Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New arcade buttons? No wiring?  (Read 2837 times)

mark6437

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2020, 03:20:11 pm
  • THB2
New arcade buttons? No wiring?
« on: August 08, 2009, 05:43:40 pm »
I have built 3 arcades, each one with an I-Pac. I love the I-Pac but I hate the wiring I have to do (common wire to all the buttons etc). I have not built an arcade in about 3 years. Well I just talked to a co-worker who wants me to build him one.

My question is has there been any advancements in the buttons to the point where you dont have to use micro switches that need to be wired to an I-Pac type device? Like maybe USB on all the buttons or something?

THX!
Mark
Hou TX

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: New arcade buttons? No wiring?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 05:48:54 pm »
I-pac is super easy. I'm not sure I even understand what you're asking. USB to each button or something? That would be ridiculous.

Beretta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2021, 02:11:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 06:04:18 pm »
ya im a bit confused my self, having a common ground is actually a very desirable thing.

if you ran a seperate ground for each button you'd have twice as many wires in the cab.. at least with a common ground you can just piggy back them from button to button..

if you really wanted to with a ground to each button then it could be done easily.. although i do not know why anyone would want to as it's more work.

get some terminal blocks..

then run the ground to said blocks.. (only need 1 wire going to the terminal block)

then for the rest of the terminal positions just run a jumper wire dasy chain style.

you would end up with a whole block of nothing but ground connections.. then on the other side of the block just attach the wires to go to the buttons..

another way to do it would be to get a bus bar, you could even make your own with a strip of sheet metal, attach it to some wood.. , then run the ground from the ipac to it..

then for outgoing ground to the buttons.. just pick a spot on the sheet metal and put a screw though it.. voila you got a as many ground wires as you want limited only by the size of the piece of sheet metal you use.

again.. dont know why you'ed do this as it's more work but there ya go.
Anyone got change for a dollar?
PLEASE HELP NEED Fastmame .70 and .9* releases

garwil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 12:52:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 08:20:26 pm »
According to the web site (http://www.ultimarc.com/ultrastik_inst.html) (I don't own one, I'm still in the planning phase), you can get a wiring harness for the u360 that takes 8 buttons. I'm guessing you just plug the buttons into the harness and plug the u360 into a USB port.

You still need to wire the common ground but maybe you could use these? http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/daisychainharness.htm

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 08:35:55 pm »
The MiniPac has a premade wiring harness available.  The U360 also has one available.  BUT, you will still have to route and connect the wires to the buttons.  Sounds to me like you want a wireless solution.  That would be pretty cool (I'm thinking blue tooth), but would be a bit more than $1.50/button.

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 08:58:02 pm »
Sounds to me like they want "plug and play".
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

Beretta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 10:01:59 pm »
i dont own one but are'nt X-arcade ready to go outa the box? or have someone else do the controls for you.

mj147

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 09:44:38 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 03:16:59 am »
I think he wants the "B" in BYOAC to stand  for buy  :P

There aint no easy button 'round here ::)

Actually wiring to an encoder is quite easy...sure beats hacking a game pad with no common ground

mj147

mark6437

• Offline Offline
  • THB2
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 08:50:01 am »
To garwil and bkenobi thx for the suggestions!! The u360 looks like its the way to go. Less wirinig and no I-Pac, just USB very cool.

To everyone else. I was really just trying to see what the advancements were in the buttons area because the wiring of the I-Pac is one of the things I dread.

Since I built my last arcade I kinda lost touch with the forums and have not kept up on changes, heck I havnt updated my MALA since May of 08.

Thx
Mark
Hou TX

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 09:02:26 am »
You'll still have to run ground to each button, same as with the I-pac. There is NO difference.

mark6437

• Offline Offline
  • THB2
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 02:11:46 pm »
You'll still have to run ground to each button, same as with the I-pac. There is NO difference.

Ah. Ok I see now. Thx 4 the info.

Beretta

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 02:18:33 pm »
ya there is no way to get around the phsycial wire connection to the buttons.. you could hack a wireless game pad but then you still have to deal with a wire to power it and also a wire to the buttons..

there is just no other way to get controls of any type without wiring going to them.

i think the best solution for you is to buy a X-arcade and then find a way to fit/mount it on your cabinet.. this way someone has already done the wiring.. but me personally would rather deal with the wiring then the wood working.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 02:28:50 pm »
The key to success is to get a quality wire stripper.  I'd go absolutely ape ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- if I didn't have one...

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

maddags

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2011, 03:29:06 pm
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 02:36:03 pm »
This might sound Wierd, but I actually like the doing the wiring.  I have converted four already for my friends and do it for cost.  A little hobbie on the side of running my own restaurant, let's me wound down...... but that's just me.

mvsfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2016, 08:05:26 pm
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 04:39:59 pm »
ya there is no way to get around the phsycial wire connection to the buttons.. you could hack a wireless game pad but then you still have to deal with a wire to power it and also a wire to the buttons..

there is just no other way to get controls of any type without wiring going to them.

i think the best solution for you is to buy a X-arcade and then find a way to fit/mount it on your cabinet.. this way someone has already done the wiring.. but me personally would rather deal with the wiring then the wood working.

yup, just buy a premade xarcade for your situation.

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 10:00:41 pm »
Frizzle,

What brand of stripper is that and where did you get it if you don't mind my asking?

Encryptor