Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Planning my Cab.  (Read 5462 times)

Witchboard

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2022, 09:09:24 pm
    • Oklahoma Coin-Operated Collectors
Planning my Cab.
« on: February 05, 2004, 12:10:23 am »
Well, I've been back and forth on the planning stages of my cabinet.  At first I wanted a 4-player control panel, but then, I was thinking it might be too big.  Then maybe it won't... ugh... can't make up my mind.  Anyway, I FINALLY found the SNK cab I was looking for to use as a base design.  Of course it was the last placed I looked, but at least I found it.  I busted out my trusty tape measure and got to work.  I drew it up in Sketchup.  I took me a couple of days not using this program before, but it's a very cool program.  The trial period is nice and lengthy.  I'm still missing some key parts of the cabinet like how the monitor is mounted.  I'm not sure how monitors are mounted in these things, but I'm sure I'll run across the info somewhere.

Next I'll have to find my TV and adjust the plans accordingly, which may give me more room for the CP.  I'm still considering making removable control panels, but I'm not quite sure yet.  Seeing as how I haven't purchased anything yet, all these plans are easily changed.  I just have to get it straight before I start since I'm not made of money, contrary to what my wife thinks.  ;D  In the meantime, I'm working on  my side art and marquee.  Just have to decide how big the marquee will be.  I have to admit, if the building part will be half as fun as the planning.  I may end up having more than one of these if possible.

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
Re:Planning my Cab.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 12:11:51 am »
Odd.  Image didn't show the first time.  Let's try again.

BobbyG66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2016, 11:52:09 am
  • Current project: Dodgeball
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 08:21:01 am »
Looks good.  That's a big marquee ya got there! It's twice as big as the control panel.

I like the look of the lower front end underneath the control panel.

Keep going!
Half of the people you meet are below average.

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 08:27:50 am »
Hey your right--i didn't even notice that--any thoughts of switching dimensions?  You'll love the real estate once you have it!
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 08:53:43 am »
That's one of the big Neo-Geo machines, right?

http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/N/sNeo_Geo_MVS.jpg

Those cabs do have a really big marquee.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 09:10:34 am »
Correct.  The reason for the large marquee is because the speakers are mounted facing out instead of down under the marquee.  I'm actually thinking of mounting larger speakers and having a vertical lit marquee between them.  What do you guys think?

As for changing the dimensions of the cab, I'll probably only have to make it wider.  I plan on mounting a 27" TV horizontal and this cab already holds a 25".  I probably won't gain much, but if I choose to go with a removable CP then it may make the 4 player one look less overwhelming.  I'm just really torn on the CP issue right now, but I guess there's no rush at the moment.

BobbyG66

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 10:01:32 am »
Had not seen one of the Neo-Geo cabs before.  Have not even heard of Neo-Geo before finding mame.  But you know what? They are some of the best games out there!  Great graphics and fun gameplay.

If you are putting speakers up there, it makes sense, it will look good and should sound good also.

orntar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2010, 03:35:04 pm
  • boo!
    • neogeo.orntar
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 10:58:56 am »
i built a neo-geo emulator cab.

http://neogeo.orntar.net/

i put a 27" rca in there, and 25.5" internal dimensions are perfect! (original 4-slot neo-geo is 24" internal) of course i'm sure different tv's will have slightly different dimensions, but at least its a good estimator.

cheers.  ;D
- just say no to capitol letters -

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 04:17:15 pm »
Bobby: Yeah, Neo-Geo systems are great.  Just seems they are hard to find these days.  They are still making new games, but I guess the new 3D fighting era is knocking them out of the spotlight.

orntar: I took a look at your cab when you posted it in the forum.  I'm hoping mine turns out as well, but I'm not sure if I'm going to go with the traditional color scheme or not.  Still plenty of time before I have to make decisions like that.  Thanks for sharing your work.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 03:44:39 am »
Neo Geo marquees, sideart, monitor bezels and overlays are still commonly available new (NOS). I remember looking at a complete artowork set on ebay for $25 a couple days ago.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 09:17:43 am »
That's cool to know.  Thanks paigeoliver.  I think I'm going to customize mine though.  I've been thinking that if I really wanted to reproduce the MVS system it would probably be easier just to buy an old MVS cab.  I still keep it in mind though.  Just so many options.

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 10:19:17 am »
Just looked at your image again. Is this going to be a two piece cab? Were the original Neo Geo cabs two piece? Seems like a good idea if you have to move it much.

-S

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 11:33:07 am »
Yes, I was planning on makeing it a two piece cab.  I'm not sure if the original MVS cabs are two peice or not.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to peek inside to see exactly how far up the base goes into the top, so that's just a guesstimate on my part.

orntar

• Offline Offline
  • boo!
    • neogeo.orntar
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2004, 11:36:32 am »
I'm not sure if the original MVS cabs are two peice or not.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to peek inside to see exactly how far up the base goes into the top, so that's just a guesstimate on my part.

yea, most of the original 4-slot mvs and 6-slot mvs were constructed like that. the 1-slots and 2-slots were one piece, but some were converted to 4-slots.

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2004, 11:55:13 am »
Orntar, does yours come apart in two pieces as well? How are two piece cabs held together?

-S

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2004, 12:09:12 pm »
From what I have seen on orntar's website, he has a one peice cab.  I'm not sure how two peice cabs are held together.  I'll have to check out other peoples two peice designs and see how they secure the top to the bottom.

orntar, when we say two peice, we mean where they can come apart for easy transport.  Not sure if you knew this or not.  Just trying to keep the confusion to a minimum.

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2004, 12:34:44 pm »
Obviously the easiest, securest way would be with carrage bolts through the side. That certainly wouldn't be the prettiest way though. I don't think clamps (like CPs are held on) would be secure enough, but maybe they would be if they were a lot bigger.

-S

orntar

• Offline Offline
  • boo!
    • neogeo.orntar
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2004, 12:45:13 pm »
From what I have seen on orntar's website, he has a one peice cab.  I'm not sure how two peice cabs are held together.  I'll have to check out other peoples two peice designs and see how they secure the top to the bottom.

orntar, when we say two peice, we mean where they can come apart for easy transport.  Not sure if you knew this or not.  Just trying to keep the confusion to a minimum.

yes mine is one piece.

i know you guys meant that they can come apart for moving and what not, but as for the 2-piece looking original mvs cabs... i'm not sure if they are permanent or not.

i sketched up a 2 piece in autocad before i made mine, but i could not get it to fit on a single sheet of mdf, so i abandoned it for the look of the 1-slot cabs.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 12:51:47 pm by orntar »

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2004, 02:48:46 pm »
Obviously the easiest, securest way would be with carrage bolts through the side. That certainly wouldn't be the prettiest way though. I don't think clamps (like CPs are held on) would be secure enough, but maybe they would be if they were a lot bigger.

-S

I thought about that, but the only way to make it look good would to countersink the bolt heads and maybe put plastic caps over them.  I'm obviously going to have to make a brace on the inside of the top for the base to rest on.  Maybe I can put clamps on the inside from the brace on the top to the base, kinda like large versions of those luggage ones.  Hard for me to explain, I'll try to find pics.

i know you guys meant that they can come apart for moving and what not, but as for the 2-piece looking original mvs cabs... i'm not sure if they are permanent or not.

That makes two of us.  I'm lucky I even found a MVS cab to start with.

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2004, 11:05:00 pm »
Playing with the concept of a CP large enough for 4 players.  Any feedback?

orntar

• Offline Offline
  • boo!
    • neogeo.orntar
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2004, 11:09:53 pm »
Playing with the concept of a CP large enough for 4 players.  Any feedback?

wow! that looks cool. but not my taste personally. i don't think i would ever have four freinds over at once to play. nor do i have any four player games, i think.

if you actually have an mvs cab to start with, just restore it and make your own paint/graphics theme. i like the look of mvs anyhow, and it not like your cheating.  ;)

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2004, 11:15:28 pm »
I'm actually planning building this from scratch.  I just based my design off the MVS.  Pretty much straight copied it. LOL  There are several 4 player games that would be played at my house.  I'm thinking that with this setup, I may be able to have all the controls I want and not worry about making swapable panels.  I'm still not sure yet.  When I have time on my hands I might as well brainstorm.

BobbyG66

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2004, 05:06:54 pm »
I like the new design for the four player CP.

What is going on the angled wedge? Setup buttons or controls?

I would make it a little smaller and give yourself more room on the flat main surface for more controls.

Just an idea...

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2004, 09:57:10 pm »
I'm thinking I may be able to put my trackball, spinner and joystick up there.  I'm not quite sure yet.  I only plan on having the player start buttons (4) and a shift key for my Ipac.  I'm going to take the measurements to Visio and see how everything will pan out.

