Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which 270 and 360 wheel to purchase? and mounting options for a Pedestal  (Read 3913 times)

Rockstead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 05:34:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I love driving games, I'm in the process of having a Pedestal built. I'm willing to purchase both a 270 and 360 wheel so that I can play the majority of games, my first love of racing was sprint and by the time I stopped going to Arcades, it had been Daytona.

I would love a driving cab but it won't happen.

- Are there mountable solutions for both types of wheels for a Pedestal, something I remove and just mount on demand?

- Which 270 wheel should I get?

- Which 360 wheel?

- Would the above come with peddles, shifters? would they be compatible with each other?

I would be curious to know how other people manage the wheels in a similar config.

Thanks

7theye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2016, 11:28:40 am
I have the g27 for a 270 wheel

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:30:34 pm
I have a G27 and an Xbox 360 wheel (used in conjunction with the wireless receiver) for 270 degree games.  Both seem to get the job done.  Both have mounts.  Both have paddle shifters in the back but the G27 also has the fixed-position shifter which is really nice for stuff like Daytona or Cruis'n.  Both come with pedals. The G27 also has a clutch pedal but hardly any arcade games use it and if you can use it standing up, you're a better man than I am.

The 360 degree wheel is a bit trickier.  I have a standalone controller with a Turbo Twist 2.  This is offered with an optional  5", 6" or 7" wheel.  7" would be the best but it's still a bit on the small side.  I remember reading that the concern was that anything bigger would be too heavy.  I have the 5" wheel but I bought this cheap, plastic 11" wheel; something you might find attached to a jungle gym. I then affixed that to the 5" wheel and it feels pretty good and combined they weigh a tad less than the 7" wheel.  Not a great solution, but I'm happy with it. I just use the pedals from one of my 270 degree wheels.  My only complaint about it is that if you aren't holding the wheel it usual wants one section to rotate towards the ground as if it's heavier.  You don't really notice when you are playing and a little piece of cloth under the wheel almost eliminates this problem.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:48:26 pm by DarthMarino »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 01:06:22 pm
I have a G27 and an Xbox 360 wheel (used in conjunction with the wireless receiver) for 270 degree games.  Both seem to get the job done.  Both have mounts.  Both have paddle shifters in the back but the G27 also has the fixed-position shifter which is really nice for stuff like Daytona or Cruis'n.  Both come with pedals. The G27 also has a clutch pedal but hardly any arcade games use it and if you can use it standing up, you're a better man than I am.

I'd add that the xbox360 wheel doesn't have directional force feedback when used on a PC, at least not last time I checked.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline

I'd add that the xbox360 wheel doesn't have directional force feedback when used on a PC, at least not last time I checked.

Does FF work on MAME at all?  In Model 2 I've felt a little feedback on the G27 when a car bumps me but it doesn't seem very strong. Barely worth mentioning.  Admittedly, I haven't played around the settings in the program.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 01:06:22 pm

Does FF work on MAME at all?  In Model 2 I've felt a little feedback on the G27 when a car bumps me but it doesn't seem very strong. Barely worth mentioning.  Admittedly, I haven't played around the settings in the program.

No directional feedback in MAME, but you can use MAMEhooker and do rumble effects in games like Outrun that had shaker motors.
(which isn't all that big of deal IMO since Cannonball adds actual force feedback)

Force feedback works great in Model 2, except on Sega Rally the wheel shakes between races.
Your model 2 settings in the ini file are probably off.
There's a thread around here about model 2 ffb settings.

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
Sorry, I had missed all the replies. It's nice to get a consensus that the G27 is the way to go, that's not an easy thing to get.

I'm going to order it. Does it mount nicely to a panel? Clamps on underneath and tighten? Still stays sturdy enough? I thought I saw somebody had screwed it in.

Great advice on the 360 wheel option, I saw the 7" add on to the Turbo Twist 2 and that's exactly what I was considering. I wanted the Turbo Twist 2 with Enery the Enery Storage Cylinder, will that make the wheel option less enjoyable? Wouldn't it be heavier to turn? I have never felt either so I can't judge.

