controllers).

gibbous

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2013, 12:43:17 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 04:47:36 pm »
You'll only get flak if you destroy games that mean a lot to a lot of people.  People seem very attached to Trons, I'm after a nice Tempest, myself.

Orlando is OK, Utah is THE team on that game.  Stockton for threes and Malone for dunks PLUS mid-range shots.  Plus, a Stockton layup is almost UNBLOCKABLE!

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 04:51:44 pm »
I prefer NBA hangtime myself. I like the aspect of building your characters stats.

BTW, NBA Jam never had Shaq. Shandon Anderson was his replacement in the game. Might as well come out and say you played Jordan with Chicago... :lame:

Game makers couldn't afford either of their licensing costs.

gibbous

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2013, 12:43:17 pm
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 04:55:27 pm »
He could've been playing another version.

But I think I remember Nick Anderson, not Shandon, as being on Orlando in the arcade....

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 04:58:51 pm »
WTF!!?!?! I just cracked open the original NBA jam and there was Shaq in the flesh. I KNOW for a fact that Shaq wasn't in the arcade because I was pissed off about it when they got the NBA jam machine at the local arcade.

I guess I owe you an apology dude. My bad...even though I am thoroughly cornfused now. :dunno

U2Edge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 05:03:21 pm »
WTF!!?!?! I just cracked open the original NBA jam and there was Shaq in the flesh. I KNOW for a fact that Shaq wasn't in the arcade because I was pissed off about it when they got the NBA jam machine at the local arcade.

I guess I owe you an apology dude. My bad...even though I am thoroughly cornfused now. :dunno

The original NBA Jam ALWAYS had Shaq in all versions.  Shandon Anderson never played for Orlando that I know of.  No, they never had MJ, but they had Shaq -- I heard they almost didnt get him.  That is why I like NBA Jam somewhat better than TE -- cuz he is on there.  On TE, it is Nick Anderson, Penny Hardaway and Scott Skiles.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 05:39:20 pm by U2Edge »

lloydcom

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 05:16:58 pm »

Sorry, must have missed the distinction between modding this hardware for legal purposes and modding other hardware for legal purposes ...

Sorry Jeffo you totally lost me on that one.  Modding a cabinet to play PC games, is not illegal, as you are just wiring the controllers.  So please give us a clue where you are going with this.  I wouldn't want to tar you with he same brush as others I can think of here.

Oh wait a second... I get it now... It's a cheap shot.  Nice one Jeffo! You a funny guy!  :laugh2:

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 05:18:03 pm »
Oh wait a second... I get it now... It's a cheap shot.  Nice one Jeffo! You a funny guy!  :laugh2:

:applaud:

Cheers

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 09:17:58 pm »
I was worried he wouldn't get it, but then in the end he came through.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.