Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Bartop (17" LCD, 2P)  (Read 15188 times)

powtripp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2013, 10:02:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: First Bartop (17" LCD, 2P)
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2013, 07:37:20 pm »
Your detailed post is greatly appreciated! I ordered two of these for the flipper buttons.

The monitor bezel has been finished. I bought plexiglass from hobbylobby. Using the following steps, I prepped the outline for spraypainting:

1. Cut the plexiglass to the size of the entire front face.
2. With the piece pressed onto the front of the LCD screen, I taped off along the outside of the clear opening with masking tape (frog tape).
3. Flipped the plexiglass over and used the outline of the tape to tape off the inside portion of the clear opening, extending the tape further than necessary.
4. Used a boxcutter/ exactoknife to lightly cut the excess tape (without cutting through and scratching plexiglass) around the clear opening area. Then I teared the tape along the cut lines.
5. Lightly sanded the non-clear area with 220 sand paper.
6. Spray painted with indoor/outdoor black paint.

I did a couple coats within 5 minutes of each other and then pulled the tape off right away. Before pulling the tape off, I took a peek at the other side to make sure all spots were painted. The paint dried very quickly.

skjerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2016, 05:46:19 pm
  • Been working on my bartop for more than 5 years
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 11:27:44 am »
Hey powtripp,

Great job you're doing! - I really like the way it turns out.
I will be following you closely, as I'm making a cab almost exactly like yours - it has been a looooong project so far, as I started a few years ago, and only have time to work on it ocationally. Perhaps I should post my stuff on the forum to give myself a little pressure  :P

Well anyways.... One thing I've been struggling with is how to mount the plexi in front of the monitor. It seems like you found a way? - On my cab I have almost the same screen-mount as yours (although I have recessed the screen only 3/4 of the way into the bezel) and want to do the black-paint thingy on the plexi as well. And I really don't want to screw the plexi onto the bezel.
So please describe the solution you have found!

Keep up the good work! - I really look forward to seeing the final setup.

Cheers Carsten

CC-Arcade bartop. Own design, scratch built. Work in progress.

powtripp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2013, 10:02:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2013, 12:20:24 pm »
Perhaps I should post my stuff on the forum to give myself a little pressure  :P

Start a topic so others can give you insight. The help I have received has been invaluable.

And I really don't want to screw the plexi onto the bezel.
So please describe the solution you have found!

The bezel is actually not attached yet, it's just resting in place. I will attach it permanently after everything is painted.

I also do not want to use screws and intend to use glue. I am deciding on the type of glue to use. Gorilla glue seems to expand too much for this application. I won't need a strong adhesive. Velcro could be an option as well.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:22:44 pm by powtripp »

a1pharm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:25:50 pm
  • Planning and preparation prevents problems
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2013, 12:21:10 pm »
I used Velcro on my full-sized cab to keep my 1/4" plexi from tipping forward, and it worked perfectly.  I attached an L bracket behind the plexi, applied the velco to the bracket, and then to the plexi.  In addition, I used an aluminum "U" rail to hold the bottom of the plexi (and support the weight).  There is no "correct" way to affix your plexi, but certainly many solutions that will work just fine.