Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 4 wired controllers with only 2 USB ports (PS3)  (Read 12638 times)

Dizzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2014, 05:28:04 pm
4 wired controllers with only 2 USB ports (PS3)
« on: August 22, 2009, 01:07:35 pm »
Now that they dropped the price on the PS3, it's a little more feasible for me to put one in my machine. 

Question though....

I have a four player panel -- it seems like all of the PS3's they're making these days only come with 2 USB ports.  Anyone now if a USB hub will allow more than two wired controllers to be hooked up to it?

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
Re: 4 wired controllers with only 2 USB ports (PS3)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:47:24 pm »
Yes, just like on the PC, you can use a hub to expand the number of ports.  Presumably to a maximum number of 7.

What I couldn't tell you for sure is if each controller consistantly keeps it's controller number between reboots.

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 03:55:45 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 05:47:23 pm »
Yes, just like on the PC, you can use a hub to expand the number of ports.  Presumably to a maximum number of 7.

What I couldn't tell you for sure is if each controller consistantly keeps it's controller number between reboots.

PS3 supports at least 8 simultaneous local controllers... not that any PS3 games do that...

And no, they do not keep their numbers between reboots.  In fact, I haven't been able to figure out how it determines the number assignment.  Sometimes it seems to be whichever gets powered up first... Sometimes it feels completely random.

That said, all you need to do is hold the PS button to bring up the menu to change controller number assignment.  Once a session, max.

Are you putting a PS3 inside a cabinet and wiring an already existing control panel to it?  You should know wired controllers cannot power-on the PS3; only Sixaxis and DS3 controllers can do that.  You'll want to keep one handy if the PS3 is in a hard to reach place. 

More importantly, if this is the case, why put a PS3 in a cab?  Among the many reasons not to is the fact that the majority of PS3 games use the analog sticks, not digital controls.

Dizzle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 01:05:43 pm »
Right now, it seems like the most economical way to play Street Fighter 4 is on a Xbox 360 or PS3.  And I wouldn't have to deal with the whole control debacle that Capcom caused on the PC version.  I really don't feel like dealing with controller hacks (which seems like the only reliable way to get my controls to interface with a 360) so I'm leaning towards the PS3 since Ultimarc has an adapter for the minipacs I have in my panel.  That way, I can easily switch between my PC or consoles.

I'd like 4 players since Castle Crashers is coming out for the PS3 in the future.  Plus, Blaz Blue, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and Soul Calibur 4 among others would be pretty nice additions.  I also plan on getting the Wii adaptors for games like Smash Brothers Brawl and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

Thanks for reminding me about the controller assignment issue.  I'll have to make sure that's not gonna be a deal breaker.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 04:24:33 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 04:06:57 pm »
I really don't feel like dealing with controller hacks

What's wrong with controller hacks?

Dizzle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:26:57 pm »
Nothing if you're doing them.  ;)  But I'd just make a hot mess out of things.

Would this be something you'd be willing to take on?  I remember talking to you about it for a bit a little while ago, but after realizing how much effort was going to be involved, I figured it be more hassle than you wanted to deal with.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 04:24:33 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 04:53:17 pm »
Nothing if you're doing them.  ;)  But I'd just make a hot mess out of things.

Would this be something you'd be willing to take on?  I remember talking to you about it for a bit a little while ago, but after realizing how much effort was going to be involved, I figured it be more hassle than you wanted to deal with.

Refresh my memory, what exactly were you looking for?  (I purge my PMs from time to time, otherwise, I end up with 20+ pages of PMs).

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 07:56:06 pm »
Now that I think of it.  How many four player split screen/same screen games are there for the PS3?

Dizzle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 09:38:25 pm »
Basically, I'm trying to find a way to get my minpac encoder to interface with a hacked 360.  (The minipac is the one with the wiring harness).  It's output through either a ps/2 or ps/2 -> USB cable.  I'm guessing the only way to hook things up would be the install some type of switching box between the harness and the encoder.  If I remember correctly, the harness has 32 wires.

I'm starting to agree with the rest of you and think that 4 players for either the PS3 or 360 is unnecessary.  I think I'm gonna stick with two players.  Thanks for setting me straight all...  :cheers: