Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Starship Troopers Pinball Machine - Opinions?  (Read 10844 times)

Flake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
Starship Troopers Pinball Machine - Opinions?
« on: February 26, 2009, 10:21:03 am »
Yes, its another "what do you think about this pin" thread posted by me. 

I have a chance to check out a possibly purchase a Starship Troopers this weekend and was wondering if this is a decent pin or not.  I have never played it and I'll still trying to figure out how to use Visual Pinball so I cant even play it on that right now.

Then artwork from the pictures I've seen at www.ipbd.com doesnt seem too appealing but it would appear that the gameplay is pretty decent.  The guy wants $1400 for it - hopefully that negotiable.

I just dont know if I want a starship troopers themed pin sitting in my basement but maybe it looks better in person.

Any thoughts?

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Starship Troopers Pinball Machine - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:22:15 am »

I'm with Jim... it's a decent game with a low quality theme.  For a similar theme machine also from Sega I definitely prefer Lost In Space.  IMO $1200 is even pretty high in this market unless it's a super nice machine.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:33:25 am »
So I'm guessing the fact that it plays like a MM is a good thing?

Hmmm....I'm doubting he goes less than $1200.  He claims its in good shape.....but who knows what that means.

I might just have to hold off till Super Auction comes this April.  If nothing good comes from that then I can pursue CL posted pins.  I having a real hard time committing to a pin. 

I almost pulled the trigger on a Jurassic Park listed on E-bay a week or so ago.  I probably could have got it for $1100 or so but would have had to go to KC to get it (I'm in STL).  It was all shopped out with some cabinet scratches that werent too bad.

Actually, if you are following E-bay deals right now there seem to be some pretty good deals out there if you are close enough to go pickup.  Shipping on those things always sours the deal.

Thanks guys

JeepMonkey

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2012, 01:51:24 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:48:36 am »
If you would consider coming to KC for a pin, you might checkout

http://www.unitedamusement.com/dateslocations.php

They still have the list of games from the last auction.  Lately they have had 10-15 pins per auction.  There is no listing of the next auction date, but the first one is usually March or April, with auctions every two months.  Unfortunately they wait until the night before the auction to post the machines that will be there.  If nothing else, it is a good opertunity to play some games for free.

I have seen what looks like a nice Theatre of Magic floating around KC CL and ebay, but at $3200 it may be more than you are wanting to spend.
Pins:  Theatre Of Magic, JP The Lost World, Revenge From Mars

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 12:40:35 pm »

Have patience and keep your eyes on CL and RGP.  You can do better than those prices and the market is only going to get worse in 2009.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 01:04:28 pm »

Have patience and keep your eyes on CL and RGP.  You can do better than those prices and the market is only going to get worse in 2009.

What is RBG?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:12:27 pm »
What is RBG?

Special monitors for dyslexic people.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:18:19 pm »
Oh for gods sake you took the time to reply about a typo but decided against answering the question.  Nice

Zero_Hour

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2022, 12:45:37 pm
  • Enjoying the irony of taking games seriously
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 01:32:23 pm »
rec.games.pinball on usenet.

Google Groups addy:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/topics?lnk
"Paradise, is exactly like where you are right now - only much, MUCH better." -Laurie Anderson

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 01:34:23 pm »
Oh for gods sake you took the time to reply about a typo but decided against answering the question.  Nice

It's true.  I'm a wiseass but I am much nicer than pinballjim.   :)

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 01:35:22 pm »
No argument here.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 02:37:33 pm »

He does seem to be particularly unfresh today.

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:08 pm »
You are talking about Joey P in NKC & his auction from last week right?.............................Heh, a JP from Mr. JP........ thats nifty!

Its truly doubtful he did an actual "shop job" on the machine but I am sure it worked fine. The scratches could have been a pretty easy to fix & custom match due to the simplicity of the cabinet artwork on JP's................."Paralysis by analysis" faux show!

But, enough over spilled milk......

As far as the Stargate pinball if its minty just pull the trigger! If you decide you no longer want it then just sell it, you are sure to either trade it for something else eventually or add another half dozen to it anyways. Or maybe just like you said go to the SA in 6 weeks, you will end up with a pinball soon regardless.

Dont stop by the Lions Choice out here on your way to/from, its horrible! Go to the one in Cave Springs, its arhgrga-ubly the best lol!

:woot
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 10:26:19 pm »
Yea I'm sure that was the one in KC.  Yes, yes, I know I just need to pull the trigger but by nature I usually overanalyze cost/benefit to the point its no longer a benefit......if you get my meaning.

So you have experience with this seller in KC?  You by chance werent the one who bid $2700 on the Simpson's Pinball Party today were you?   ;D

pinballwizard79

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 10:38:59 pm »
So you pondered the ROI for the JP until it became....................wait for it.................extinct?

There are now 4 prehistoric periods in time: Cretaceous, Jurassic, Triassic & Flakedoesnthaveapinballmachine-assic

LOL  :cheers:

No I didnt bid on the SPP, I am scared to buy a Stern unless NIB or from a collector who had it since NIB.

Maybe we should PM each other when bidding on anything in a 400 mile radius. It would suck for the two of us to get into a bidding battle & then post pics of the prize. Not because it would sting for the loser to see the machine he lost but it would sting for the winner knowing had we communicated it would have cost one of us far less.......Not to mention if one of us tired of it in 6-12 months & offered it to the other it would cost more, just my opinion.

I have dealt with Joey before yes.

Why dont you pick up a good ol Williams game from the late 80's?

They are built like freakin tanks & simple enough to work on for noobs.

Maybe a Taxi, Tomcat (careful with those tho), High Speed or etc.........

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 11:46:10 pm »
There are now 4 prehistoric periods in time: Cretaceous, Jurassic, Triassic & Flakedoesnthaveapinballmachine-assic

Hahaha now thats funny.... :laugh2:

A fan of How I Met Your Mother are you?

I would love to get my hands on a Cyclone.  I've been playing the crap out of it in FP and I love it.  I'm open to all types of SS pins.  If I had my absolute preference, in my price range I would probably opt for a 90's Williams.

I suppose I am expecting the economy to take its toll here in the next couple months so that I'll get some great steal but thats probably wishful thinking.  So that thinking is keeping me from pulling the trigger.  I suppose I could adopt what appears to be your pinball purchase philosophy....why buy one when you can buy two twice the price....joking of course but you sure arent helping the "be patient" mantra I've seemingly adopted contrary to my overwhelming desire to just go out and snatch one.  Admittingly, when I started this search I never even contemplated purchasing more than one but in the next six months but lately I've been thinking two pins would be great.  So I suppose I've been waiting around to see if I can catch a bad themed 90's player and then maybe a 80's pin for as much as I expected to pay for one two months ago.  Probably wishful thinking.  So I wait and watch......a stategy my wife is quite fond of......... :cry:

pinballwizard79

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 12:44:18 am »
I have yet to watch more than 30 seconds of that show but now I look like a plagiarizer don't I?

Interbank lending is rising, we printed more fiat paper & said "whatever it takes". Unemployment = the recent spending drop, 8%. Now we save 2% rather than spend 6% more than we earn.............weird how we keep talking about restoring the economy to a borrowed leveraged unsustainable level.

But we will, then we print more fiat paper, been doing it since 1913.

So do this: Divorce the wife, put the house in her name & the assets in yours. Stop making your house payment & save that money....then buy the house via your name at auction for $100k less & then get remarried................afterwards send the money to Highendpins for a dozen beauties.

Its not wrong because the loss will be written off by the lender & purchased by the government who prints fake fiat paper anyway, its victimless I tell you.

Or just get a Starship troopers & cyclone this weekend.

Totally kidding about the semistrawbuying garbage too btw guys, back to the hijacked thread.

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 07:47:20 am »
Does Joe P do public auctions, or are you talking about ebay auctions?  There are public arcade auctions in south KC (Grandview).

