Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade 2013-02-24 & Radeon HD 6450  (Read 2934 times)

duke_of_earl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2014, 05:10:24 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GroovyArcade 2013-02-24 & Radeon HD 6450
« on: December 27, 2013, 01:32:48 pm »
Hello everyone.

In my cabinet restoration project I wanted to use a Linux solution, and found that GroovyArcade worked great on my previous tests. Now I have decided to upgrade the motherboard, memory and CPU on the computer that will go inside the cabinet. The new graphics card (Radeon HD6450) is being troublesome.

I remember I read on some other thread about Calamity having tested one, and that he made it work, so I decided to try it. On the first test, with the computer attached to a TV, I got this:

Believing the problem was related to the 15Khz setup, I then tried attaching it to a computer monitor... same effect! I suspected the card was damaged, I even took it back to the seller, that told me the card was working fine, at least under Windows. That made me think it could be a generic Linux problem, and after searching the net I found out it's a quite common problem with that card, that can be solved by disabling kernel modesetting (not useful for setting the 15khz resolutions), or activating the Radeon DPM support (available only on kernels 3.11 or later).

I confirmed it was the case by booting a Ubuntu 13.10 Live CD with the default parameters (same artifact on screen) and with radeon.dpm=1, that worked fine. So my next step is to try to boot my previous GroovyArcade installation with a more recent kernel and see if it works. Will report back when I do.

ufoufo512

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2016, 02:09:41 pm
Re: GroovyArcade 2013-02-24 & Radeon HD 6450
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 04:39:44 am »
I am using 6450 myself with Groovy Arcade Linux. Works great with min dotclock 8. I do get corruption if the arcade monitor vsize is too big. Better have small margins instead . I am not around my cab in following days, but I can make some more tests & info once home.

ufoufo512

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2016, 02:09:41 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 03:43:15 pm »
I did have to disable boot splash screen, though. Having it enabled locked the system somewhere during the boot.

ves

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 am
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 03:53:03 pm »
Hello, you can try add options radeon dpm = 0 at  this file /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf

duke_of_earl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2014, 05:10:24 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 02:43:19 pm »
Hello, you can try add options radeon dpm = 0 at  this file /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf

Hello, ves, I have finally made it work. Actually, for my HD6450 to work, DPM must be enabled. I had previously enabled it by manually editing the boot entry on GRUB, but your method of modifying modprobe parameters is much easier, I tried it and it works. So the modification should be:

options radeon dpm = 1

By the way, DPM will be enabled by default on newer kernel versions, without the need for that fix. What kernel version will be included on the next version of GroovyArcade? I will test that new ISO as soon as it's available.