Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cabinet/CP Plans  (Read 2371 times)

Isometric Bacon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2014, 08:53:57 pm
  • Lets get dangerous!
Cabinet/CP Plans
« on: July 03, 2003, 03:18:31 am »
Hey guys.

I've already drawn up quite a few plans and ideas for my cabinet, (which i'm going to build from scratch) but I'd love some other people's ones, or see some actual real cabinet designs to reference to size etc and get some ideas from them. The same goes for control panels.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

F|end

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2007, 07:27:59 pm
  • I'm 250 euros away from a working cabinet...
Re:Cabinet/CP Plans
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 04:34:08 am »
Well, for my expirience i can tell you that some people are really selfish around here! (I'm not refering names but you know who you are)

I don't have a cab but when i build mine, i'll post the plans on a website...

Try going to Lusid's page on the examples section, he has great plans to a cab and you can even redesign at your taste!

Or if you want something more specific, try www.klov.com, when you'll find the site, you'll know what i'm talking about!

Well, good luck with your cab construction!  :)
Pedro Vieira

Bluntman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2006, 04:50:13 am
  • RTFM, failing that, kick it.
    • Bluntmation
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 06:26:18 am »
Well, for my expirience i can tell you that some people are really selfish around here! (I'm not refering names but you know who you are)

I don't have a cab but when i build mine, i'll post the plans on a website...
I think that the word selfish may be a little harsh... in my expeirience the denizens of this board are quite eager to help eachother out, (i know you only pointed the finger at "some", but still) I've yet to see anyone behaving in a selfish manner.
simply not providing plans on their website isn't selfish... refusing somone asking for the specific plans when the owner has them redily at hand MIGHT be called selfish, but I'm yet to witnis that
- but in the end, there are many other scources so it's just a drop in the pond if someone doesn't want to, or doesn't have the means to share their plans. alot of people simply modify Lusid's great plans anyway so having them put a scan of their plan up is kinda redundant.
sorry to rant, but I've found these boards nothing but helpful, ans the "s" word needed to be counter balanced. *shrug*

that said, when I get my cab done (MDF got delivered today) and the site for it goes live, I will have my own plans ready for download...
My design is slighty more complex than the average "lusid-mod" cabs that are common, so I'm hoping it can be usefull to some others looking for a "different take" :)

and my advice, do what I did... go through EVERY (working)link on the examples page, it'll take some time, but it's worth it for the ideas and inspiration gained.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega.

GSXRMovistar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2023, 07:10:28 pm
  • Gez, this is gonna be expensive!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148135.0.html
    • CoffeeCade
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 06:51:49 am »

I find that a bit of a negative comment, and considering you have only been registered on this board for a week I find it hard to see how you can comment about everyone here.

Myself I actually receive mails each day requesting various bits of info/help, but the problem is how these requests are made.  I

Isometric Bacon

• Offline Offline
  • Lets get dangerous!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 10:02:29 am »
My entire plan is going to be apart of my school project, so once I have that all out of the way I'll be sure to upload it so everyone can have a looksee.

I plan to make my own design, I'd just like to refer to some others for guidance and ideas. I also understand why some people might not want to give away their plans. I saw a few websites selling theirs, which there is nothing wrong with, but one of the ones I read earlier today (mini-mame) said that all the proceeds were going to be donated to useful MAME sites, to keep the community going. Now that's a noble idea.

Also, what is Lucid's URL again? I'd like to check out some of his designs.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 10:11:41 am »

Also, what is Lucid's URL again? I'd like to check out some of his designs.

Lucid

BobA :D

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 10:51:22 am »
I don't consider it selfish if someone wants an original machine. The moment they share their plans their machine won't be original anymore (if it's any good).

Not to go hounding on you, but until you've contributed alot to this board, it's not exactly fair to say that we're being selfish.

planetjay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 12:50:37 pm »
We need a "Cabinet Plans/Flame Wars" forum.  ;D

>:( My god people! LET IT GO! I realize that those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it, BUT must we constantly bring it up too? I pose the following question: As saint has already ASKED that the subject be dropped, what will it take to completely stop the whole Cabinet Plans/ Lawsuit Threatened subject from popping up again? Bans? Threaten the persons that keep bringing it up with a lawsuit? Break their fingers? What will it take?  >:(
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 12:56:14 pm »
Don't look at me. I didn't do it! *whistles innocently*  ::)

jakejake28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2005, 07:23:54 pm
  • Thank you sir, may I have another?
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 01:11:01 pm »
you really might wanna check this thread. it links to vectorasters cab, which is made with the dimensions of those old Midway cabs. they are my favorite cabs ever and possibly the most versatile, as almost any type of cp would look good on it. he has the plans in pdf format for download.

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=8828
It's all about the Pentiums

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 01:16:19 pm »
you really might wanna check this thread. it links to vectorasters cab, which is made with the dimensions of those old Midway cabs. they are my favorite cabs ever and possibly the most versatile, as almost any type of cp would look good on it. he has the plans in pdf format for download.

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=8828

That's my personal favorite as well. Plus it's a new addition so you won't have a million out there looking the same (no offense to Lusid users). I had just lost the link. I'de venture to guess that someone has used these things, but I haven't seen any posted project using these plans yet. I'm curious to see how they turn out.

BTW, nice save JakeJake...

TrickyFishy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2006, 02:37:20 am
    • miniMame.com - half-sized arcade cabinets
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 10:01:15 pm »
Bacon - If your insterested in comparing notes, you can download one of my drawings for miniMame.com at

http://minimame.com/downloads.asp

Oh, and BTW, thanks for the complement about donating the money to the MAME community. I put a lot of effort into the full instructions and drawings.  I was going to put them up for free but I thought they could draw a little monetary support for BYOC.  I'm definitely not making money on it.  It's just a hobby.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 10:02:35 pm by TrickyFishy »
70% PacMan cab

Vectoraster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2020, 12:55:33 pm
  • You *are* starting to annoy me.
    • The VectoRaster Network
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2003, 09:42:00 pm »
I'de venture to guess that someone has used these things, but I haven't seen any posted project using these plans yet. I'm curious to see how they turn out.

I got a message from someone 2 days ago who used the VectoRaster plans. He did an excellent job and hopefully he'll post his link soon.  The details/dimensions for mounting the WG D9200 are the most important part of the documentation.  Anyone considering using a 27" WG D9200 should find them useful.

They're up at http://www.pcreliability.com/vectoraster/

Isometric Bacon

• Offline Offline
  • Lets get dangerous!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2003, 09:07:30 pm »
I'm loving the look of that Vectoraster cab. It's simple, but it's really effective.

Now I need to look into control pad design. Are there any decent Plans/Documented building proccesses out there? I'd love to see just how some people made theirs.

jakejake28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2003, 09:15:32 pm »
a great one is thiis...

http://members.cox.net/joysticks/

night

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2018, 02:08:19 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 01:50:25 am »
my only thought... im trying to build a unique cab. and i want it to 'wow' ppl and all that when i finally finish. after the unvieling, i will be happy to share plans (i dont think anyone is brave enough to build my cab anyway) but it really doesnt matter past the point that everyone has seen it.

also, what i did was build lusids as a prototype. just to get an idea of dimensions and what it feels like standing in front of it.
im giving that one to a friend, and now im building a good one for myself.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 02:02:57 am »

Hee hee. You said old Midway cabs, so I follow the link expecting to see plans for the Pac-Man/Galaxian/Rally-X/Ms. Pac/Galaga/Bosconian/Super-Pac cabinet (all have same cabinet, with minor differences), but what do I see? The NBA Jam/Mortal Kombat cabinet, which is the new Midway cabinet (did they ever even change from that design before they stopped making games?

Btw, I am using the original old Midway cabinet for my horizontal cab, a Midway 8080 class cab from the Mid 70s.  ;D
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

jakejake28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2003, 08:33:21 am »

Hee hee. You said old Midway cabs, so I follow the link expecting to see plans for the Pac-Man/Galaxian/Rally-X/Ms. Pac/Galaga/Bosconian/Super-Pac cabinet (all have same cabinet, with minor differences), but what do I see? The NBA Jam/Mortal Kombat cabinet, which is the new Midway cabinet (did they ever even change from that design before they stopped making games?

Btw, I am using the original old Midway cabinet for my horizontal cab, a Midway 8080 class cab from the Mid 70s.  ;D

yup, got me there. made  a mistake, my bad