Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega naomi restoration  (Read 3696 times)

seba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2013, 05:56:45 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Sega naomi restoration
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:39:39 pm »
Hello,

I'm really new to arcade systems. I'm only 23, so I missed most of their glory days. There is a lot I still need to find out about these things, but slowly I'm getting more educated.
Anyway, I got a sega naomi virtual striker 3 cabinet from a friend who picked it up at a local café that wanted to throw it away.
I see this as the beginning of my 'man-cave' :p.

It was in really bad shape (lots of rust and cigarette stains) and after 1 day of playing the console gave up. That was a good reason to strip it apart completely and give it a repaint. I'm still figuring out whether I will install a computer with jvs-pac (as the sega jvs io is still in good shape and the monitor is tri-sync) or what else I will put in it.

Here are the pictures of the transformation process:

The cigarette stains before, got these completely away with sandpaper & plastic putty

Overview stripped

Painting

Currently: assembling

Hopefully, I can find some time to finish this soon (but first I need to find out some more stuff about the electronics inside the cabinet).
I think I will sell it once it's done and start building my own wooden cabinet with led lighting and some other cool features, like many of you guys use.

I'm also doubting what controls I'll put in it. I'm thinking to buy the ultimarc servostik, anybody got a review for these?

Thanks for this great site!

Update 2 january 2013:
I found some time to continue the rebuild, I installed a pc inside the cab and I received some new components:
1) JVS-PAC
2) Ultimarc Pacled64
3) 2 ultimarc revostiks & control board.
4) A cable loom for player buttons 4-6 from giz10p (as it was a virtua striker 3 cabinet that only has 3 buttons for each player).

The jvs-pac works great. I'm still waiting for some rgb leds from china to test my pacled.
The revostiks were a real trouble to install because they didn't fit in a naomi control panel (of course I didn't check this before buying them). I had to modify and file the revosticks a bit and I used skateboard truck spacers to make everything fit. But now it's installed I'm really happy with them.

Here are some new pictures:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:30:36 pm by seba »

GibsonRiddler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2018, 03:26:11 pm
Re: Sega naomi restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:56:07 pm »
Haven't seen a black Naomi cab before. If you are restoring it you might want to check the original colors first.
I need a house to put stuff in, instead of an apartment with stacks of boxes.

seba

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2013, 05:56:45 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Sega naomi restoration
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:30:23 pm »
@gibsonriddler: Somebody at arcadeotaku said there were black naomi's. Don't know if he's right but I don't really care too much about keeping it original. Let's say I'm more transforming than restoring it.

Update 2 january 2013:
I found some time to continue the rebuild, I installed a pc inside the cab and I received some new components:
1) JVS-PAC
2) Ultimarc Pacled64
3) 2 ultimarc revostiks & control board.
4) A cable loom for player buttons 4-6 from giz10p (as it was a virtua striker 3 cabinet that only has 3 buttons for each player).

The jvs-pac works great. I'm still waiting for some rgb leds from china to test my pacled.
The revostiks were a real trouble to install because they didn't fit in a naomi control panel (of course I didn't check this before buying them). I had to modify and file the revosticks a bit and I used skateboard truck spacers to make everything fit. But now it's installed I'm really happy with them.

Here are some new pictures: