Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: mame + lcd monitor + light gun support  (Read 6727 times)

dcninj4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2009, 10:43:46 pm
mame + lcd monitor + light gun support
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:34:08 pm »
I have mame on a 22" lcd monitor on my pc. any lightguns that will work? Even just running one? I run mame 128

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 03:12:33 am
Re: mame + lcd monitor + light gun support
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 02:00:23 pm »
The lcd topgun. That is the only gun at the moment that supports it. Possibly over the next year or two there will be more options, but for now that will be it. The wiki has some setup info for the older version, but you can buy the Topgun II which from all reviews, has actually been quite a bit better.

Afterburner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2016, 01:02:00 am
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 02:23:34 pm »
Hmm....I'll have to check out the TopGun II.....I was very disappointed with the performance of my LCD Topgun.

It was a neat concept, and pretty cool.  I got it working on some games, but it was never really playable the way it should have been.

I think it probably worked well hooked up to a PS3 on a big screen TV or using a projector.  But it was woefully inadequate on my 17" PC monitor display in my cab.  I had to stand back something like 8 feet to get it to work reasonably well, at which point I could barely see enough detail to aim.

I know a few people replaced the lens on theirs with a wide-angle lens from a cell phone camera and had some success.  I keep meaning to give that a try.

2-player upright dual trackball / dual 8-way rotary joysticks - built from scratch

dcninj4

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2009, 10:43:46 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:20:19 pm »
I won't even bother, it's not like I'm a big fan of area 51 and lethal enforcers... lol... gun games get old fast...and it's just another cost to add to my cab... thank for the help!

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 03:12:33 am
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 03:29:13 am »
Yeah, I have a topgun and I would consider it as a bad product, but I would love it if the drivers were better.

Bluedeath

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2014, 11:20:09 am
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 11:09:13 am »
Just ignore the factory drivers and use Smog's ones instead.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:39:55 am by Bluedeath »
I give up  fighting keyboard dislexia, I lost.

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 11:46:19 am »
I know a few people replaced the lens on theirs with a wide-angle lens from a cell phone camera and had some success.  I keep meaning to give that a try.

Hi there,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but a question on the “wide angle lens” mod and the LCD Topgun’s.  I finally got a chance to properly configure the LCD Topgun’s, works really well but the secret for me was:  the LED bars should not match the monitor’s angle (ie: they have to be facing me near 90 degrees, the monitor can be at 75-80% no problemo) AND I needed to back away a bit more, about 6 feet from the 19” monitor. Now, I have to say, that’s a little far but it’s not too bad, it’s very usable and the light guns were very accurate but it would be REALLY cool if I could get a little closer, like within 4”.

So on that note, has anyone gotten the wide-angle lens add-on to work?  And if yes, where did they purchase the wide-angle lens? What model?  I notice from a google search there are two different types:  one is called “Jelly wide angle lens” and to be honest it looks more like a toy lens. The other is sold by: USBFever.com ($17), seems to be magnetic in nature, great for cell phones, not so great for a plastic lightgun. http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=789

Hmmm, wait a second, I notice they sell another one, a little cheaper ($12) for the Iphone 2G that seems to resemble the one seen on the youtube video:  http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=444

Can anyone confirm if any of these work ok? On the youtube vid, I wasn’t sure if there’s a chance for the wide angle lens to maybe “fall off” while playing (is it stuck on somehow?).

edit: final question: anyone know of Canadian retailers who supply these?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:51:00 am by Loafmeister »