Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Basic Nintendo Cab conversion  (Read 2919 times)

Arcadiac

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2020, 01:26:31 am
Basic Nintendo Cab conversion
« on: March 08, 2010, 07:47:12 pm »
Hi y'all, I picked up a converted Nintendo cabinet at the flea market a couple of weeks ago, I want to finally get that project I promised my son last year finished!
I got it home, plugged it in like many of us do just out of curiousity and of course it did nothing but make a burning smell.  Oh well, people always claim that "it worked the last time I plugged it in".  No matter, I was more concerned with getting a solid Nintendo size cab to work with so I got what I wanted.
I pulled the monitor and promised it to my arcade route friend in case he could use it, it had a couple of wires cut on it but looked ok, no burn in.
To my surprise, I looked at the backside of the marquee plex and it has near mint Donkey Kong painted graphics on it!  I'm planning on keeping the Nintendo motif going so that will work just great.  Anyway, that's as far as I got today other than finding out that the board installed in it is a Konami Yei Ar Kung Fu (Konami GX407).
Played it on MAME for a minute, boy they really put out some shite gmes back then didn't they?  So here are some pics, planning on getting some painting done this week, already have the control panel done, just need to cut a bit off it to make it fit.
Can only do as much as my energy allows, but I'll update when I do.  Pics   follow:

WhereEaglesDare

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2014, 08:47:08 pm
  • Shut Off All The Compactors on the Detention Level
    • My HomePage
Re: Basic Nintendo Cab conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 05:39:58 pm »
nice find..... worked the last time they plugged it in... even with cut wires....  magic!

Arcadiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:31:00 pm »
nice find..... worked the last time they plugged it in... even with cut wires....  magic!

Very good! 
I bought it just for the cab tho'  I'll probably leave all the guts inside in case someone down the path wants to restore it.  It may just need a little bit of work , but it's beyond my ability.  MAME I can do!

ARCADIAC!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:38:31 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:20:15 pm »

Very good! 
I bought it just for the cab tho'  I'll probably leave all the guts inside in case someone down the path wants to restore it.  It may just need a little bit of work , but it's beyond my ability.  MAME I can do!

ARCADIAC!

You could do somethign in between like I did if you want to restore a Nintendo cab.  I MAME'd mine but it looks exactly like a DK now.

Arcadiac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:28:27 pm »
That's the plan, have the DK bezel and Mario Bros. marquee on a DK blue cabinet.
Most non-pros won't know that the bezel isn't the proper one as long as it don't look like --I'm attempting to get by the auto-censor and should be beaten after I re-read the rules--!

ARCADIAC!