Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 1980's Atari Pole Position PC mod  (Read 17369 times)

Silas (son of Silas)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
Re: 1980's Atari Pole Position PC mod
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 04:54:25 am »
Posted by: Silhouette      Posted on: Today at 12:48:15 AM
It's been 9 days since i first saw this thread

yep, still pissed about this

hope you get hit by a bus!
... comments like this... FAIL

Wishing people are hit by a bus is a little extreme for painting a cab black  :dunno
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 07:38:57 am »
This has seriously got to be some kind of joke, right?

If not, this moron comes here to taunt us and show us how he destroyed a SIT DOWN Pole Position? WTF is wrong with this guy? He wants to do LANS with it? He wants to put lawn chair fabric inside? Really? Maybe some Astro Turf on the floor and pinks flamingos glued to the sides? JESUS CHRIST!

Is this a late April Fools joke?

Someone ban this guy from these forums. We don't need to hear this CRAP!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:40:28 am by Magnet_Eye »
I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 09:03:53 am »
enjoy your timeout Silhouette. We wil not tolerate comments like yours here. Next time is permanent.

No more comments like this of any sort, lets get the thread back on track and post accordingly to its content.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:06:07 am by NIVO »

GAJoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2012, 03:35:51 pm
  • Bluster Blaster will DESTROY YOU!
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 12:51:14 pm »
Someone ban this guy from these forums. We don't need to hear this CRAP!

I doubt that's really necessary.  If he wasn't already driven off by the initial comments, I'd have to think the death wish sealed the deal.  I'll be very surprised if he posts further updates.  A shame we'll never see how that wicked, awesome dragon turned out.   ::)

If you're out there, though, DaMulta, I hope you do come back.  The damage is already done, so we might as well see how it all turns out.  I am pretty sure most of us don't wish ill will upon you just for painting a Pole Position black.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:00:34 pm by GAJoe »

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 01:10:07 pm »
I've gotta say thats pretty screwed up guys. Yeah you may not agree with what he's done to a cab he's paid money for. But seriously...get over it.

All these great comments probably drove him off and he probably won't come back. And I can't say I wouldnt blame him.

Its a sad day for this forum. This thread will probably drive off other new members as well.

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 03:12:33 am
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2009, 05:32:42 am »
Should just be closed and maybe apologies should be given. As far as maiming goes, if you bought something that you want to change, then go right ahead. I have changed classic cabs to pcs and I have no problem with it. I am not keeping anyone from restoring them, and I am also not just burning them. I think of them as mass produced furnature, they are well built and last a long time. They also exude character that is very hard to replicate. They are just natural to want to modify and add your own twist to make them your own.

Even if it ended looking like total crap, who cares? He has to live with it, and by finishing it he will learn how to do better. Too bad it had to be a pretty rare machine for starters though.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2009, 07:28:31 am »
He didn't threaten the guy, he made a classless comment.

This is a forum for people that build and restore arcade cabinets. Its expected that you appreciate them if you're eve here. If you make something nasty and can't handle the feedback, you shouldn't be putting it out there for public comment. Obviously its his to do what he wants with. Nobody questions that.

If he ruins it and doesn't post pictures, nobody knows.  He did though, and got exactly the feedback he should have.

:dunno

Gatsu

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2017, 08:23:43 am
  • I'm not prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2009, 11:13:44 am »
Like a lot of you guys on here...I didn't care for what he did to the artwork. But how people responded was immature and just flat - out hateful. I didn't think that's what this forum was about.

Like I said before.....posting your disagreements about it....then being total ---uvulas--- are 2 completely different things. Saying "hey I think you're screwing up a perfectly good cabinet" is one thing. Saying "I hope you get hit by a bus you ---smurfing--- moron for shitting on this cabinet" is just retarded and wrong.

People are gonna screw up cabinets. Not every cabinet or project posted in this forum is 100% win. Some are just flat out ugly. But none of you guys get nasty then. You may say you don't like it....but you say it tactfully. Here you just dropped your pants and shat on the guy.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2009, 12:22:03 pm »
I try to never comment on someones workmanship. Everyone starts somewhere and like many others, my first control panel was a hideous contact paper abomination. Even then, what I understood was not to take something original and ruin it.

This is generally a very well behaved forum, and what happened here doesn't occur often... The last time I remember it was the guy that wanted to take a working Smash TV cab and paint it pink with clouds and Zelda stickers. The Star Wars getting parted out is brewing, but since it isn't a Project Announcement yet it doesn't count.

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 10:42:30 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2009, 12:50:35 pm »
I try to never comment on someones workmanship. Everyone starts somewhere and like many others, my first control panel was a hideous contact paper abomination. Even then, what I understood was not to take something original and ruin it.

This is generally a very well behaved forum, and what happened here doesn't occur often... The last time I remember it was the guy that wanted to take a working Smash TV cab and paint it pink with clouds and Zelda stickers. The Star Wars getting parted out is brewing, but since it isn't a Project Announcement yet it doesn't count.

The difference here is that TOK's hideous contact paper laden control panel was a set of arcade controls that he built with his own two hands on an website known as "Build Your Own Arcade Controls" that is entirely themed around the idea of building and restoring arcade machines/parts. This polepos project was the opposite, he was removing arcade parts completely, destroying original artwork without the purpose or intention of restoring it, and cutting holes in the cabinet.

In my opinion the project does not belong here since it does not involve A) building arcade controls, B) restoring an arcade machine, or C) building an arcade cabinet. Now if this website had a lumber salvage section or a "repurpose an old arcade cabinet for another use", then it would be relevant. Also since the majority of members here abhor the destruction of classic salvagable arcade machines, he got the expected response. One good turn deserves another. He posts images chronicling the destruction of a Pole Position sit-down soliciting opinions, and we gave our honest opinions.

Sure one of the comments was in bad taste and it was dealt with appropriately, but that should not diminish the rest of the posters' opinions on the project which where an accurate and honest representation of this communities opinion on the whole.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 01:01:00 pm by Namco »

Namco

• Offline Offline
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2009, 12:58:07 pm »
I'm not done yet....I'm going to have some stickers made to match what I'm going to do to it.

Maybe this thread will have a happy ending after all?  :laugh2:

Silhouette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2021, 07:37:39 pm
  • SONIC BOOM!!!
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2009, 09:32:57 am »
Hey, everyone. I just wanted to apologize for my very out-of-line comment the other day, it was really unnecessary. If I offended anyone, i'm sorry, and i'll be sure to watch what I say in the future.

DaMulta

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2009, 06:45:51 am
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2009, 06:38:59 am »
Well it's been a while from my last post. I'm not pissed or hold anything on anybody.

You have to understand. I grew up in the arcade business. This has been broken for at least 15 years from the last time it was fully running. All it has done is collect dust and stock piled junk for years a pone years.

I let my son play his PS3 in there for a week or two(been getting the hardware together) VERY KICK ASS IN THERE I MIGHT ADD!+1 The 24'' LCD is perfect, and you can see what's going on in the cad perfectly from a distance! The sound cranks up so loud it rattles your teeth and you just feel alive playing in there. This has also shown me that playing other games besides racing games is ULTRA KOOL!

GD70 790FX motherboard
His I Q card
2 x 4890 1 GB cards
DDR3 16000
Water Blocks
Not very cheap

Anyways growing up around these suckers I have a different feeling than most people do. I was recommend to come to this board....believe it or not lol Right now it has been stripped and is being cleaned up from head to toe. I have a sheet of lament to install OVER THE BLACK PAINT so it will have a smooth and shiny surface.

The MAIN REASON I am covering it up is to move on. It's getting a new total restoration job, and in the end I want it to be all mine(my design). I have ALWAYS wanted to convert this machine for years a pone years just never did it. Then one day  it just happened. The guts where ripped and started the process.

I hope you all can forgive me for doing what I'm doing to this cab. Really I do I know how you all feel about it, and are hurt to even see what's going on. Just please look at WHAT IT COULD BE when it's done. Sometimes I hate even showing what I'm up to until I'm up to it. Some people just can't look ahead and use their imagination to look at things a different way.

Namco

• Offline Offline
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2009, 07:29:47 pm »
Whenever I've helped someone move old arcade machines with big hunks of plywood missing from the corners, or when you watch a bunch of dusty old machines being moved on and off a truck with the faded artwork and the dirt; when you notice that they're nothing much more than cheaply made boxes of wood and paint, they lose some of their magic. I can see your point of view on it. I'll bet that thing will bump hard when you're all done with it. Make sure you post more pics as you progress.

telengard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:49:33 am
  • Yeah, it's a classic! 21+ on BYOAC and still goin
    • S T U R C A D E
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2009, 09:54:52 pm »
I started reading this thread and was thinking "lucky bum".  For years I've wanted to start a new project using a Pole Position cab and restoring it.  Dissapointed.    :(

~telengard
S T U R C A D E     M.A.M.E. Cabinet
http://www.briansturk.com/mame.html

splunkett

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2009, 07:41:34 am
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2009, 06:49:25 pm »
Wondering what ever happened to this horror story? DaMulta, do you have an update? Did you convert it onto a hotdog stand in the end or have you surprised us all with an arcade perfect restoration  :dunno

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2009, 04:53:47 am »
I had forgotten about this cab. I would like to know what happened to it too.
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2009, 08:51:12 pm »
My only question is this....why not just build a sit down shell inspired by the Pole Position design?

Seems to me all the effort in destroying a cab like this and bending it to your will could have been better served by just drafting an initial design closer to what you wanted the end result to be...
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2009, 09:34:52 pm »
My advice is to read this thread in reverse. Then it will read like a restore thread. For example:

Poor Pole Position that someone has spray-bombed black:

Let's see if we can get that paint off. It looks promising...

Success!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:40:29 pm by MaximRecoil »

splunkett

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2009, 07:41:34 am
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2009, 07:42:03 am »
 :laugh2:

GAJoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2012, 03:35:51 pm
  • Bluster Blaster will DESTROY YOU!
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2009, 04:11:16 pm »
That's brilliant MaximRecoil, except you have to explain in picture two why the cabinet has lights on it.  I'm going with, "It's a paint heating strip that helps debond the spray cover from the work area."

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:42:39 pm
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2011, 12:22:07 pm »
It's the two year anniversary of this thread.

Somewhere, a sit-down Pole Position cabinet is cold and alone, haphazardly spraypainted black and with random disjointed holes cut everywhere.  The roof of the cabinet bows under the weight of an unplugged mini fridge and random camping supplies.  Long discarded french fries litter the drivers seat, and printouts of dragons and AMD processors sit where the pedals once were.  It cries out for a restoration to its former glory, but no one is there to hear the call.  No one is there.

Rest in peace sit-down Pole Position cabinet.  Rest in peace.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

ghettodish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2017, 03:41:58 pm
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2011, 02:09:54 am »
To the haters out there:

There are plenty of broke-down Pole Position cabs out there. Go get one and let's see what you can do with it.

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 05:46:59 pm
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2011, 01:00:09 pm »
A few good laughs in this thread and some **ahem** interesting comments.
I am guessing the OP became intimidated and just bailed on this thread and maybe even on the game itself...This reminds me of how long it's taken me, personally to become proficent at restoring old, beat up, cig burned and sometimes badly water damaged arcade cabinets. When I started working on cabinets over two years ago, I was a hack, almost as bad as this, almost. It takes me a lot of energy and much thought into restoring/rehabilitating an old arcade cabinet. It also takes lots of time and patience. I love taking junk and turning it into gold but it takes a lot of time, work and patience. It has been a learning experience for me, learning to bondo, learning to install t-moulding properly, painting properly and converting control panels. For me it's a labor of love, it's very satisfying to see an old, water damaged cabinet look real pretty again, even if it IS a mame! A sit down PP should be a driver mame IMO but hey, whatever floats yer boat!

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2011, 10:01:58 am »
To the haters out there:

There are plenty of broke-down Pole Position cabs out there. Go get one and let's see what you can do with it.

I wish that were true.  I've been looking in my area for ~ two years and still haven't found one.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2011, 12:52:50 pm »
I wish that were true.  I've been looking in my area for ~ two years and still haven't found one.
Lol, I was going to mention your frustrations in reply to taylormadelv...hence what you've had to succumb to.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 01:10:09 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2011, 01:12:31 pm »
HarumaN-

This guy wants $400 for his PP:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/2326096217.html
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2011, 01:25:42 pm »
Lol...  figures, now that I've amassed most the parts I need, this shows up

skuttduck

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2012, 01:04:45 pm
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2011, 03:35:14 pm »
I saw one a few weeks ago on Ebay with a Buy it now for $100.
The guy wanted it out of his house because it wasn't working.  I don't see it any longer, and I tried to contact him about buying a push button from him.