Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LCD Topgun 2 Questions...  (Read 5735 times)

slapaham

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2012, 05:32:32 pm
LCD Topgun 2 Questions...
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:04:04 am »
Okay, I'm considering getting one of these but before I do, I need to know a few things first...

1. I've heard this works very well in MAME - is this true?
2. What are the measurements of the senser strips?
3. Is there a way of neatly mounting these trips on a cab? Advice and tips please!
4. Do the wires from the senser strips look ugly or can you conceal this neatly?
5. How long is the wire to the gun?

If anyone can help answer these questions I'd really appreciate it - looks like a good bit of kit but I don't want to fork out for one if it isn't going to go well with my cab!!

:cheers:

Turnarcades

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
Re: LCD Topgun 2 Questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:55:43 am »
Not sure about the Topun 2's, but since the drivers were updated a couple of months ago the original works much better, so based on the originals:

1. They work great in MAME, assuming you have all the correct options/flags set in MAME itself. It took me a while to get them working but with the new Topgun utility it was easy. You will probably have to remap the mouse axis in MAME using the guns as they usually identify as 'mouse 4'.

2. The sensor bars on the original are about 14"/15" long, but only about 3/8" wide and less than an inch deep.

3. You can mount them behind a clear bezel at the very edges. Precise location is flexible as you can calibrate the guns based on where you mount them, so long as they're not over 40" apart. However, they are greatly affected by reflections/interference so even though you could mount them behind smoked perspex, you may lose performance.

4. The wires from the sensors are thin but are plenty long enough to stretch to the PC. Mount your bars correctly and they are easily concealed.

5. The gun wires are fairly long too; I'd say you could stand around 6 feet from the machine with no trouble.

slapaham

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 09:30:42 am »
Thanks for that - really helpful and cheers for the feedback on the trackball as well.

I'm now seriously considering blowing some cash on one of these - I may treat myself in the next day or so!

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2015, 10:37:58 am
    • NonMAME - The ultimate site for the OTHER arcade emulators!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:54:13 am »
You may want to wait.  The Sonic Gun System is coming soon and promises to be MUCH better than the TopGun (for many reasons, perhaps chief among them being that it uses REAL arcade-quality Happ guns).  I'll be glad to be rid of my inaccurate TopGuns with the ugly posts hanging off the sides of cabinet.  I just hope it functions as a joystick and mouse where needed, in both 1p and 2p modes.

Shoegazer
NonMAME: Your best source for the OTHER arcade emulators!
http://nonmame.retrogames.com

slapaham

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 10:32:33 am »
How much are these likely to cost though?

Thanks for the advice - they do look good!

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 03:38:12 pm »
Most likely they'll be more expensive, but then again you get what you pay for.  Consider that if you were to buy the guns direct from Happ, they'd cost roughly $75 for the non-recoil version and $150 for the recoil version.  Perhaps we'd benefit from a bulk discount or package deal that might end up costing less, though I'm not sure.  Still, most people on this forum don't skimp on other controls, so why do the same thing here?  Buying a TopGun is sort of like buying a Nintendo Advantage or X-Arcade joystick over Happ or Sanwa.  It may have been a good deal for its time, but not for much longer. 

Also consider that HKEMS refuse to write 64-bit drivers for their guns, which is crazy considering so many people are jumping ship to MAME x64.  In fairness Nanotech hasn't announced 64-bit support to my knowledge either, though I don't have any reason to believe they won't.

Just food for thought.

Shoegazer

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 04:15:20 pm »
If they are being sold thru happ, then maybe that means divemaster will stock them at a decent discount. :-\
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 07:09:57 pm »
The technology looks good, though I will only be convinced if the software can support the hardware as well. If they can't be mapped like the Topguns can I'd be reluctant - I like the extra buttons etc. on the Topguns. The second thing is I hate those gun designs. The best looking arcade guns with the right weight and feel are the G-cons. Right now the LCD Topguns are the closest to that.

If I could get my PS1 G-cons somehow running on a PC that would be the ultimate reward!

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 01:28:49 am »
You definitely have a good point there.  Hopefully Nanotech will take their time and do it right with their software.  It would be a shame not to after spending so much time on the hardware and overall concept.  Anyway I think it's at least worth waiting to see what others have to say about it.  Slapaham was about to spend good money on the TopGuns, and if we can help him at least see the other options before he buys, then more power to all of us as consumers.  That's part of what makes this forum so great.

I kinda like the Happ gun design, but I guess that kind of thing is a matter of personal preference.  ;)

Shoegazer
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 01:31:10 am by Shoegazer »

m7cky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2010, 02:39:56 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 04:29:54 pm »
I'm definitely interested in getting a couple of these for my planned gun cab. I'm using a HOTD2 cab & would like to retain the mirror setup. Would these work with that? The mirror is on an angle & behind a glass front. Would i have to mount the bars at an angle? Would they work behind the glass front? Would it work at all? I've searched & found no-one using these guns on a mirror setup, but i'm assuming they would work.
*EDIT*
I'm referring to the topguns btw
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 04:31:30 pm by m7cky »

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 12:37:59 pm »
I'd like to add 2 more questions to the LCD Topgun question list, as I'm likely to buy a pair soon (no love from my Act Labs guns...).

6 - Where on the sensor strips do the wires exit?  The end?  The middle?  I'm considering putting them along the bezel glass or inside of the side panels, bumped up against the speaker panel above the monitor.

7 - What sort of hookup cables do each of the sensor strips & each of the guns need?  USB?  AC Power?  Other?

Thanks,
-Jason

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 01:55:24 pm »
I got impatient & just went ahead & ordered a pair of LCD TopGun IIs.

To answer my own questions:

6 - The wires come out the end of the 2 LED strips.  They come out the bottom.  I'm going to see if I can mount these upside-down & do a "backwards" calibration, so that I can run the wires up into my cab's speaker panel.  Or, if I'm crafty & lucky, I can get these behind my monitor glass...

7 - No extra power required.  They draw all their power from USB.  Nice.

I tried using several coupon codes I found on-line, but to no avail.  Play-Asia sentme a coupon code in my package, and it says "Feel free to pass this coupon to a friend if you can not use it by yourself."  It's good for $5 off a $50+ order.  Code SJ-ZKV-QZN.  I don't plan on using it, so somebody else can go for it.

Can't wait to give these a try--they seem really slick!

-Jason