Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dig Dug un-conversion  (Read 3525 times)

gameguy1957

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2009, 12:56:31 am
Dig Dug un-conversion
« on: March 22, 2009, 11:06:16 pm »
Here's the Dig Dug I'm going to start on in a few days. Just thought I'd drop a picture of the before pic for everyone to admire while it's being worked on.

I'll post some pics of the progress once I get started on it.

-JM

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
Re: Dig Dug un-conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 04:14:56 pm »
Wow, that looks like a hard-core restoration coming up ! :D  :applaud:

CP set-up reminds me of Robotron.....:D

gameguy1957

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:57:34 am »
Yea, those joystics are going to be used in a dual-jamma machine in the future for the only two jamma games I like, Smash-TV and Tekken 2.

They both use two joysticks for controls on each player and I have another matching pair from another converted machine.

Only thing I need now is a kick harness for each board and the jamma switcher.

On the Dig Dug, the cabinet is still solid and it has the original artwork under a thick layer of black paint. Should turn out good enough since it will be wedged in between two other machines.

Best thing is that I should get a working Dig Dug for less than $200, if you don't count the hours of labor put into it.

-JM

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 11:11:24 am »
On the Dig Dug, the cabinet is still solid and it has the original artwork under a thick layer of black paint. Should turn out good enough since it will be wedged in between two other machines.

Hopefully your artwork is in good shape.  No silk screened options available for new side art.  (ink jet is available but expensive).  Even though the game will be wedged between two others, it's still nice to know that it has good side art.

The control panels were reproduced (screened) back in 2000 by Arcade Renovations.  It was a run of about 50 of them.  You'll have to ask around to see if anyone still has any.

Good luck on this project.  I applaud you for converting it back, as way too many people wouldn't bother.   :applaud:
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

gameguy1957

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 03:59:17 pm »
Been making some progress on this thing.

Here's the inside rear view of the Ring King setup, the manual for the conversion is still in the floor.

gameguy1957

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:01:12 pm »
Here's the front and rear after it was stripped of everything except the monitor. Next step it to scrub everything down and bleach out the interior to make it sanitary before bringing it home.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:28:21 pm by gameguy1957 »

gameguy1957

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 04:03:20 pm »
Here's the butchered control panel and another shot after the first coat of paint stripper.

gameguy1957

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 04:07:27 pm »
The original paper bezel shroud for the monitor was used on the Ring King, but they attached the instruction stickers to it. I couldn't figure out a way to remove them without damaging the paper, so I just painted over it.

The paint is actually a semi-gloss, but looks glossy since it's still wet. Turned out nice when it dried. You can't see the instruction stickers when it's in the gameroom.

gameguy1957

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 04:10:49 pm »
Here's the front after installing all of of the original boards and wiring into the machine. I didn't have a spare G07 chassis for the monitor, so I swapped a 4600 that was working into it.

I also installed a new lamp, starter, and fixed the cobbled wiring for the lamp fixture.

The wiring harness for the control panel was completely replaced by the Ring King kit, so I have to build one from scratch.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:29:14 pm by gameguy1957 »

gameguy1957

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 04:13:35 pm »
Before installing the control panel I needed to fix the busted spot on the front side of the cabinet. I think someone had kicked it in, ruining the original door. The door that is in it is a Wico instead of an Atari.

gameguy1957

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 04:26:59 pm »
I bought the correct style Molex connector and built a control panel wiring harness. The switches on the buttons and joystick were really cheap and the pump buttons would not work at all, so I robbed a couple of good switches from another old control panel.

The joysticks are Wico's, but the switches are flaky on it too. So I swapped switches around between the two sticks until I found four working. They'll do until I can order a new set.

Here's a pic of the almost finished game being played. I still need to strip the black paint off the sides, but I can't find the 3M Safest Stripped anywhere in town.

I also still need to pull the control panel and weld up all of the extra holes that were drilled into it and then add a new overlay.

I'll post a final pic once I get those two things done.

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 11:39:42 am »
Good progress.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods