Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hi Score Comp #31: Twin Cobra *With GGG Premium Spinner Knob as prize*  (Read 14220 times)

Ryglore

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: Hi Score Comp #31: Twin Cobra *With GGG Premium Spinner Knob as prize*
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2009, 09:28:17 pm »
ha, I'm out on this one... cant get over 125k to save my life... :dizzy:

ArcadeNerd

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2021, 10:16:00 am
  • When's it my frickin turn to play?!?
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2009, 05:44:31 pm »
Wow, had to dust off the 'ol machine for this one.  This is my favorite game of all time and the first machine I ever purchased.  I was pretty rusty but it's just like falling off a bike.  Man this game can be aggrevating.  Never quite found the groove but pretty acceptable.  690960, 731470, and 732260.  I'll see if I can do any better after my arm stops spasming.

CrazyKongFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 01:22:29 pm
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 12:08:35 am »
Oh, BTW, the TG (and supposed default) settings are to get a free guy @ 100k, not 50k & then every 150k.  So we're on an easier settings, and high scores are still in the millions!  =O

Hmm, I selected the settings from the TG website for the romset? Strange...

The link jasonbar posted was for the arcade track. Apparently they don't have the arcade and MAME on the same settings.

Dang... sacrilege to box up a Black Tiger cabinet for golf simulators  :angry:

*If* its out I hope you play a loooong game on one token ;)

Yeah, if it's out, I'm definitely gonna try a game or two. I hope to be there sometime on Sunday evening.

DrFrag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2011, 10:14:47 am
    • MAME Cab Worklog
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2009, 02:39:00 am »
320K on my first attempt.  I'll try again when my hands have recovered.  :dizzy:

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2009, 07:52:36 pm »
I haven't had any hand issues. You have to be relaxed. I don't know as I'm game for any more on this, though. I'm getting a litte burned out on it, and lately am dying on the first boss. Blech.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2009, 10:05:01 pm »
Yeah, I'm done on this game. You just can't die or you're ---smurfing--- hosed.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

ArcadeNerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2009, 10:44:24 pm »
Yeah, I find it actually takes 2 crazy games to get a good score.  First you have to get as far as youo can on your first life.  Then.....you have to play like a maniac without being able to get much for firepower for the remainder.  That's why Twin Cobra is one of my favorite shmups, most others will let you get upgraded again fairly quickly in later levels and takes out that frantic attempt to stay alive on base shot.

Jack Burton

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2009, 12:19:37 am »
So is the 1up in the second level random, or do you have to meet a requirement?

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2009, 02:50:57 am »
I've been playing a bunch & have trouble getting through the 1st 2 bosses without dying.  The 3 darn medium-sized airplanes are what usually do me in--they're far too tough.

I've had only a few runs where I got through the 1st 2 bosses w/out dying--then I often choke & don't do too well after that...

I've found that the 1UP appears in the short sideways ship on my perfect runs but not on my imperfect runs, so there's some trigger in there somewhere that affects it...

Thanks,
-Jason

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 09:40:33 am »
Dang... sacrilege to box up a Black Tiger cabinet for golf simulators  :angry:

*If* its out I hope you play a loooong game on one token ;)

They Black Tiger is out with the regular games, but unfortunately the joystick was horrible (especially going up) so I didn't get very far. Gonna see if I can them to look at it. I did take a pic or two of the cab, but I'll probably have to wait until I get home to post a pic. I'm not sure what kind of cab its in though.

ArcadeNerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2009, 10:47:24 am »
I think the 1up is related to how many p's you collect since it is always at one of the p collecting spots.  I always find it in the same spot as jason.  There is also another one on one of the cranes in the 3rd level if you can last that long.  i alomost always die at 2 spots in level three.  One is where 2 small tanks come up from the bottom left and there is a heavy plane over there as well (tough to get to the tanks while getting shot at from behind).  And the second is where a slew of tanks come from both the left and right side of the screen toward the very end of the level at the last parked ship on the right.  Many colorful words said at those 2 wonderful spots.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2009, 01:47:57 pm »
They Black Tiger is out with the regular games, but unfortunately the joystick was horrible (especially going up) so I didn't get very far. Gonna see if I can them to look at it. I did take a pic or two of the cab, but I'll probably have to wait until I get home to post a pic. I'm not sure what kind of cab its in though.

Sucks about the joystick :(

Hopefully they fix that ASAP. As for the pics...can't wait.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

mrclean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2009, 10:45:00 pm »
Put that spinner top from GGG to use in the next contest.. it should be a spinner game! perhaps arkanoid / arkanoid tournament / gigas / free kick / goindol etc..
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2009, 11:30:06 pm »
The Black Tiger is out with the regular games, but unfortunately the joystick was horrible (especially going up) so I didn't get very far. Gonna see if I can them to look at it. I did take a pic or two of the cab, but I'll probably have to wait until I get home to post a pic. I'm not sure what kind of cab its in though.

Sucks about the joystick :(

Hopefully they fix that ASAP. As for the pics...can't wait.

Got them to look at it today, they replaced 2 of the microswitches. It's not perfect, but I was able to manage getting to level 7 with about 855K ;D I think it's set harder than default, as almost everything was in it that's in Black Dragon. I noticed a couple of the spinning discs were gone, and those guys that appear on level 4 that make the 4 fire columns come out if you don't shoot them only came out 1 at a time, and the prices were alot cheaper, but just about everything else was the same. I also figured out what cab it's in...a Paperboy!

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 11:39:47 pm »
Got them to look at it today, they replaced 2 of the microswitches. It's not perfect, but I was able to manage getting to level 7 with about 855K  I think it's set harder than default, as almost everything was in it that's in Black Dragon. I noticed a couple of the spinning discs were gone, and those guys that appear on level 4 that make the 4 fire columns come out if you don't shoot them only came out 1 at a time, and the prices were alot cheaper, but just about everything else was the same. I also figured out what cab it's in...a Paperboy!

Man, do you have any idea how envious I am of you right now?!  I haven't played an actual standalone BT since 1990 :(  and you rocked the lvl 7 nice!  :cheers:

Lol, i bet they mumbled under their breath when they were swapping the microswitches and set it to difficult hehe.

Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2009, 12:08:35 am »
<blinks> Um, is this a Black Tiger thread?

Yeah, I find it actually takes 2 crazy games to get a good score.  First you have to get as far as youo can on your first life.  Then.....you have to play like a maniac without being able to get much for firepower for the remainder.  That's why Twin Cobra is one of my favorite shmups, most others will let you get upgraded again fairly quickly in later levels and takes out that frantic attempt to stay alive on base shot.

That's why it pisses me off. It becomes more work than play.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2009, 10:25:58 am »
<blinks> Um, is this a Black Tiger thread?

Heh, no, but since he asked about it in this thread, I kept up the conversation here rather than having part of it here and part in the other thread (of course, if a mod wanted to move the Black Tiger stuff, that'd be ok too)

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2009, 10:47:37 am »
Sorry about that guys...I got carried away with the Funspot getaway! ;)

Back to Twin Cobra...tough game if you die but I love the catchy opening tune.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

ArcadeNerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2009, 09:42:19 pm »
Couple more grind sessions here.  These'll be my last before the end time due to stupid work.

and

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2009, 03:09:08 am »
Well, I went for a run......was doing really good, till I got pinned down at the second boss. I tell ya, collision detection is weighted against the player. But they were a lot that way in the late 80s. Any decent golden age game, and I would've dodged the rounds. Didn't beat my high score, either, but got up there some.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2009, 11:16:08 am »
I've had a few more decent runs, but I haven't been able to top my score.  I still maintain that I do better *without* knowing the patterns & what to expect... :dunno

I'm leaving town for the next couple of days.  Everybody make sure to not beat my 2nd place score in the meantime,  OK?   ;)  Thanks!

-Jason

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2009, 04:28:56 pm »
Grats on 1st and the prize ArcadeNerd...I pm'd you for the shipping details, so let me know :)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2009, 07:55:26 pm »
Crap! I'm stuck in DOS-setup-hell over here, didn't get a chance to have Twin Cobra running on my machine yet!  :angry:
Hoping to be in on the next one...

Congrats ArcadeNerd! Nice score!  :applaud:

Hopefully the next one will be another vertical game. I'm almost done!

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2009, 09:08:14 pm »
One last Black Tiger post, since the rest of my Funspot trip/question about the Black Tiger cab they had was in this thread. Here's a pic of their Black Tiger cab, and the type of cab it was converted from, Paperboy (which they also have)

ArcadeNerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2009, 09:44:37 pm »
Thanks for the congrats on the score.  I would have loved to pick another vertical shooter since they are my favorite but I thought 2 shmups in a row may be too many.  Tetris was always a favorite of mine so I picked that.  For some reason I had a hard time picking a game since Twin Cobra was my favorite and I usually just played beat 'em ups with my friends back in the day and I don't think they'd make for a good competition type game.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2009, 10:31:59 pm »
One last Black Tiger post, since the rest of my Funspot trip/question about the Black Tiger cab they had was in this thread. Here's a pic of their Black Tiger cab, and the type of cab it was converted from, Paperboy (which they also have)

Awesome CrazyKongFan, thanks much!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2009, 12:58:04 am »
Thanks for the congrats on the score.  I would have loved to pick another vertical shooter since they are my favorite but I thought 2 shmups in a row may be too many.  Tetris was always a favorite of mine so I picked that.  For some reason I had a hard time picking a game since Twin Cobra was my favorite and I usually just played beat 'em ups with my friends back in the day and I don't think they'd make for a good competition type game.

Yeah, good idea with mixing it up. We still want to keep people interested in participating, and variety is the spice of life!

Re: Tetris -- Funny coincidence, I've been having a hard time getting the cocktail version of tetris running my cabinet. Well, truthfully I can't seem to find the files in my romset. But man it would be pretty awesome to play against the wife, head-to-head on a tabletop, not to mention at parties tetris is very accessible to my drunkard friends. This might help push me to spend more time hunting it down!

mrclean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2009, 07:07:52 pm »
bumping this twin cobra thread incase any one was interested in owning the actual PCB along with NOS Side art set, marquee, bezel, I have decided to sell some Twin Cobra parts on eBay..

Item number: 290375141161
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke