Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HELP !!! Ipac 2 wiring problems  (Read 2449 times)

Mr.Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2013, 09:28:37 pm
HELP !!! Ipac 2 wiring problems
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:02:02 pm »
I know that this subject has been discussed a million times before, but im pulling my hair out and really need some help, i will be grateful for anything !!

ok, so i have plugged my Ipac from the PC socket (PC) to the PC using a keyboard cable, im not using USB (Maybe this may solve the problem), and the Green light on the board shines solidly

Now, im just testing the set up at the moment, and have wired up a complete board with buttons and a joystick and nothing worked so i started again just with one button

so please correct me if im wrong, i ran a wire from the Ground to the microswitch, and a wire from 1player coin to the same microswitch, opened Word, hit the button and nothing. then i just ran a wire from Ground to any of the buttons....still nothing

What am i doing wrong ?? Hopefully it is an easy fix, and any help will be fantastic

Thanks in advance

Ian

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: HELP !!! Ipac 2 wiring problems
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:44:02 am »
Are you attaching them to correct places on the microswitch?

Mr.Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 02:01:31 pm »
Yeah, my microswitches only have 2 terminals, and i have tried them both ways with the same result

Im thinking that the PC is not picking up the IPAC due to being run via Keyboard connection, and have ordered a USB - PS2 converter and hopefully this may fix the problem.

Im running windows XP

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 02:29:55 pm »
Im thinking that the PC is not picking up the IPAC due to being run via Keyboard connection, and have ordered a USB - PS2 converter and hopefully this may fix the problem.

But it should work fine as a keyboard on any PC that has a PS/2 connection, so I doubt it's that.

Mr.Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:04:19 pm »
Could it be something to do with my logitec wireless keyboard and mouse?

I will try unplugging everything when i get home

Mr.Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:47:13 am »
Still no joy  :angry:

i may just wait till the USB - PS2 converter thing arrives, and fingers crossed that will fix the issue

if the board was faulty, would the green light still shine ??

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 05:53:42 pm »
Like most things, just because it turns on doesn't mean it works right.  I wouldn't assume that because it's getting power (green light) that it's functioning correctly.

Have you tested the PS2 port with a PS2 keyboard to be sure that it works??  That would eliminate one more possibility of a problem with the port itself (or possibly that it's disabled in BIOS or something silly).

If you validate that the port is working fine, then it may well be that the IPAC is malfunctioning.
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

Mr.Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 03:57:29 am »
Ok, so im an idiot

Plug it in and reboot, im used to plug and play !!

Im real sorry to waste everyones time. But appreciate everyones replys

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 08:19:14 am »
Ok, so im an idiot

Plug it in and reboot, im used to plug and play !!

Im real sorry to waste everyones time. But appreciate everyones replys

I was going to suggest this, but was giving you the benefit of the doubt. I figured it didn't even need mentioning. Glad you got it working, though. :D