Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Got a Karate Champ today  (Read 2872 times)

ramsanus2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2011, 03:59:35 pm
Got a Karate Champ today
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:35:47 pm »
Picked up a beautiful Karate Champ Player vs. Player (no side art) today for $250.  Had to recruit the old man to help me pick it up with his truck.  This was my favorite game growing up.  Loving it.  Have played with friends for the last 3 hours.  Have to be up at 5:30am tomorrow ::) Gunna be a zombie tomorrow.  Oh well.  Point...Half point!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:19:47 am
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Got a Karate Champ today
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:39:05 pm »
FULL POINT!

I used to love that game, one of the first vidjeo games I remember seeing in a movie (Bloodsport)
be sure to post up pix
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

mj147

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 09:44:38 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 11:03:49 am »
Woot congrats  :applaud:

I picked up my KC  bout a month ago for 70 bucks..... its in rough cosmetic shape but playable,  the monitor works and the sticks are smooth  ;D

KC has always been one of my favorites.......enjoy

mj147

cw

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 08:42:20 pm
  • Game over man game over
    • The Cab
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 11:52:33 pm »
great game...

:applaud:

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 01:43:23 am »
I remember seeing this in a the mall arcade when it came out. Totally incomprehensible, control-wise, to me at the time, and a sure waste of quarters. Fun to watch the older, experienced kids, though.

(I still don't have the moves down, but have 'em written down for when I decide I'm interested again...which is perhaps semi-annually.)
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

MaximRecoil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 02:25:24 am »
I want a Karate Champ. It was the first arcade game I ever got good at (when I was 9 in '84), and I still remember all the joystick combinations for the moves.

These days though, I'd mostly have it for nostalgic purposes, because as far as gameplay goes, it is no SFII by any stretch of the imagination. You can beat all the levels the first time around with just one move (kneeling reverse punch for [usually] a full point).

Playing against a human opponent is more fun (with the VS. version), but even then, if you're both good at the game, most matches will be a standoff, with both players going on the defensive (because there is no way to initiate a strong offense in the game). Defensive play is inherently stronger than offensive play in this game due to the way it was designed. Because of this imbalance, the game designers had to make the computer opponent get faster rather than just playing better; in order to increase difficulty as you progress in the game. By the time you get back to level 1, the CPU opponent is practically sprinting across the screen; while your playable character still moves with the same lethargy as always.

SFII for example, is far more balanced in this respect.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:35:58 am by MaximRecoil »

Dexter

• Patriotism, the last refuge of the scoundrel. -- Irish, darnit!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2024, 04:36:19 pm
  • "MAKE POVERTY HISTORY......."
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 09:50:12 am »
Great great game, absolutely timeless. Well done on your acquisition.

Plays great in mame on a two player panel with remapped joysticks. One player only, of course, but still good fun.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 05:29:15 am »
This thread spurred me to go and play the game - and I got on the board for the first time ever. Wowzers. (Still don't have most of the moves down, though.)
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 11:11:55 am »
This thread spurred me to go and play the game - and I got on the board for the first time ever. Wowzers. (Still don't have most of the moves down, though.)

You only need one move, the kneeling reverse punch, and that will get you back to the first level at least, with good timing, and to maybe the 8th or 9th level with not-so-great timing.

To do this immediately kneel (left joystick down) when the fight starts and wait for the opponent to walk toward you. When he's close enough, do the reverse punch (keep left joystick down, press right joystick up). You'll either get a 400 point "half point" or an 800 point "full point" for it; usually a full point. It is kind of like the elbow smash in Double Dragon; you don't need anything else.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 01:24:23 pm »
Congrats!  Karate Champ was my favorite game in the arcade.

What's the distance between the center of the left players right joystick, and the center of the right players left joystick?

I want to design a control panel giving each player 6 buttons and two joysticks and Karate Champ is the main reason for the dual joysticks.

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 01:22:29 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 08:57:22 pm »
For the first 3 or 4 levels, I usually tumble jump (whatever it's called) over the opponent, then do a jumping back kick and kick him in the head. It works pretty well until the opponent really speeds up around level 5. Then I'm usually done :P

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 04:37:45 am »
For the first 3 or 4 levels, I usually tumble jump (whatever it's called) over the opponent, then do a jumping back kick and kick him in the head. It works pretty well until the opponent really speeds up around level 5. Then I'm usually done :P

Classic:

First:
Code: [Select]
  O   
  |   |
      O

And then:

—-O O-—

Or:
  O