Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pop-a-ball aracde game with Raspberry Pi  (Read 2807 times)

orizzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Pop-a-ball aracde game with Raspberry Pi
« on: January 16, 2016, 04:22:39 pm »
Hi all,

I used to play the game Pop-A-Ball when I was a kid in the arcades.  Now I want to create my own.  If you don't know what that game is, here is a quick youtube video.

My question is, what can I buy to sense the balls are on a specific card (in a specific hole) and to make the balls pop?  I am fine with coding the software behind but trying to get a feel for what hardware I need.  I found some weight sensors for around $10 each, but with 25 or so holes, the project gets expensive quickly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks!

[Change the "https" to "http" and the video will embed instead of being a link.   ;D  -- Scott]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 09:41:03 pm by PL1 »

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:01:29 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: Pop-a-ball aracde game with Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 08:06:45 pm »
This video you speak of?

orizzle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 09:02:41 pm »
My bad, don't know where the link went:

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:01:29 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 10:02:12 pm »
Instead of doing weight sensors you can do a IR line break sensor.

Put a set in each hole,when the ball falls in it will break the beam sending a simple code (in/out) or how ever you want to do it.

I guess the hard part would be separating each set as a different card. You said your good at coding so I will leave that to you.

As far as the ball popping part it looks they could be little solenoids. One for each then a main one to push the whole playing field.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:39:26 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 10:10:08 pm »
For the sensors, you might want to look at IR LEDs/sensors from adafruit. (<$2 each)

This one is a beam-break-style pair that have been used for skeeball builds and pinewood derby timer triggers.

This one is a reflective-style pair that might work.

For the ball "popper", you might want to look into pinball solenoids like Vertical Up-Kickers (VUKs) -- this may take some experimenting to find the right one to launch the ball with the desired amount of force.

Scott

orizzle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 11:06:54 pm »
I'm looking at some cheap solenoids on eBay and watching a few youtube videos.  It seems like the cheap 12v solenoids probably won't pack enough punch to launch balls of that size. Has anyone tried anything similar?

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 03:44:24 am »
As for sensing the balls you can also use the switches that are common as coin switches.

When it comes to popping the balls, compressed air can be an alternative perhaps? You could scale it down and use standard ping pong balls...
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:36:54 pm
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 04:39:27 am »
For "sensing the ball", you could use a 10 cents photosensor: when when the ball is in place, the photosensor goes low. This should work with pingpong (read "weightless") balls too

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2024, 07:09:08 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 05:17:10 am »
As for popping the balls, could you use one piece of plywood, under the play field, with a pin for each hole.
Then have a solenoid move the plywood up and down. All the pins would move but would that matter?
The solenoid would have to be pretty hefty, requiring a power transistor to turn it on, and may be noisy, so this may not be desirable.
Or something like this, but you would need one for each hole:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/sol-102/miniature-12vdc-push-type-solenoid/1.html
And with just about any solenoid, you are going to need some type of driving circuit.

Edit: just read the customer comments on that solenoid, it may not work for what you want. I'd order just one first to try if it were me, if I decided to try them.

Edit again: If you used the one piece of plywood idea to move all the pins at once, you might could use a servo motor with a crank in the center of the plywood to move the plywood up and down in one servo revolution.
The panel wouldnt have to be plywood, it could be a lighter plastic sheet.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 05:24:26 am by DaOld Man »