Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Playstation emulation  (Read 3712 times)

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2024, 08:21:17 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
Playstation emulation
« on: September 06, 2015, 11:59:57 pm »
I have always found that of all the older systems, the PS1 is the one that just didn't hold my love for it like the others have. For example, I tried playing Siphon Filter a few years back and was really disoriented. There's something about those older polygon graphics that aged more like milk than wine.

But the time has come for me to play a few of those older games, mainly Silent Hill, Bushido Blade, and Twisted Metal. What is the current emulator champ in terms of speed and ease?

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2024, 10:30:57 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Playstation emulation
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 02:36:52 am »
Don't forget King's Field.  I don't really know why but I love those games.  The atmosphere was awesome.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:42:41 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 05:51:52 am »
The playstation is just a snes on steroids and thus emulation is pretty good across the board.  I think epsx is the standard. 

I don't use playstation emulation for console games, because, let's face it, the system didn't age well.  It does have oddball arcade ports you can't find elsewhere.  For the longest time it was the only way to play many of the old laserdisc games like time gal and ninja hayate.  Of course singe changed all that. 

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 01:23:09 pm »
I put ePSXe on my computer and after very little hassle got it to play some games and look pretty good. But now I discover the exit problems! I cannot get it to exit properly. Pressing escape works, but I don't have a keyboard hooked up. I have joy2key working on my 1st player gamepad, and the left and right thumbstick buttons are mapped to alt and f4 so that when I click them in it closes the program. With ePSXe it closes the program but the audio still keeps playing and it crashes Mala.

I've downloaded PSX (another emulator) but haven't fudged around with it yet. I'm hoping to get it going with my setup though, because until I had this craving for silent hill it was all working super smooth!

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 01:43:34 pm »
pretty sure that's a Mala bug, because it does the exact same thing to me with joy2key.

Let me know if you find a work around, I've never found one.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 03:38:45 pm »
 :'( I tried making a Mala hook/hotkey for it and it worked once and never again

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:21:48 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 04:01:17 pm »
PS1 is emulated just fine on my $20 Xbox....

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 05:22:34 pm »
PS1 is emulated just fine on my $20 Xbox....

How's it doing for dreamcast? I can get it working fine, it's quitting that's the problem. I think that switching emulators is the answer.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 08:42:17 pm »
I tried a few emus and came to the conclusion that I was set on epsxe so I figured out a way that works for me. Originally I had tried adding Esc to my left thumbstick so pressing it was a combination alt and escape, but that combo doesn't work. So I added it to the right thumbstick, making it f4 & Esc. It all works now.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 03:46:54 am »
And for my next trick...

Did some final tweaking to my system. I use wired xbox 360 controllers, and downloaded some software to enable the home button and it configures to the exit key. Then I configured all the emulators to exit on that key, by either setting it in their software or using the MaLa hotkey function. I had to change out my NES emulator from Nestopia to FCEUX but it was pretty painless. In Nestopia, pressing escape brings up the file menu and wouldn't work with the hotkeys.

Now it all works, and I have once again gotten addicted to Bushido Blade 2.

butanebob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2022, 05:29:52 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 05:56:41 pm »
What is the current emulator champ in terms of speed and ease?
Mednafen via Retroarch is the way to go. There are no plugins, just pick your iso and play. It's extremely accurate.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 10:18:50 am »
I have always found that of all the older systems, the PS1 is the one that just didn't hold my love for it like the others have. For example, I tried playing Siphon Filter a few years back and was really disoriented. There's something about those older polygon graphics that aged more like milk than wine.

But the time has come for me to play a few of those older games, mainly Silent Hill, Bushido Blade, and Twisted Metal. What is the current emulator champ in terms of speed and ease?
Have you tries closemul at "http://vertrixgame.com/downloads" yet?  I use that to close any emus that dont have a convenient way to shut them down...

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 03:35:29 pm »
I am using ePSXe I believe and have everything working nicely. I Downloaded a little program that enables the xbox button on the 360 controller, and programmed it to be an exit button.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2024, 05:50:03 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 04:33:51 am »
Pretty much the only reason I bought a PS1  was for:

Ridge Racer!    I fell in Love with that game in the Arcade..  and the PS1 port is excellent in playabillity, difficulty/challenge, and sound.      Clear all the Invaders in the beginning, and unlock more cars.  Beat the full game, and you then get to race everything in the opposite direction.   Beat the black #13 Car,  win the game.. and it unlocks it for use.  The 13 car will actually let you lap it once or twice, before it gets going.   Its so fast, that it can easily still win the race... unless you are mad skilled at keeping him behind your bumper.  One skip up on a turn... and hes gone for good.

I think I had also picked up: 

Warhawk  (meh)
 Tomb Raider (horrible camera issues = bad experience)
 MK Trilogy?   (Load times killed the fun)

Philosoma ?    An interesting Shump that had many various perspectives.   Fairly cool.. but I recall it being a bear... and its one of the few games that I have never beaten.   I always swear Id fire it up again and try once more... but I never seem to have the time.  I think there may have been some cheap-ness about the game that ticked me off... and destroyed my will to play it again.

Rage Racer - Awesome game!  A slow start, but challenging and deep. This game eventually gets Real fast, and real intense.  Its still a blast to play.

Adventures of Lomax in Lemmingland - One of the few traditional style platformers.   Gorgeous graphics that scale in and out of the screen.  This game gets quite hard... and despite its child like looks... I think I recall it being quite a bear to beat.  (though, I think I initially didnt use the powerfups well when I started out).

I really didnt get into much more than that... as most of the games were 3d based, and didnt visually impress me.  Im more of a 2d guy... except for racing games.  (and nothing really beat  the speed, fun, and challenge of  RR and Rage Racer,  IMO.   I never could get into those SIM games.. as they just feel way too slow, and I didnt have a FFB wheel)

Its sad that Sony basically forced developers to produce all 3d games.   Only way Lomax got around this, was to paste the 2d graphics on a 3d framework.   That game itself is kinda rare I believe...  and I dont recall any other similar games for the ps1.

Edit:

How could I forget?!

Rayman!

Another great platformer.   Very tough.  Unique.  Graphically Luscious.  Atmospheric.    I wish they would have kept that same formula for the sequels..  but nothing since has captured that same difficulty, unique playability, and beautiful looking graphics.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:40:19 am by Xiaou2 »

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 03:13:19 pm »
I use "PSX" and it's just a simple, no-frills emulator. Works great for me.