Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Rowe Ami help topic  (Read 30781 times)

ami-man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
Re: New Rowe Ami help topic
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2010, 10:32:07 am »
Hello,

I am on holiday until 17th of November, I am sure Ken will advise you all with regards to Rowe Ami problems.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Skeptic73

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2011, 12:50:50 pm
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2010, 01:19:06 pm »
I finally got my replacement Transistors for my 250 Watt amp in my CD100I. I made the switch and the left channel sounds worse than before. There's a hum every five seconds or so and a lot of other interference. I just hooked up my internal speakers both to the right channel. I will leave off any externals until I can buy another amp. So sad, I thought she was going to get her fix.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2010, 10:18:52 pm »
And you put the correct transistors in the correct locations? You did install a fresh mica insulator as well as coat both sides of the insulator with silicone heat sink grease?

You tested the transistors on both driver boards too? Checked the large resistors on the driver boards for any open ones? Replaced the fuses on the driver boards?

Skeptic73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2010, 08:00:56 am »
They didn't come with insulators? The ones I removed from the amp didn't have insulators on them either? Could that be my issue? Will the transistor short out if it makes contact with the heat sink? Will I need to replace them again now?
There is something I need to look at again though. There's a small connector that I couldn't see a place for. It comes off the back side of one of the amps plugs next to the driver boards.. Not sure where that connects to.  I took the thing apart over a month ago. I should've taken pictures. Damn slow boat from China. I saw an amp for sale on ebay last night. I really don't have the money to spend since I've been out of work for over six months. I did notice in one of the photos the wires path seems to go straight over to the right. I'll look at it again today.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:45:08 am by Skeptic73 »

Skeptic73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2010, 10:55:52 am »
I found where the loose wire went. I do have power on that channel which was previously out. My fuses aren't blowing anymore. I'll assume the transistors were the solution. I do have interference in that channel though. I will have to find a pair of insulators. I found one laying around but I replaced the pair of transistors for the channel so I don't know which or if both could be my problem. Can anyone recommend a place to find these other than China I don't want to wait another month.

Skeptic73

• Offline Offline
Re: New Rowe Ami help topic Rowe 250 watt Amp
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2010, 02:16:27 pm »
I just found a pair of insulators and went to put them in and discovered the old ones were stuck on the heatsink. Anyway Im going to try her again.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:30:35 pm by Skeptic73 »

Skeptic73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2010, 02:40:54 pm »
Same deal, Distorted audio from left channel. :cry:

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2010, 09:13:20 pm »
Transistors available here:

http://www.cdadapter.com/repair.htm

Scroll down almost halfway on the page and you'll see them.

Skeptic73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2010, 06:15:14 am »
I replaced the bottom pair for my left channel which were blown. Is that link you posted suggesting changing both pairs? Or is it saying the two in the pair? I did order extra so I guess changing the other pair wouldn't hurt.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2010, 11:29:01 am »
I only change the pair that are blown.

After changing the output transistors, did you also perform the "bias adjustment" on the driver board?

Skeptic73

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2010, 03:32:55 pm »
Nope, How do you do that?

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2010, 09:50:38 pm »
Bias adjustment is in the manuals.

liverol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2010, 06:12:17 am
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2010, 05:17:11 pm »
hi just wondered if you could help me, i have bought a jukebox but it didnt have a needle in it so i have bought another one which fitted into the cartridge but when i play the records (45rpm) it sounds as though they are playing slightly slower than they should (though it is spinning at 45rpm), i believe that the cartridge is not the original one which was in the jukebox. so my question is, does it matter what needle you put in or are there different needles to play 45's, 33's & 78's? are info would be gratefully received as the jukebox is a xmas present for my dad & im trying to get it up & running in time many thanks graham

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:36:40 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2010, 05:58:24 pm »
unless the cartridge is exceptionally heavy, i wouldn't think it's the issue. your arm should basically float with a minimum of weight pushing the needle down.

your drive motor for the turntable might be getting wore out. also check the voltage going to the motor, if it's low you might have a bad connector somewhere along the line. try giving the plugs a little wiggle. might clear you right up.

liverol

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2010, 01:19:50 pm »
hi ive found out it originally had a shure m44 cartridge & stylus when new, im not sure what cartridge it has in it now but the stylus i bought to go in it is Coner RCS R608 Stylus (324). Somebody else has said that just because the stylus fits the cartridge it still may not be the correct one for that cartridge. Do you think that if i bought a different cartridge & stylus together that it would correct the problem? & would it have to be a shure or would say a technics cartridge & needle work ok? the juke box is a rowe ami cadette mm-1, also another question, is it possible to set it to free play or do i need to just keep clicking the credits on manually, so for the questions but i feel ive been screwed over as i paid £400 for it & im getting a little stressed about getting it working before xmas to give to my dad, thanks for any help kind regards graham

roberts123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2014, 07:18:01 pm
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2010, 10:22:35 pm »
Hello everybody, quick question on some spare parts and a little problem on my Ami Rowe R-81. First is I need to find a needle for the jukebox. I don't know any places around. I live in London, Ohio, USA. and second my volume is either off or turns up too loud for my liking and don't know how to fix it thank you for the help.

liverol

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2010, 12:59:31 pm »
have you looked on ebay? this person seems to have various stylus for jukeboxes....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STYLUS-Elac-DM2-AMI-juke-jukebox-NEEDLE-Rowe-AMI-Conti-/280604360094?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item415552bd9e

hope it helps regards graham

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2010, 02:18:30 pm »
my volume is either off or turns up too loud for my liking and don't know how to fix it thank you for the help.

sounds like the volume potentiometer has been changed with a wrong one, or the one you have is wore out.

your looking for a 10k LOGARITHMIC potentiometer not a LINEAR, you need one especially for audio to replace it. a normal "pot" will do nothing, nothing, nothing, then BAM! it's super loud. Were a proper "log" pot will start out quiet and gradually get louder until the end.

roberts123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2010, 09:25:40 pm »
Not to sure about this but figured I would ask about it before i go and buy a new potentiometer which i was able to find the one in Columbus. But the potentiometer has three little progs sticking out the side of it but i only have two wires hooked up to it. Could this be causing the problem with the volume. Thank you for your help.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2010, 11:41:29 pm »
no that's correct, you should only be using the middle and one of the outside prongs.

the difference is in the layer of resistance material around the rotation.

this little page should let you know... give the section on "taper" a read, it explains my earlier post. I'm thinking you have the wrong type.
http://www.bcae1.com/potentio.htm

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2010, 06:53:13 am »
Hello,

With regards to the Rowe Ami R-81 yes the volume control to use is a 10k log pot but with regards to wiring it depends on what pre amplifier is used in the amplifier.

Two pre amp boards can be fitted, these are R-3788 and R-3805.

The R-3788 board is the standard board and the control for this is a single 10k log pot.
The R-3805 board is a split chanel board that requires a double 10k log pot, this pre amplifier therefore uses a five wire screened cable and all six connection are used on the control.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

roberts123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2010, 12:16:46 pm »
my volume is either off or turns up too loud for my liking and don't know how to fix it thank you for the help.

sounds like the volume potentiometer has been changed with a wrong one, or the one you have is wore out.

your looking for a 10k LOGARITHMIC potentiometer not a LINEAR, you need one especially for audio to replace it. a normal "pot" will do nothing, nothing, nothing, then BAM! it's super loud. Were a proper "log" pot will start out quiet and gradually get louder until the end.

Got the new logarithmic potentiometer today and put it on. No it sounds amazing I can keep it quiet but when I need to it can rock out. Thank you for the help sounds really nice now. :cheers:

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2010, 02:07:32 pm »
**double thumbs up**

roberts123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2010, 12:11:02 am »
I have a Rowe R-81 and I was wondering if it would be possible to add more speakers to it. I have the 4 speakers in it now (two 6x9 and two Subs) but I was thinking about aadding more speakers to put them in the upstairs it is loud enough so i can here it all through out my basement but I use sound up stairs. I was wondering if it would be able to add more speakers so i get all-round sound in the house. Thank you for any help.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2011, 08:06:17 am »
Hello,

Yes you can add more speakers to the jukebox, If your amplifier is the original 64 watt 602-02179 (can be marked just 2179A), back in the days when we had jukeboxes on site I have connected several 30 watt speakers to this amplifier. The connections have to be correct so that the output is never under 4 ohms per channel.

Also if you are connecting more speakers drop the phono speakers downa tapping or two to prevent overload and to balance the overall sound.

Bye the way the jukebox is looking great with all the labelling etc.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

langleybea

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2011, 04:45:31 pm
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2011, 08:08:03 am »
Hi Alan i``me still after help with my romantica R1 I have replaced the arm that would not track across the disc it is working fine in that regard,but now it is not picking up at the end of play i must have disturbed something else. can you help,thanks Norman.UK manchester.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2011, 07:45:24 am »
Hi Norman,

I suggest you email me or give me a call, if the jukebox is a Romantica then it is a RI-5 not a RI-1.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
0114 247 0242 phone
alan-hood@datex.co.uk

Jason.M

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 27, 2012, 12:40:31 am
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:20 am »
This is a cross post from the Jukebox-List, but because it's moderated, i'm not sure when that one will be posted.  In the mean time, I thought I'd ask here.

I have recently purchased a 1967 AMI MM1 from an individual that said it's been in his dad's game room since before he was born (30+ years I'm guessing).  He told me that it hadn't been played in 5 years due to his father taking out the needle cartridge in hopes of finding a new one.  I paid $280 for it, but that's after I talked him down from $400.  If it wasn't a good deal, don't tell my wife.

Here's picture of it.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IEdukMNhJA99lrEq8qZPxw?feat=directlink

The juke looks unmolested but it is in need of some adjustment and lubrication.  I have the maintenance manual for it, but before I dive in knee deep in gears, I wanted to check with the expert community to make sure I don't cause more problems as I try to fix the current one's I have.  I am mechanically inclined, but I don't have a lot of experience on the electrical side.  This is my first jukebox so a lot of the concepts and terminology I've reviewed in the manual are new to me but sinking in.

Because there is no needle, I haven't been able to listen to this Juke yet (Shure 44 cartridge is on order), but I have pin-pointed a few items that will need to be fixed outside of that. 

When I first powered this unit on and made a selection it dropped some records, the transfer arm was not moving in sync with the pins and it seemed sluggish. I've posed a video of one of the first issues I saw.  However, it doesn't seem to be doing what you see in this video anymore.

Now the pins seem to be getting out of the arms way, but it only plays one side of the record, regardless of the selection.  Additionally, the record it pulls doesn't match the selection made (it grabs the record to the right of what it should).  And lastly, this unit fails to grip the record after the record is played.  The top of the arm slips over the record and the record stays on the deck (as you can see in this video).

The manual describes the adjustment points pretty well, but I haven't yet figured out how much disassembly is required to properly access each of the areas required to adjust/align.  I've also seen the lubrication points in the manual, it calls for "light machine oil" and "silicone grease" but I'm unsure on what brand/type I can use from my local stores.  I've read all about how not to use WD40 in many posts on the internet. 

In all, I think that these problems are isolated to one section and everything else seems to be functioning as expecting.  Multiple selections are stored and recalled correctly (not accounting for the alignment issue above), the amp turns on and off with the record drop and all the lights work.  We can talk again once I get the needle installed. 

Thanks for any help provided,
Jason M.
Austin, Tx.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2011, 09:49:20 am »
Hi Jason,

The 1967 Rowe Ami MM-1 (Music Merchant) looks tidy but someone has removed the two sheets out of the front of the jukebox.
These sheets were made of a clear plastic with one sheet that had the colours of the scene and a front sheet that had the black outline of the scene.
These scenes were called the "Change-A-Scene" there were three in total, these were a picture of New York showing the bridge, a fairground and Musical Instruments and Musicians. The panel then had a clear front glass.

With regards to the issues you are having as per your video clips would indicate that there is an issue with the gripper bow. Check out your manual on how to remove this and strip it down completley and wash it in soapy water. check all the parts for wear and replace the trunion and cam gear if they show any signs of wear.
Rebuild all the parts after drying them and place high melting point grease in the two sockets at each end of the trunion (this is the alloy casting that the gripper bow goes through) DO NOT USE ANY OTHER LUBRICATION!

While you have the gripper bow off check that the adjustments for the Tone Arm Cam and the Gear, Trunion and Cam Drive  (part number 400-05014) is adjusted correctly.
Replace the Gripper bow assembly and recheck the operation of the transfer.
The only place that lubrication is required is to the idler wheel linkage, turntable shaft and the turntable motor. All that is required is one drop of oil per location. I would first wash all these parts in soapy water (other than the motor which is best stripped down and cleaned to remove old oil build up)
Please let us know how you get on.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Skeptic73

• Offline Offline
New Rowe Ami help topic
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2011, 09:59:30 am »
     I have a few questions about biasing my amp. It's a 250 watt in my Rowe cd 100 i Saturn. I replaced the transistors on the right channel about a year ago. I think Ken replied somewhere along that biasing was in the manuals. I searched for a post or more specific instructions and couldn't come up with anything. I would love to have this thing working 100% again. Can someone give me detailed instructions to get me started or point out to me exactly where in my set of manuals biasing is covered. The ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- is Greek to me.
      Also I have three of those preamp kits for my jukebox. Will they take any RCA input source. I was either thinking of mounting one of my iPods to the front or using my airport express adapter and installing it in the jukebox to get the jukebox on my network to stream iTunes. The airport express has a mini to RCA output and I currently have it streaming to the input on a receiver in my garage.
      I have some parts for Rowe CD 100 on ebay currently if anyone is looking.    http://www.ebay.com/sch/1stellarseller22/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686] [url]http://www.ebay.com/sch/1stellarseller22/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686[/url]