Iori

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2005, 06:16:15 pm
  • Ready... Fight!!!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2004, 12:57:00 am »
i built a neo-geo emulator cab.

http://neogeo.orntar.net/

i put a 27" rca in there, and 25.5" internal dimensions are perfect! (original 4-slot neo-geo is 24" internal) of course i'm sure different tv's will have slightly different dimensions, but at least its a good estimator.

cheers.  ;D

Wow orntar, awesome cab!  Sweet!  :)  I like where your cab is going too Witchboard!  Now I want to do a MVS cab too!  Would be sweet, but I already have my first cab in progress and my second partially planned...  will the third be a Neo Geo MVS?  Who nows.  Wouldn't mind getting an actual MVS for my 3rd cab and keeping it real with the carts either.

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2004, 02:28:37 pm »
I would love to have a real MVS cab.  I think this is financially my best approach.  You know all the Neo-Geo games will be on there.  ;D

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2004, 09:01:58 am »
I personally don't like the looks of the cabs that have a control panel that extends beyond the sides of the cab. I guess that's because I grew up playing the older 80's type. It's a good design, though. I like the multi level control surface.

-S

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2004, 07:09:07 pm »
I can understand that.  I'm worried somebody will knock a hip off walking by it.  If you're wanting a 4-player CP, having a smaller panel really isn't an option.  I could always make the whole cabinet 45" wide.  :o Maybe not.  Well, I drew up some layouts in Visio.  I think this is what I'm going to go with unless I think of something else.  No room for a flight stick, but I really don't play a lot of games that require them.  It would have been fun to play some Afterburner and the like, but I guess I'll have to live with what I got... or make another cab.  ;D  Let me know what you guys think of this layout.

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2004, 08:33:53 am »
I think it looks like the instrument cluster on a 747! j/k.  ;)

I'm not sur ehow easy it will be to use the trackball at that angle, but otherwise it looks good.

-S

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2004, 11:41:53 pm »
Well, I'm not sure if I'm going with a 4 player CP after all.  I still may, but everybody seems to be making swapable CP's and that seems to be the way to go.  If I still want a 4 player CP I can always make one and put it on.

I ordered a coin door of eBay and have had it for a couple of weeks.  It seems to be in pretty nice shape.  Needs some paint so I'm thinking about taking it to my fathers house and bead blasting it and repainting.  Anyone have any links to information on refinishing coin doors?

Needing a little input.  I'm working on my color scheme for the cabinet and decided to go with a gray instead of black.  I'm trying to decide between the orange or red t-molding.  They both look pretty good to me, but I'm leaning towards the red.  If anyone has any comments on these two colors from t-molding.com let me know.  Thanks.

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2004, 11:42:33 pm »
Red.

Sprucemoose

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2009, 03:56:10 pm
  • You Spent How Much?!
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2004, 07:42:47 am »
Da' Red!

Go Bucks!  Looks good, Can't wait to see the progress

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2004, 01:12:35 pm »
My wife concurs.  Looks like that decision has been made.

toand

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2004, 09:42:33 am
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2004, 09:46:46 am »
Looks great Witchboard  ;D
Do you have the dimesions or perhaps the sketchup file for download? I'm thinking about building my own cab but they are hard to find here in sweden, atleast to take som measurments..  :'(
toand

flampoo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2014, 11:41:07 am
  • BYObsession
    • flampoo
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2004, 02:13:57 pm »
Anyone have any links to information on refinishing coin doors?

Peale has a good tutorial on fixing up a coin door.

http://www.pealefamily.net/tech/mame/coindoor/

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2004, 09:28:36 pm »
Looks great Witchboard  ;D
Do you have the dimesions or perhaps the sketchup file for download? I'm thinking about building my own cab but they are hard to find here in sweden, atleast to take som measurments..  :'(
toand

Sure.  If you want the file for sketchup, you can get it here.  I can

toand

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2004, 09:42:33 am
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2004, 01:40:34 pm »
Sure.  If you want the file for sketchup, you can get it here.  I can

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2004, 02:49:49 pm »
No problem.  I didn't have intentions to release the plans until I was finished, but with my new son I'm falling behind.  I have to build him a toybox first. ^_^ No need for me to just sit on it.  Good luck and be sure to post pics and progress.

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
Happy as a pig in shi... well, happy.
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2004, 01:58:01 am »
One step closer.  I got my Radeon 8500 for what I was wanting to spend.  $40 off eBay.  I'll wait for it to show up to verify it's what I was looking for then it's off to ATI for the HDTV converter.  I'm really getting excited with the parts slowly starting to come together.

I may have changed my whole plan of my first cabinet.  I'm going to give it a try and see.  If I can make this first one, I should be able to make anything.  ;D  I'll build my Neo-Geo system second.