Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcademic Hall - Shrine/Wabac Machine/Old School  (Read 1916 times)

z

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2022, 01:14:24 pm
  • there will always be one more thing to tweak
    • arcademic hall
Arcademic Hall - Shrine/Wabac Machine/Old School
« on: March 19, 2009, 03:44:14 pm »
Finally putting online the cabinets I have built over the past 14 years.  The original cabinet (being genereous there) was called The Shrine and was built to house an Atari 2600.  The design definitely predates exposure to BYOAC and current techniques, just built for rematches of childhood classics such as missile command and asteroids.
http://www.theidolsofthetribe.com/jim/pages/shrine.html
Yes, the cab was built with sheetrock for sidewalls and Toyota Celica speakers up top...BYOAC wasn't there to advise me to just dump the scrap material in the rental house basement.  If nothing else style points for a cab using a TV with wood grain housing.

The next was the Wabac Machine, old theme with newer tech finally.
http://www.theidolsofthetribe.com/jim/pages/wabac.html

The last full cabinet I built was a cocktail named Old School, a tribute to 8th grade nights at the local Godfather's Pizza Joint
http://www.theidolsofthetribe.com/jim/pages/oldschool.html

The only design elements from my tinkering that might be of interest to anybody would be some cheap spinner design options
http://www.theidolsofthetribe.com/jim/pages/spinners.html
and an easy DIY clock face (bottom of page)
http://www.theidolsofthetribe.com/jim/pages/oldschoolconstructionphotos.html

Thanks to Saint for putting up BYOAC and everyone who contributes.  The designs are inspiring and the answers I find searching the message boards have saved me countless hours of frustration  :notworthy:

Z
Lifetime Student at   Arcademic Hall  (uprights with a minor in cocktails)

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
Re: Arcademic Hall - Shrine/Wabac Machine/Old School
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:09:40 am »
Heh, I knew a guy in high school whose name is Z. I don't recall talking to him much, different clique. Considerable given a school with no real cliques.

Moving along. Holy bejebus! That 2600 looks like... well... you already know. So....

Anyways, It's an interesting walk showing the evolution of your cabinets and cabinet building skills. ;)

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2020, 11:00:55 pm
  • What have I done?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 01:45:51 am »
Pretty great stuff thanks for sharing. Kinda makes me want to get one of the coin op Pong stations and convert one...I know I shouldn't ruin history there but...ya I'd do it.

Nonetheless great collection  :)

z

• Offline Offline
    • arcademic hall
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 09:57:07 am »
No offense taken on saying the 2600 cab was ugly, there was a reason it stayed in the basement  :)   At the time I remember thinking 'a big atari logo on the side would make this look great', apparently my vision, judgment and drinking were all pretty bad back then.

In the next few months I'll rebuild the control panel for the Wabac Machine, I finally got a Happ trackball and Ipac to replace the CompUSA crystal ball and hacked gamepads.  At that time I'll also touch up and add to the side art, open to suggestions on that front.

Fordman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2021, 11:20:27 am
  • MADE in the USA
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 11:37:23 am »
I love the Peabody & Sherman art work! Also the figurines of Peabody & Sherman, also isnt that 'Bill' and  the 'Conductor' from the ABC School House Rock cartoons?

Fordman

z

• Offline Offline
    • arcademic hall
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 02:10:39 pm »
Dead on Fordman, it is the Conjunction Junction guy and Bill, some day they will make their way to the front of cocktail cab.  Older people recognize them quickly, I always liked how the colors and lack of detail for them (along with Sherman and Mr. Peabody) blend in well with arcade art.  Bill was around in one form or another before Old School, in the rental house basement he was on a wall near the 2600 cabinet (pic attached).  Our landlord had to be puzzled by our basement, Schoolhouse Rock on the wall behind a horrid sheetrock cabinet.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 04:11:13 pm »
Heh, my cottage (rental) was comprised of off-white cinderblock that i got so sick of. So the last four years I lived there, I painted random colored paint "splotches" all over the cinder walls. Took me over three hours and three coats of color matched paint to get rid of it so I could get my deposit back... and that jerk still found something to gripe about.

Never thought of doing actual characters.

z

• Offline Offline
    • arcademic hall
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 04:49:12 pm »
Did the drawing with chalk, when it was time to move we just brushed it off the walls.

This thread is getting me motivated to put Bill and the engineer on the wide wall of the cocktail cabinet.  Now I'm wondering whether to paint them on or make them with a few layers of colored foam board so they are a little 3Dish.

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 01:46:21 am »
ooooo 3Dish! But could you protect the foam board from being scraped, kicked or bumped?

z

• Offline Offline
    • arcademic hall
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 12:30:51 pm »
Foam cut outs of cartoon characters, why would a kid be tempted to grab at that?  ;)  My friends and I would avoid them but with kids around I think I'd have to make them out of something more solid than foam.  I may try a few test pieces out of foam and then if they look good do them with layers of 1/4" plywood so they are more solid.

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • What have I done?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 12:35:48 pm »
I for sure want to see it.