Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is this a feasible idea?  (Read 1156 times)

3dmacman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2010, 01:34:30 pm
  • Gaming, its a way of life.
Is this a feasible idea?
« on: August 06, 2003, 11:55:28 am »
Thinking about intgrating my nes, snes, ps1 into my cabinet. Maybe hacking all the pads so that they work with the arcade controls? Emulators are fun but what is the point if you have the consoles sitting around collecting dust.
Is this wiring insanity or a good idea? btw I don't have my arcade controls yet just kicking some thoughts around. ;D

tmasman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2024, 03:50:44 pm
  • Hello...
    • My (no so up to date) Home
Re:Is this a feasible idea?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 12:05:16 pm »
I'm also kicking around ideas like this...
However it's looking like in order to do all of this, you'll be looking at having to switch wires (to the system you want to use...PC,NES,PS, etc...) AND you'll need easy access to the systems.

I'm probably going to be looking into parallel port switch boxes for my multiple controls if I can't find an easier route. I'm only planning on my PC and a dreamcast in the cab right now, but I think it would be cool to include other systems as well.

So the answer is yes, but it will probably entail some hassles, like switching cables for controls & getting easy access to the systems to switch games etc... Also consider that you'll need an easy way to get the systems' image on your screen (if you use a Arcade monitor or PC monitor). a TV is easy... Daisy chain the RF adapters...
I'm not a freak!...
Oh wait...
Yes I am...

3dmacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 01:01:21 pm »
I already built a shelf that supports the systems that sits behind the coindoor. As far as daisy chaining the rf adapters that might work but how would I include the ps1 and the signal from the pc.  I was thinking of using one of those game switches I've seen around. The kind that has labels for ps1 gamecub,etc.  As far as switching wires couldn't I just use a wiriing block and split the inputs from the pads? ??? I haven't seen anybody do this yet so I thought I'd ask.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 01:23:24 pm »
When I was in college the dudes across the street did this, but in an annoying way.  The cp has a cord with a plug dangling underneith.  Then on the front of the cab was plus to plug into for each system.  Kinda like an operators switch board.  Annoying, but it worked.

3dmacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 01:46:59 pm »
The cp has a cord with a plug dangling underneith.  Then on the front of the cab was plus to plug into for each system.  Kinda like an operators switch board.  Annoying, but it worked.
Yuch! :P I'm not much of a carpenter, electrician so on and so forth but I'd prefer to keep all the cords in the cabinet. Is there a difference in frequency or voltage that would  make  wiring to a distribution block impossible?  I dunno maybe daisy chain the wires to the block then to the key encoder (have'nt bought one yet, still saving up for buttons,computer parts). Just theorizing since I don't really have any equipment except the pads. ;D

Hoagie_one

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 12:36:28 pm
  • Um....whats a cabinet
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 02:13:55 pm »

3dmacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 02:54:40 pm »
Pretty neat! ;D But I don't have an N64, just ps1, nes, snes.  I am a gamer, but don't feel like buying another system.  Rather buy more games. ;D  That and this cab is going the cheap route. Only paid $25 for the empty cab, free computer minus parts.etc. ;D

tmasman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2024, 03:50:44 pm
  • Hello...
    • My (no so up to date) Home
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 03:02:50 pm »
I know people were having problems with hooking up a hacked Dreramcast controller and an IPAC to the controls at the same time. (Problems with voltage, etc...).  They were able to get around this with diods wired in-line on the DC controller wires though.  eh...

That's why I'm trying to find alternatives as well...

Oh yeah,
One of those game system switching boxes would work great for the audio/video... I hadn't even though of one of those yet... hmm... Another idea to throw on the fire...
I'm not a freak!...
Oh wait...
Yes I am...

meta87

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2004, 07:36:28 pm
  • Dont Mess with Texas
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2003, 04:49:09 pm »
I don't understand, why not just use an emulator? You won't be able to tell a difference on screen, and no wiring or having to switch out cartridges.

I'd sell the consoles on ebay and use the money to make a nicer cabinet. :)

3dmacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2003, 05:15:48 pm »
Because emulation isn't the same thing as the real consoles.  ;D I'm a nostagic kind of guy and like the game systems. No way I'm going to sell my stuff!!! The last time I did that I regretted it, (atari 2600 jr. and various cartridges) Don't get me wrong I like console emulation, just like to use the real thing.  Besides, keeps hard drive a little clean all those roms, mp3s etc. ;D ;)

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2003, 06:27:36 pm »
You're insane  ;)

Keep your systems then and put them behind glass in your living room.  Use an emulator for your cabinet.  Do you remember having to open up an arcade cabinet to switch games in the arcade?  What about ruining that nastolgia?  With an emulator and front end you can fire up whichever system you want and select between hundreds of games all on-screen.  Not to mention the many, perhaps dozens of hours you will save by not figuring out and implementing a wiring solution for all those systems.  Just think of all the times you are going to bump your head while bent over inside your cabinet blowing in your NES cartridges and using the reset trick in an attempt to get them to work.

If you continue down this path you'd better hope that you are allowed to bring large personal items into the mental hospital because somebody is going to have to have you commited.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:42:41 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2003, 07:07:57 pm »
You're insane  ;)

Keep your systems then and put them behind glass in your living room.  Use an emulator for your cabinet.  Do you remember having to open up an arcade cabinet to switch games in the arcade?  What about ruining that nastolgia?  With an emulator and front end you can fire up whichever system you want and select between hundreds of games all on-screen.  Not to mention the many, perhaps dozens of hours you will save by not figuring out and implementing a wiring solution for all those systems.  Just think of all the times you are going to bump your head while bent over inside your cabinet blowing in your NES cartridges and using the reset trick in an attempt to get them to work.

If you continue down this path you'd better hope that you are allowed to bring large personal items into the mental hospital because somebody is going to have to have you commited.

Well console games are meant to be played on a CONSOLE  not on an arcade cabinet.  So there is 0 nostalga involved as you are playing arcade ports at best.  Also acrade controls are not well suited for console games.  You could get away with it on the nes, but that's about it.  

Also console emulation sucks, to put it blunty.  Really old systems like the 2600 and nes emulate well but anything newer is still very much incomplete.  The snes's fx chip has still yet to emulated and just forget about the psone.  It has about a 50/50 success rate.

In addition, the average arcade game lasts about 5-25 min at the most.  The average console game can last hours.  What difference does that make?  Well when you normally play a console game you are relaxing in a chair or on a couch sitting several feet from the tv, with your arms comfortably in your lap, only moving your thumbs.  Now you going to take that same several hours standing up (or in an uncomfortable stool)  with your arms at your waist, only about a foot from the monitor, moving both hands in much broader a fashion.  

In other words, it will get real old real fast.  

Also don't forget that virtually every arcade game on the psx is now emulated.  

Wiring wouldn't be much of an issue, but imo it's just a bad idea to start off with.  

scott315

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2003, 12:44:39 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2003, 01:07:52 am »
Here is what i'm doing with my cab... i plan on using mamewah and emulators for the nes and snes because i grew up with them... so i figured that it would be nice to have the actual controllers to play with... so, i plan to have a little hidden door in the front of my control deck that once opened revels inputs for the nintendo and snes... then i can just plug my controllers into those inputs and play (i would have already configured the emulators to use the specific controlers obviously). now, to do this, i plan on making an adapter such as this http://snespad.emulationworld.com/adapter_sales/ for the snes and nes. nothing too fancy i'll admit, but if it works, it works. this little adapter will be hidden away inside the control deck, and then two spliced and shortened extension cables will go from it to the hidden compartment, where they will be mounted as they are on the actual console, so that all you see is the input itself.

3dmacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2003, 10:12:25 am »
Well console games are meant to be played on a CONSOLE  not on an arcade cabinet.  So there is 0 nostalga involved as you are playing arcade ports at best.
The nostaliga is not where I am playing it, it is just playing it. As far as nostalgia is concerned why even have a mame cabinet, just go out and buy an original cabinet.  But I remember that I am poor and  and arcade cabinet is something I always wanted.
In addition, the average arcade game lasts about 5-25 min at the most.
Only if you suck at it!
Howard you seem very angry, been playing quake too much?

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2003, 11:06:18 am »
quote]
Howard you seem very angry, been playing quake too much?
HC always seems that way.  You'll get used to it.  Or not.

I agree with HC's comments in this thread, though.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.