Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame Cocktail Arcade Question  (Read 2004 times)

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 09:26:46 pm
Mame Cocktail Arcade Question
« on: March 07, 2011, 08:43:55 am »
Was thinking about building a 3-sided mame cocktail but don't really know how to get the screen to change from horizontal to vertical for games like Galaga and Burgertime to Street Fighter and Strider. Is Mame programmed a certain way for these games or there a software out there that everyone is using.

Any help would be appreciated.

:cheers:

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Re: Mame Cocktail Arcade Question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:48:50 am »
Normally mame is rotating the display for vertical games. You just turn that off in the ini and it displays vertical games "sideways", which is where your controls will be.

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:28:49 am »
 ??? I'm not sure what you mean. But I think I know where to start looking. (always wanted to build a cocktail arcade but switching from horizontal to vertical made me stay away from it)

I'll give it a try tonight.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 09:39:12 am »
Well maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking.. What do you mean switching?

When you say 3 sided cocktail I assume you mean controls on either end of the monitor vertically and a set of sticks along a horizontal edge.

Vertical games are normally presented 'rotated' 90 degrees on a horizontal monitor. If you'll be sitting at the monitor vertically for those games you just tell mame not to rotate it by turning off the rotation feature. This is automatic depending on if the game is classified as vertical or not. If you were sitting where the monitor is horizontal to you, the games would look sideways. But since you'll be moving to the end of the cabinet to play the games vertically they'll be correct.

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 12:43:14 pm »
Sorry for the confusion. But somehow you answered my question even with my poor explanation.
I'm thinking about using a flat screen CRT 32" TV with a dedicated 4-way joystick (for vertical games) and 2-player set-up (for fighting games).

Hopefully I can get this to work (if not I might just build another bartop)