Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone build a mame control panel for a Galaxian Cocktail?  (Read 3674 times)

ratabase1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 24, 2020, 09:51:51 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Anyone build a mame control panel for a Galaxian Cocktail?
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:53:11 pm »
I was looking for some ideas.  Has anyone built a mame control panel for a galaxian cocktail cabinet?  The control panel is not level like a pacman cab or as tall.  It slants down to about an inch on the front of of the panel.   

Not sure if you can tell from the pic on klov, but here is what it looks like:
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7885

codeena

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2023, 06:23:54 pm
  • This site is cool
Re: Anyone build a mame control panel for a Galaxian Cocktail?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 12:54:23 pm »
Hey Ratabase1,

I have a similar cocktail (Space Invaders) that I recently purchased. I'm in the process of altering it.

I already removed the left/right controller and I'm going to seal that hole w/bondo. I'm going to drill a new hole directly below for my replacement ball-top joystick, which will have the rotating 4/8 restrictor. I'd access the restrictor by cutting out the a hole in the wood below the cp--I'd make a thin cover for this opening.

I'm keeping the original button and adding one to the left. I'm going to use black pica control panel cover from Happ to finish it off.

I'm probably not going to use that black metal panel beneath the top one since it has metal I'd have to cut off (the part that held the original left/right control). So, to secure the top original metal cp, I'm going to place 3/4" wood strips on each side of the original control section that I'd screw the metal cp into...somewhat difficult to describe.

I think the most painful part will be drilling the holes into the metal, but I have done this before on my Dynamo cp. I wish I knew someone w/a hole punch, but I'll have to make due w/my drill and 1.125" metal hole cutter (purchased from Lowes).

On the same subject, I already installed my mobo, speakers, sub, power supply and coin door/cp lights to pc power supply. I am picking up the monitor and getting a new tempered glass top cut locally next week. I'm debating whether or not to installed new vinyl or venner for the exterior.

I'm curious what your plans are.

Good luck!

ratabase1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 24, 2020, 09:51:51 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 12:52:52 pm »
Hey Codeena,

I had to put my project on hold last year, as my wife had a few other projects she wanted done around the house.   I'm getting ready to start work on my cocktail table again.  What did you wind up doing on your control panels?  Do you have any pics you can post? 

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2017, 08:22:27 pm
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 04:38:51 pm »
i'm pretty sure you've seen this one:

http://www.waste.org/~winkles/winterMAME/pix/winterMALA.jpg

it's my galaga cocktail, which I believe has a slightly smaller CP than the galaxian.

I've got a U360 in there with 3 buttons.  Seems quite comfy for playing.

2 issues though:
a) the shaft on the u360 is too long for a cocktail.  you'll smash your knuckles on the wood under the glass.  I shortened mine by lowering the physical base of the U360 about an inch using longer screws and some plastic sleeves/standoffs.

b) the magnets on the U360s do interfere slightly with the monitor.  I think I could put some shielding in there, but I haven't pursued it.