Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Arcade Even A Wife Can Love (Back From The Dead!)  (Read 28624 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:39:33 am
Re: The Arcade Even A Wife Can Love (Back From The Dead!)
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2010, 12:45:48 pm »
That is what I am am having problems with, the odd angles. I have router bits that are 45deg, 30deg and 15deg which are handy but it is the 20 deg cuts that I find hard. I was hoping to see how you align and cut but if you are testing a lot then it is more trail and error. Is that right?

The blade on my tablesaw can be angled 45 degrees in either direction.  I use my protractor to measure the angle and then I set the blade accordingly and cut both pieces.  It never works on the first try so I tweak the angle setting on the blade and try again until I get it right.  I use tiny pieces of scrap for this.  I can try and snap some pics of the process but it likely won't be for a couple of weeks - my tablesaw is buried in the garage until I do my spring cleaning in there...

MadmanDK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2010, 04:33:28 pm
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2010, 07:08:11 am »
First off, i know exactly what how hard it is, to find spare time to work on a project, when you get kids..

After failing to get my TV to show a proper image with the VGA -> SCART cable, i have been falling more and more in love with the idea of a LCD in my cab..
Have you thought more about the rotating monitor idea?? and how you would pull it off??

And b.t.w. good work on the CP joints, that looks sweet
Why oh why didn't i take the BLUE pill...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2010, 10:38:44 am »
I officially hate this cabinet.   :banghead:

I am giving up on the mitred CP box and I'm just going to wrap it in black laminate.  The CP top will still be stained to match the cabinet sides but I don't have the time, money or patience to try this thing a third time - especially for a cab that I'm not even keeping.  The first box didn't stain right (all splotchy) and the second box didn't glue up right for some reason so I'm done.  I'm going to wrap the first CP box I made (the one pictured above in this thread) in some black laminate.  I think it will look good because all of my buttons and joysticks are black as well as the trackball, spinner and t-molding.  The bezel will also be made out of black laminate so the black CP box will fit right in.  It just won't be as badass.  Oh well. 

I'm making good progress otherwise - the CP should be completely finished by the weekend.  I haven't been taking pictures because of my general hatred for this thing.  Maybe I'll snap a few tonight when I calm down.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2010, 11:29:53 am »
Ack :(

I know its easy to say step back when that is exactly what you did for two years but I really hope this doesn't prevent you from a future 4 to 6 button project.  I am in the same boat as you when it comes to staining, biscuits etc and unless I was to devote a lot of time (which I just don't have) im pretty much staying below average on those fronts lol.  Unless you really are doing it to challenge yourself I would concentrate on your strengths for a future project.  Your paint jobs are amazing albeit tiresome in execution as you have pointed out.

I could see you building an amazing laminate/paint combination cab (4/6 button of course!)!   :cheers:
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2010, 11:59:15 am »
yeah, I'm just discouraged right now.  I'm still mad at myself for ruining that first CP box.  It came together perfectly.  I think this cab will look good when it is finished - the actual cabinet is stained and it looks fantastic with 6(!) thin coats of poly and the t-molding in place.  I just got hung up on the CP box.  If I really get motivated (doubtful) I could make another CP box down the road.  Now that I'm moving beyond it I hope to finish this cabinet fairly quickly. 

Tonight I'm not going to sleep until I've:

- Laminated all 5 surfaces of the CP box
- Applied a second (light) coat of stain on the CP top

Tomorrow I'll add the first coat of poly in the morning and the second coat at night - same thing for Thursday.  Friday night I'll prime and paint the interior of the CP box and the underside of the CP top.  At some point I'll sand the edges of the plexiglas top I cut out (around the trackball bevel and exterior edge).  Saturday morning I'll assemble and wire everything.

I haven't figured out how I'm going to connect the CP top and CP box but I'm leaning towards a piano hinge.  Knievel uses velcro all the way around - I'm not sure I want to go that route.

:cheers:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2010, 12:19:32 pm »
Agreed, I think the paint will make *all* the difference!  :cheers:

Knievel uses velcro all the way around - I'm not sure I want to go that route.

I used this for the Aliens cab CP and it works very well. I just use a credit card to slide it under if I want to remove it although I can't remember the last time I have had to do this.  I had purchased these latches but didn't realize I had to specify clasps as well so they arrived without clasps so went velcro instead.

The only adjustments I ever make are when I switch my 2nd player stick between 4/8 way which I do through the coin door and underneath. Its generally kept 4 way for 4 way games but I switch it for Robotron/Crazy Climber etc.

GL!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2010, 12:38:29 pm »
Agreed, I think the paint will make *all* the difference!  :cheers:

Knievel uses velcro all the way around - I'm not sure I want to go that route.

I used this for the Aliens cab CP and it works very well. I just use a credit card to slide it under if I want to remove it although I can't remember the last time I have had to do this.  I had purchased these latches but didn't realize I had to specify clasps as well so they arrived without clasps so went velcro instead.

The only adjustments I ever make are when I switch my 2nd player stick between 4/8 way which I do through the coin door and underneath. Its generally kept 4 way for 4 way games but I switch it for Robotron/Crazy Climber etc.

GL!

Hmmm.... velcro certainly would be easier to install...  What about the gap the velcro makes?  Is it noticeable?  I guess the overhang all the way around hides it from view but still...  hinges are also a pain.   :cheers:

EDIT: I think I have my answer.  Your Aliens cab is so freaking sweet I had to go look at the thread again and now I'll be reading it all afternoon.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:42:20 pm by javeryh »

Roo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2010, 09:17:03 pm
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2010, 01:11:26 pm »
You may want to test laminating over stain.  I'm not sure if the contact cement will bond properly to anything besides bare wood.

I'm not saying it won't, I'm just saying I don't know...   :dizzy:    I was looking into this a lot when I was getting ready to laminate my CP box.  I had (accidentally) painted some areas where laminate was supposed to go and so I went searching but I never did find a definitive answer.

I know contact cement is really designed for bare wood, so in the end I just sanded away the edges where I had painted until I was back to bare wood.

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2010, 01:29:07 pm »
You may want to test laminating over stain.  I'm not sure if the contact cement will bond properly to anything besides bare wood.

This might help out.  (Thank you, Jon Eakes!)

Working with Contact Cement: http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/2165
What glue will stick to what: http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/1383

As far as I am aware, the use of most commercial grade contact cement products should adhere fine to a stained surface.  It might cause an issue on a painted surface, if only to bond to the paint and not the wood itself, but the nature of wood stain is that it embeds itself into the grain of wood, and doesn't physically sit on the surface.  For that reason alone, I think you should be fine.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2010, 01:50:06 pm »
Thanks guys.  I've worked with contact cement before - I'm 99% positive that there won't be any issues.  Still, I won't know for sure until tonight!!   :cheers:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2010, 04:19:24 pm »
our Aliens cab is so freaking sweet I had to go look at the thread again and now I'll be reading it all afternoon.

Thanks but it was ultimately your awesome Bella paint job that made me go laminate as there was no way in hell I'd have the patience to make it look that good ;)

velcro certainly would be easier to install...  What about the gap the velcro makes?  Is it noticeable?

I can take a picture tonight as I dont think I ever did on the project page but no you don't notice any gap.  I used the industrial velcro strips from Home Depot and it comes in roughly 1/2" wide strips that have a very shallow profile. They look similar to these Velcro Strips.  I just fasted them to each cab side underneath the CP lid but not the front.  The CP doesn't budge even with 2 very large and rough old school gamers on it :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:25:28 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2010, 04:48:07 pm »
our Aliens cab is so freaking sweet I had to go look at the thread again and now I'll be reading it all afternoon.

Thanks but it was ultimately your awesome Bella paint job that made me go laminate as there was no way in hell I'd have the patience to make it look that good ;)

Heh, thanks - as I get older I find myself having MUCH less free time (thanks, kiddies) and therefore MUCH less patience.  If I had the time I'd spend it perfecting every aspect of my builds.  No such luck.

velcro certainly would be easier to install...  What about the gap the velcro makes?  Is it noticeable?

