Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project Blunt-Mame  (Read 3605 times)

Bluntman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2006, 04:50:13 am
  • RTFM, failing that, kick it.
    • Bluntmation
Project Blunt-Mame
« on: August 04, 2003, 03:54:28 am »
Okay, so Project Blunt-Mame has reached the point where my cab is fully functional, and all I have left (for now ;)) is some cosmetics, and most importantly, the bezel to hide the TV I've used... but I can't wait any longer to post some pics for your reactions, as I mentined the cab is fully functional now, and playtime seems to be over-rulling my urge to pretty it up more.

just this weekend gone, Blunt-Mame had undergone the ultimate test, a gathering at my place to celebrate my recent 25th Birthday, my estimates and educated guesses about how big and at what angles the 4-player CP should be were spot on, I was overjoyed as four of us were comfortably gathered around it playing TMNT right through...

much alcohol was consumed (and I mean MUCH) and we we're all still able to opperate and enjoy the cab, and I stood tall as I OWNED everyone at X-men v's Streetfighter, even in my "charming" state  ;D )
there is still a stability issue to work out, as it would occasionally freeze... but a slap of the hidden reset switch put that right.

The marquee you see in this pic is just a temporary solution (didn't wan't a blank hole for the unveiling at the party) looks nice nonetheless even for a few pices of plain paper taped together.

I didn't use T-moulding (it's hard to come by in Tasmania... instead I used this chrome pinstriping stuff I found at autobarn (aussies will know that store, not sure about the rest of you) it looks BOSS against the gloss black painjob - painted with a slight texture from a "mid-fuzzyness" roller.
the CP has a hammered metal grey finish.

I BELIEVE I'm one of the only people to use the "podium" style CP, (can't recall seeing many around here) the whole Cab is self designed from the ground up, I'm sure many of you may see influences from many commertal, and home job cabs, please point them out to me because it was all subconcous, and I'd love to find out ;)
As I sketched it for the first time (at work teehee) it sorta just grew from my pen organically, not alot of "hard thought" went into it the first time... the cab looks pretty much exactly the same as my first rough design sketch, I loved it that much.

If anyone has questions, or would like a different POV shot, just ask, I'm excited and eager to hear what you guys think.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega.

Bluntman

• Offline Offline
    • Bluntmation
Re:Project Blunt-Mame
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 03:55:52 am »
The CP in closeup -

Bluntman

• Offline Offline
    • Bluntmation
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 04:18:48 am »
and my MameWah skin -

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 01:46:11 pm »
BLUNT MAME LOOKS GOOD !  :)
Wondering about the monitor though...
PC monitor  ???
« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 06:38:35 pm by SNAAAKE »

Apollo

• Yes You Can Have A Custom Title
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2021, 10:49:02 pm
    • Eight Bells
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 05:32:36 pm »
I concur, mucho congratulationado.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2021, 04:27:59 pm
  • HulkaMAMEia is runnin' wild!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 06:17:30 pm »
i agree, looks good...im going to be celebrating my 22nd bday onthe 30th, and my friends are coming over for MUCH alcohol comsumption as well ;D  good thing i have cup/can holders!  

one thing...can you take a closeup of the little button map card thingy above your cp?  id like to see what it looks like.  i thought about making one of these, but didnt know where to start and how to put it up.  you mind showing me a closeup of yours as well as any tips?  thanks....looks cool dude.  

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 08:25:39 pm »
Do you REALLY want to use a drug reference in naming your cabinet? Granted, maybe none of your buddies care, but eventually it is going to end up shooting you in the foot (family member visits, girlfriend's parents, etc).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

traknfieldSUPAstar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2011, 07:34:52 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 09:31:18 pm »
Do you REALLY want to use a drug reference in naming your cabinet? Granted, maybe none of your buddies care, but eventually it is going to end up shooting you in the foot (family member visits, girlfriend's parents, etc).

are you sure that the word "blunt" is based off a drug term or the adjective/verb "blunt" - upfront/to be upfront, straightforward, etc... maybe bluntman is just refering to having a "straight-forward" mame machine?... so his machine might not have anything to do with the drug-term blunt... like smokin' a phatty blunt....

hehhe ... sorry...just ramblin on... please don't take offense to this post.... i'm takin a break from an online questionaire that is slowly liquifying my brain...   ;)

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 04:41:23 am »

are you sure that the word "blunt" is based off a drug term or the adjective/verb "blunt" - upfront/to be upfront, straightforward, etc... maybe bluntman is just refering to having a "straight-forward" mame machine?... so his machine might not have anything to do with the drug-term blunt... like smokin' a phatty blunt....

hehhe ... sorry...just ramblin on... please don't take offense to this post.... i'm takin a break from an online questionaire that is slowly liquifying my brain...   ;)

I agree it COULD be the other meaning. But every it never is. Bluntman is just about always a drug reference. The name was originally a drug powered comic book character (Bluntman & Chronic was the comic) in those Kevin Smith movies (Chasing Amy?).

Of course. Mine is similarly worse. I had been using "BooBooKitty" as my online name for 5 years, and then that movie came out where they said BooBooKittyF*ck, and then everyone thought the name came from there. Which is why I have used my real name on every forum I have joined since then.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 04:43:23 am by paigeoliver »
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Bluntman

• Offline Offline
    • Bluntmation
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 06:56:05 am »
hehe, the "Blunt" in both my net-nick and the machine CAN have that rather "dubious" connotation, but in my case it's more about me being, as traknfieldSUPAstar suggested, "Abrupt and often disconcertingly frank in speech" I tell it like it is...
I also LOOK very much like Kevin Smith/Bluntman, and LOVE his movies etc...

I do NOT personally indulge in, encourage nor endorse the smoking of "phatty boom-batty blunts", alcohol is my drug of choice, and I even game up the ciggies more than 18 months ago... so relax paigeoliver
, it's just a name...

It's also a play on BATMAN's (BLUNTMAN is a play on batman) prediliction toward naming his gadgets... Bat-errang, Bat-mobile, Batcomputer...
I've got a LOT of  "blunt-x" projects, my laptop "Blunt-top"  my main computer the "Blunt-Puter" etc... it's just a gag.

as for the "button map card thingy" Hulkster ... here ya go.... still a bit of a WIP though, but I HAD to get something up there for teh par-tay ;)

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 07:28:10 am »
I KNEW it had to be a Kevin Smith reference.

Well, if you aren't worried about it, then I'm not either.

Anyway, it isn't nearly as bad as the people who name themselves things like "BuDsMOker" and "Ninja-Bong" and things like that. That is an instant credibility loss with half the under 30 population, and most of the over 30 crowd.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2021, 04:27:59 pm
  • HulkaMAMEia is runnin' wild!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 10:57:45 am »
very nice bluntman....i might creat one...looks fairly simple.  what resolution did you make it at?  

and just a side note....when i said "button map card thingy"  ::)  what exactly is the official name for those things?  cp button diagram or something?  anyone know?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 12:54:17 pm by hulkster081 »