When using the Turbo Twist wheel for games like sprint, do people then use the Pedals from the G27 for the break/gas or just buttons?

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
Sorry, I had missed all the replies. It's nice to get a consensus that the G27 is the way to go, that's not an easy thing to get.

I'm going to order it. Does it mount nicely to a panel? Clamps on underneath and tighten? Still stays sturdy enough? I thought I saw somebody had screwed it in.

Great advice on the 360 wheel option, I saw the 7" add on to the Turbo Twist 2 and that's exactly what I was considering. I wanted the Turbo Twist 2 with Enery the Enery Storage Cylinder, will that make the wheel option less enjoyable? Wouldn't it be heavier to turn? I have never felt either so I can't judge.

When using the Turbo Twist wheel for games like sprint, do people then use the Pedals from the G27 for the break/gas or just buttons?

It clamps on but how well it holds will depend on the specific surface you are using.  If you plan on keeping it hooked up at all times, I would screw it in.  The shifter can be clamped on or screwed in as well.

If you are only using the Turbo Twist 2 for racing games, then the Energy Storage Cylinder is pointless.  You won't even notice that it's there. The wheel has enough weight to spin on its own for quite a while.  If you plan on also playing something without the wheel like Tempest or Arkanoid, then definitely get it. 

When playing Super Sprint or Off Road, I use the G27 pedals for gas.

Rockstead

• Offline Offline

It clamps on but how well it holds will depend on the specific surface you are using.  If you plan on keeping it hooked up at all times, I would screw it in.  The shifter can be clamped on or screwed in as well.

If you are only using the Turbo Twist 2 for racing games, then the Energy Storage Cylinder is pointless.  You won't even notice that it's there. The wheel has enough weight to spin on its own for quite a while.  If you plan on also playing something without the wheel like Tempest or Arkanoid, then definitely get it. 

When playing Super Sprint or Off Road, I use the G27 pedals for gas.

Thanks for confirming, I actually thought the Enery Cylinder would make it too heavy for the wheel, good to know that's not the case and yes I'm a big fan of Arkanoid.

One problem, I'm not seeing any availability on the G27, and used pricing is crazy.

If I have no choice and go for the G29 and shifter, is it exactly the same as the G27? Or still not as good?

I also saw someone mentioned that the Logitech profiler wasn't available for the G29, is that still the case and what would that impact?

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
Wow, the resale market on the G27 is ridiculous, they want more for it then what it used to sell for new, on principle that is hard to swallow.

Given the higher cost of the G29, in addition to the shifter that needs to be purchased, would you still go for the G29 or the Thrust master T300RS with the better Pedals and shifter?

It's easy to find feedback on the G27, not so much so with the Thrust master and how well it works with emulated Arcade games.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 03:23:24 pm by Rockstead »

DaredevilDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2018, 01:14:45 am
  • Yes, I really am still working on it!
Looks like you decided on a wheel, but for what it's worth:

Last night I picked up a used Logitech Driving Force Ps3 wheel. I guess it has "pro" in the title too, but not sure. Got it off Craigs List for $30. Has pedals and a "switch" type shifter, rather than an H pattern.

It has force feedback and works well. I played it with Burnout Paradise on my PC/cabinet. Mounted it to a keyboard (music) stand with a board clamped across it, just to try it. If my control panel had more of a lip I could mount it there.

It is 200 degrees by default but can be adjusted in software to 900 degrees.

It's old and there are better ones, but for $30 it was a steal. It's a very good wheel. I need to put heavy weighting on the legs of the keyboard stand. I just had a big friend here playing it and he was dragging it around. But the clamps on the wheel unit held.

"Computer Space" (1st coin-op game ever) for MAME Front Ends Available Now!
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,155041.0.html

My Custom Motorcycle Cabinet Build For Custom Game (Daredevil Dave):
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151106.0.html