I can take a picture tonight as I dont think I ever did on the project page but no you don't notice any gap.  I used the industrial velcro strips from Home Depot and it comes in roughly 1/2" wide strips that have a very shallow profile. They look similar to these Velcro Strips.  I just fasted them to each cab side underneath the CP lid but not the front.  The CP doesn't budge even with 2 very large and rough old school gamers on it :)

That's the exact stuff I have.  I think I'm going to go with it and do the credit card thing if I ever need to get inside.  Now my head is going to explode thinking about lining it up perfectly!   :cheers:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2010, 05:55:17 pm »
If I had the time I'd spend it perfecting every aspect of my builds.  No such luck.

I think it's interesting how some arcade builders spend so much time perfecting a machine that will ultimately get smacked, kicked, and jerked around. I build my arcade games, get them to a point I like them and then I let the nieces and nephews have their way with them. I say all that, but I know what you mean though Javery. It's hard to fully enjoy your machine when you know the control panel wiring isn't organized just right.

I figure, I built them to play with. I don't want to wince every time the machine gets a some new "character". I do build other things that I spend the extra time to achieve perfection.

Roo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2010, 06:11:40 pm »

This might help out.  (Thank you, Jon Eakes!)

Working with Contact Cement: http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/2165
What glue will stick to what: http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/1383

As far as I am aware, the use of most commercial grade contact cement products should adhere fine to a stained surface.  It might cause an issue on a painted surface, if only to bond to the paint and not the wood itself, but the nature of wood stain is that it embeds itself into the grain of wood, and doesn't physically sit on the surface.  For that reason alone, I think you should be fine.

That's a very informative article, thanks for that link!   Still, I feel the need to point out that it doesn't address the issue of using contact cement over painted or stained wood  ;D

Everyone else here has more experience with contact cement than I do, so please ignore my concerns.  But I'd still like to find the "official" answer, if there is one.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:14:16 pm by Roo »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2010, 06:23:14 pm »
If I had the time I'd spend it perfecting every aspect of my builds.  No such luck.

I think it's interesting how some arcade builders spend so much time perfecting a machine that will ultimately get smacked, kicked, and jerked around. I build my arcade games, get them to a point I like them and then I let the nieces and nephews have their way with them. I say all that, but I know what you mean though Javery. It's hard to fully enjoy your machine when you know the control panel wiring isn't organized just right.

I figure, I built them to play with. I don't want to wince every time the machine gets a some new "character". I do build other things that I spend the extra time to achieve perfection.

yeah, I'm a bit mental.  I try to teach my kids to be respectful of stuff so they know not to push the chair up against the front or get too rough with the joystick but when other people come over I have to leave the room.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2010, 07:51:39 pm »
When I had mine working, a friend came over and saw I had Track and field on it. He immediately grabbed a pen and decided to show me how you can push the buttons back and forth super fast by pivoting a pen on your finger between the two buttons.  :angry:

But the painted buttons seemed to hold up just fine.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2010, 08:39:58 pm »
1 of the 5 surfaces for the CP box is laminated.  It ain't gonna budge.  Everything takes forever.  It takes about 30 minutes per side by the time you wait the 15 minutes for the glue to get tacky and then another 15 minutes for it to bond and then route off the excess.  I'll be doing this for 2 more hours!!

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2010, 08:40:31 pm »
yeah, I'm a bit mental.  I try to teach my kids to be respectful of stuff so they know not to push the chair up against the front or get too rough with the joystick but when other people come over I have to leave the room.

I am the same way.  I get nuts when other people trash my stuff.  I am not sure if teaching responsibility=mental though. :)

Roo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2010, 11:02:48 pm »
1 of the 5 surfaces for the CP box is laminated.  It ain't gonna budge.  Everything takes forever.  It takes about 30 minutes per side by the time you wait the 15 minutes for the glue to get tacky and then another 15 minutes for it to bond and then route off the excess.  I'll be doing this for 2 more hours!!

Excellent! 

As far as the time commitment, just tell yourself how much time you are saving by not painting it to look like a Steinway grand piano  ;D

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2010, 11:52:58 pm »

As far as the time commitment, just tell yourself how much time you are saving by not painting it to look like a Steinway grand piano  ;D

Good point! It is a sort of instant gratification isn't it?

Shortbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 03:20:00 pm
Re: The Arcade Even A Wife Can Love
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2010, 03:59:30 pm »
i just came across this and laughed my --rear end-- off. LOVE IT.

funny, sensor allows hookers and wife beating but not the other word for a donkey

Wow.  After diving into this project I have an even greater appreciation for Knievel's work.  This is not an easy build.  I'm having a tough time with all of the angled cuts.  I'm new to this kind of stuff and I really could use some lessons on the tablesaw.  I also just used my biscuit joiner for the first time - that thing is great (but also not as easy as it looks on TV).  I've got a 3D cabinet now and it looks pretty good but of course all I see are the imperfections...  

The wife is due home this afternoon so we'll see what she says!  ... I did finish building a bookcase that she wanted done while she was away - maybe that will soften the blow!

Have you ever thought about beating her? See, it makes the other stuff you do seem minor. Trust me, just give it a try. One quick back hand and she'll straighten right up.

or!

When she comes home, be piss drunk and reek of stripper. Tell her you were thinking of building another cabinet but thought she wouldn't be happy about it so you went to a stripper joint and spent $300 with some of your friends.

Seriously, I got buddies who go out all the time and blow all their money drinking, gambling or strip joints. Makes my hobby of hanging around the house and building things of value seem not so bad. My wife recognizes this. One other thing you can do is make a cabinet to sell for profit. That way she can't complain about the money aspect of things.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:07:58 pm by Shortbus »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2010, 05:05:32 pm »
Now I really hate this cabinet.  The laminate worked but it just looks terrible.  I'm going to end up cutting out another CP box with all the crazy angles.  I'm getting sick just thinking about it...  At least I'll have something to do on Sunday before the wife and kids come home!

On the bright side, the CP top is just about finished and it looks real nice.  I just have to cut out some vinyl to go around the buttons and joysticks and paint the bottom black.  The plexiglas top is cut too but I have to finish sanding the exposed edges around the trackball opening and around the perimeter.  I still have to do the 600 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 grit and then the three step Novus polish so it will take a few hours but the results will be worth it - I chamfered the trackball hole - looks pretty cool.

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2021, 10:51:34 am
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2010, 05:25:53 pm »
I'm having issues with my control panel box miters too, and I'm considering just doing some dado joints or pocket holes even to assemble a box and paint the thing black. 

Roo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2010, 04:27:07 pm »
Now I really hate this cabinet.  The laminate worked but it just looks terrible.  I'm going to end up cutting out another CP box with all the crazy angles.  I'm getting sick just thinking about it...  At least I'll have something to do on Sunday before the wife and kids come home!

On the bright side, the CP top is just about finished and it looks real nice.  I just have to cut out some vinyl to go around the buttons and joysticks and paint the bottom black.  The plexiglas top is cut too but I have to finish sanding the exposed edges around the trackball opening and around the perimeter.  I still have to do the 600 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 grit and then the three step Novus polish so it will take a few hours but the results will be worth it - I chamfered the trackball hole - looks pretty cool.

If it's not too painful to talk about, what went wrong with the laminate?  It stuck ok to the stained wood right? 

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2010, 05:18:57 pm »
The laminate worked but it just looks terrible.

What makes it look terrible? I personally love the look of laminate and can't picture it looking terrible in too many scenarios?
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2010, 06:27:41 pm »
If it's not too painful to talk about, what went wrong with the laminate?  It stuck ok to the stained wood right? 

The laminate worked but it just looks terrible.

What makes it look terrible? I personally love the look of laminate and can't picture it looking terrible in too many scenarios?

I just don't like the way it looks with the black box and the stained cabinet.  It's a style/design thing.  Maybe it will grow on me - who knows.  It went on perfectly fine and I even ordered the lamination to minimize the visible edges (bottom, back, sides, front).  I'm just really frustrated with this project - even after 2+ years - and I find myself just rushing to get it finished.   I can't wait.

:angry: :angry: :angry: