Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Avengers MAME first build  (Read 4241 times)

Silasm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2012, 11:02:45 pm
Avengers MAME first build
« on: March 15, 2012, 11:55:16 pm »
I was sure I just submitted a topic, but I don't see it on the list???hopefully it doesn't show up after I post this one?!?

Anyway, this is my first build, as you can see in the topic. I learned about this custom arcade building on the Discovery channel like 5 years ago. About 6 months ago started doing up some sketches, cut the sides out in January, and learned about this site about 3 weeks later. A lot of good info on here!

My computer designing skills are pretty limited, but I know how to cut and paste. My art is done by gbeef (great work btw). I cut and pasted it into Microsoft Excel, and played around with the controls layout. I am looking for any advice on button placement. One thing I am curious about is how much room below the buttons I should have to rest your hands. I am considering having gbeef slide Galactus up so I can also slide the buttons up and not have them directly over his face. Also, wondering about the angle of the joysicks..

Any tips will be considered.

Thanks

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2024, 02:16:34 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: Avengers MAME first build
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:17:44 am »
About the angel of the joysticks... consensus advice will be don't.  Especially this being your first panel and being just two player there is no reason to take the risk (many including myself would argue one never should on the three and four player positions but that isn't germaine).  Have up be straight towards the monitor, perfect right angels with no offset and you'll never regret it.  I promise you aren't gaining anything by angeling.  

What sort of systems are you using, I imagine by the number of buttons you're doing console games as well, which is fine but sometimes less is more.  

GBeef's work is primo as always but I would align your top row of buttons with the centerline of your CP, perhaps even a bit higher, right now everything seems a bit low because of the sharp angel of the buttons as well.  I'd lose the angle and put them straight across.  You're probably worried about bumping player two or something right?  Don't be, it almost never happens and when it does it's on purpose... call it a tactical ploy.  You'll benefit by more room below than above your buttons, right now you've got some wasted real-estate.  Having the trackball a lower can be a good decision but for sure move those buttons up, line up your joysticks right, and align your joysticks with the top row of buttons as well, that trackball will be all but useless with the joystick planted right beside it.      

This hobby is wicked fun, looking good so far and with a few tweaks I think you'll have a CP that'll give you hours of fun!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:21:08 am by Le Chuck »

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:52:17 am »
What he said about angles.

Don't do them.  The controls should face straight up.

You really only need 7 buttons max for mame.  Technically it is just 6 buttons but the 7 button is to simulate neo-geo games.

As for feel, make a cardboard cutout and test it out.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

Silasm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:12:38 am »
Thanks for the tips,

I want to keep this unit as versatile as possible. I am just throwing a computer with windows XP in the bottom, and I want the option to run as many different games as I can think of. not looking for it to be purely turn on, pick your game.. I'll work on the button placement and joy angle this weekend, probably have to get the graphics tweaked a little. I think the cardboard idea is a worthwhile option, probably give that a shot this weekend.

I am beyond working with a plan on this thing, my drawings were pretty simple. I will post more pics when I am further along in my build.

Thanks again!

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 12:05:08 am »
I would do a test a CP and check button placement also. You need to watch where the components end up underneath. Also you need to ask your do you need 7-8 buttons. The CP was design for a 6 button layout, as the width is going to determined the spacing between first and second player.

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

Silasm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 03:07:33 pm »
I havent actually worked on it since starting this thread, but I thought I would add some pictures and find out if I am doing anything absolutley wrong. I did notice the other day someone recommended that the control panel be put as parallel to the ground as possible. Let me know what you guys think...

As I said, I learned about this site after the sides were cut out, so I have had to make some modifications along the way.

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 03:14:55 pm »
Any particular reason you are going with Galactus on the CP art?
Pictures are overrated anyway.

Silasm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 03:30:58 pm »
gbeef threw it in there and I thought it looked cool. Im not the biggest comic book fan out there, but I'm pretty sure I read that Thor battles Galactus at some point..

Silasm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:36:14 am »
Threw my 27" tube tv in to work on the bezel. The wood over the cp area is just to keep sawdust out, the actual one is going to be quite a bit bigger. My to-do list keeps getting smaller...

Dawgz Rule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:25:09 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:17:11 am »
+1 to Le Chuck and Green Giant.  They are on the money with what they posted.

Silasm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 12:24:52 pm »
Update for the week..

Bezel is pretty much done, just need to do some more sanding to make it look professional.. also most of the speaker holder is done. I still plan on routering out the back of the speaker holder to get them a little closer to the outside.

bigmatty77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2013, 08:06:49 am
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 02:28:37 pm »
Nice profile on this one, love the curves  :applaud:

Great theme too, i'm a sucker for anything Marvel, gbeef did a great job on the artwork

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2024, 11:01:29 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 02:32:29 pm »
I love the bezel curves. You nailed it.

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 04:27:58 pm »
Love the avengers/marvel history so I like the cab idea.  The bezel looks great!

Silasm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 06:16:22 pm »
Thanks for the positive feedback guys! When I did up the original sketches for this unit I had R2-D2 in mind, and I was planning on painting it myself to look like him. Then I found this site, and the custom artwork available. unlimited options here!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 06:41:55 pm »
Thanks for the positive feedback guys! When I did up the original sketches for this unit I had R2-D2 in mind, and I was planning on painting it myself to look like him. Then I found this site, and the custom artwork available. unlimited options here!

I love me a SW themed cab.  Shame that you've shifted gears but where you're headed looks great too.  That bezel is top notch   :applaud:

Silasm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 10:11:35 am »
Marquee is pretty much done, time to start in on the control panel...

is the glass in front of the screen recommended?? just looking at some of my favorite cabs on here, and most of them have the tinted plexi in front of the screen

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 01:09:01 pm »
I am going glass with mine, as i've heard that over time the plexi can warp, causing undesired reflections.

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2024, 08:30:10 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 02:30:39 pm »
Nice and curvy.  :applaud:

But make sure you test your control setup with that curvy CP before you use the artwork or route for T-Molding. Would be a shame to have to cut it if you realize that after installing everything that the CP curves get in the way now that you have straight rows of buttons.

To test your setup draw a bunch of circles on the CP where your controls will go and put your hands over them and mime like you're playing an epic game of Galaxian while making the shooting and exploding sounds with your mouth (I'm sure you have already though :P )
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:32:56 pm by Namco »

Hi-TEK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2012, 05:11:58 pm
  • Video Game Addict
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 10:00:24 pm »
Love the profile and design of the cab it's coming along nicely. Just to be politically correct since I am a comic book fan, Wolverine as never in the Avengers and should be removed off your marquee. You should be adding someone like Hawkeye, Wasp, Antman or Black Panther.
"Don't just stand there! Shoot something!" - Duke Nukem
The Invader Bartop - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=116345.0

Strokemouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2012, 01:44:10 pm
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 10:33:41 pm »
Love the profile and design of the cab it's coming along nicely. Just to be politically correct since I am a comic book fan, Wolverine as never in the Avengers and should be removed off your marquee. You should be adding someone like Hawkeye, Wasp, Antman or Black Panther.

Not to be pedantic, but Wolverine WAS in the Avengers. After the Avengers disbanded, he was part of the New Avengers and was with them from Civil War through Dark Reign if I remember correctly. But you're right, he was not a part of the "traditional" group most people know.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 10:54:02 pm »

Wow. Do you know what politically correct means? Your post should be removed and you should be adding some forethought before you click that post button.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 01:00:16 am »

Wow. Do you know what politically correct means? Your post should be removed and you should be adding some forethought before you click that post button.
:laugh2: