Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help me identify this monitor  (Read 1233 times)

raungst

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2016, 03:05:40 pm
Help me identify this monitor
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:41:52 pm »
I'm new to all of this and am still in the planning stages of my cab, but I picked up this arcade monitor for free on craigslist. I wasn't quite ready for the monitor but couldn't passed up free, so I haven't had a chance to study up yet. My question is: what do I have? All I know is that its a 32" monitor out of a Cruisin' Exotica. Will this work for a MAME cabinet. I'm planning on either using Soft15KHz or getting an arcadeVGA, but I'm not even sure where I would hook up to. I'm assuming I need something like Ultimarc's VGA breakout cable, but where do I hook it up to?

Does everything look ok with the monitor? I'm not sure what I should be looking for, or how I can test if it works. It also cable with a cable, but I'm not sure what the cable is for - it seems to only have one free end.

Thanks for any and all advice. I look forward to the journey of getting this working.

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
Re: Help me identify this monitor
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 12:11:48 am »
You have a bare tube with yoke.  Won't do much without a monitor boardset (chassis + matched neckboard).

If that came from a Crusin', it was probably a medium res monitor.  It's possible that the yoke may be compatible with some standard res boards if you find one, but then it may not even be suitable for that.

If you want to make that work, you'll need to measure the properties of the yoke: horizontal + vertical inductance or just resistance will work in a pinch then find a compatible chassis replacement.  You can get used ones pulled from monitors with bad tubes (assuming this tube is good, here) or you can buy a new replacement from places such as Wei-Ya.

raungst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 12:59:17 am »
Is this something worth pursuing then? For someone who certainly isn't an electrician but is willing to learn, is this worth it? Will the missing pieces cost as much as just finding a different monitor?

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:08:47 am »
The missing pieces will cost less than a new, complete monitor, but chances are you can find another used monitor complete for about the same cost or comparable if you keep looking.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 01:42:25 am »
You don't even have a frame to mount everything.

raungst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:09:16 am »
Thanks for all the comments. I'll probably end seeing if someone else can use this, and will probably end up de-casing a TV, even though that scares the crap out of me.