Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Atari Gauntlet / Vindicators II Possible resto?  (Read 2764 times)

Les73gTx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2015, 11:02:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Atari Gauntlet / Vindicators II Possible resto?
« on: September 20, 2014, 10:10:58 pm »
I was given this today from my Brother-in-law who was tired of moving it around .... I think it is good enough shape to restore but I am not finding a whole lot of info on the manuals or game in general. I found this site and info http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10320

So does that mean it is rare enough to be a problem trying to restore or is it worth anything? I have some pictures that I took I will put in my DB and link here. ... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e8di9kz841y4ecx/AABWtnyn1eOYjFsrYWUgfIQta?dl=0

I am just starting my first - build from scratch - 2 player MAME cabinet. That is how the subject got into a conversation that ended up with me owning this game today. I have also built a VP 3 Screen Cabinet 46"-32"-19" with full toys, I finished that a couple months ago after starting it almost a year ago. My wife and I play it every night and that prompted the MAME cabinet build (her Idea)  ;D

The VP Pincab Called Atomic Pincab can be seen here ... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qyyzgwew645n89p/AAC9st3psPwWiLBwHYkKOhc8a?dl=0

Any info or links or pointing in the right direction would be very cool .... Thank you

Edit ... I should add that the game was functional until he plugged it in to show me that it worked .... there was a slight buzz and a faint smell of burning electrical ... now there is nothing going on onscreen but there is a humm from the transformer and the red light is on on the Board ... the speakers are also getting power as they make a slight pop when turning it on or off .... all fusses look to be good.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:16:24 pm by Les73gTx »

Les73gTx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2015, 11:02:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Atari Gauntlet / Vindicators II Possible resto?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:26:52 am »
 After looking it over and reading some more info found online I have decided to restore it back to a Gauntlet. I really like that game and I do play it often on my computer and in the arcade when I can find them.
 The wood will not be an issue as I am good with fiberglass and filler both, sanding and painting no sweat. The side art will be a little hard to find but I did find the CP artwork on eBay.
 The Vindicators Part II CP is in Great shape, and with a little cleaning, painting of the base and handles and new T-molding should be looking new, I wonder if there is any interest in that CP so I could offset some of the rebuild cost? The main board for Vindicators I think would be worth something too, there were only 400 or so made and only as kits to my understanding. I tried that game in MAME and without the controls mapped correctly it was impossible to play after a remapping it was better but just not a game I care for, not compared to Gauntlet anyways.

I did some more trouble shooting and I think the monitor is gone .... the melted plastic trim and black side on the tube tells me there was something not happy there already ... I have a couple of 19" LCD monitors and a 23" widescreen LCD that I was thinking about putting in with this unit I found on eBay ...http://www.ebay.com/itm/371083871583?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Anyone have any thoughts?  ... 50 views and no replies ... someone has an opinion or some wisdom for me I hope.

Thanks for reading

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 09:13:36 am »
I recently got one of those converter boards for my Galaxian restoration project. My Wells garner 19K4500 was failing, and I replaced it with a Hans G 4:3 19" LCD using that. I have really enjoyed it! Just make sure that you get the one with the spikey looking heat sink as its the newer better model.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 09:34:30 am »
I recently got one of those converter boards for my Galaxian restoration project. My Wells garner 19K4500 was failing, and I replaced it with a Hans G 4:3 19" LCD using that. I have really enjoyed it! Just make sure that you get the one with the spikey looking heat sink as its the newer better model.
Do you have the model number for that unit?

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 10:26:55 am »
No, I can check when I get home though.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 08:12:06 am »
Do you have the model number for that unit?

It's GBS-8220 V3.0