Visitor Q

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 09:09:30 am
  • The Saw Is Family
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 07:59:22 am »
Never played this one but I like the movie, sequals sucked though.  :P
“Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 09:46:27 am »
Does Joe P do public auctions, or are you talking about ebay auctions?  There are public arcade auctions in south KC (Grandview).

I was talking about E-bay auctions.  I dont remember his sellers name but this guy has several pins for sale usually - at least he does lately.  Claims they are all shopped out - but PinballWizard apparently doubts they are truly fully shopped.  Personally I dont know.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 09:48:46 am »
That Starship Troopers pin does look fun. Very colorful and full of toys. I might have to try it our in VP.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 09:56:54 am »
I have yet to watch more than 30 seconds of that show but now I look like a plagiarizer don't I?

Interbank lending is rising, we printed more fiat paper & said "whatever it takes". Unemployment = the recent spending drop, 8%. Now we save 2% rather than spend 6% more than we earn.............weird how we keep talking about restoring the economy to a borrowed leveraged unsustainable level.

But we will, then we print more fiat paper, been doing it since 1913.

So do this: Divorce the wife, put the house in her name & the assets in yours. Stop making your house payment & save that money....then buy the house via your name at auction for $100k less & then get remarried................afterwards send the money to Highendpins for a dozen beauties.

Its not wrong because the loss will be written off by the lender & purchased by the government who prints fake fiat paper anyway, its victimless I tell you.

Or just get a Starship troopers & cyclone this weekend.

Totally kidding about the semistrawbuying garbage too btw guys, back to the hijacked thread.

So your a banker huh?  Commerical lending?

If I divorce my wife am I required to remarry?  If so I will have to renegotiate a new marital agreement that allows for unlimited access to funds for coin-op goodies.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 09:59:57 am »
That Starship Troopers pin does look fun. Very colorful and full of toys. I might have to try it our in VP.

Thats one of the reasons I want to get VP up and running.  I tried again last night with no success.  Hell I cant even get the search function to work.  I keep getting errors.

I installed the VIP pack in the getting started section and then downloaded a few tables.  I get errors regarding the WBS.VBS file telling me to make sure I have it in the same folder as my table files.  This is weird because its there - I can see it.  Then VP crashes on me.  Its all messed up.

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 12:43:48 pm »
Did you see these listing on STL CL?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bfs/1043309326.html

They have a STTNG and X Files for sale.  It does not say if they would break up the group.

This guy has a JP in the background, maybe he would sell?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tag/1052197991.html

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 12:46:12 pm »
I did see that but I didnt think he would break up the group.  Maybe I should ask.  I didnt notice that JP.  He has like 8 pins listed so I assume if he is selling the JP he would list it.  I think I'll inquire though, thanks.

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 01:36:32 pm »
Never hurts to ask, if you are interested in any of them.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 01:43:54 pm »
What about a Stern High Roller?  There is one around here in really good shape for $1750.  The reviews on ipbd arent that great but it looks like a cool game.....

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 03:00:22 pm »
I havent seen a Monopoly go for anywhere close to this.  Where do you get your market information anyway, you seem to have a cheap source for pins.  Care to share?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 03:03:28 pm »

Games are always cheaper when you can fix them and people know you're both a serious buyer and someone who buys AS IS without a hassle after the fact.  There is value in someone being able to just call you and say "I have game X at price Y come look at it" and it either sells to you or does not but they know you won't ---smurfette--- at them for 3 months because there is an issue with the driver board.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 03:09:16 pm »
I didnt realize pins came with tech support.  Whatever and from whomever I buy I never had any intention of calling them back down the road to help fix any problems.  I always assumed you bought these things as is.  I'm not looking for any "warranty".  Besides, no one has ever offered to sell me their machine for less than their asking price if I just took it as is.  Maybe I need to develop some reputation first or something.....hell I dont know....

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 03:39:59 pm »
I didnt realize pins came with tech support.  Whatever and from whomever I buy I never had any intention of calling them back down the road to help fix any problems.  I always assumed you bought these things as is.  I'm not looking for any "warranty".  Besides, no one has ever offered to sell me their machine for less than their asking price if I just took it as is.  Maybe I need to develop some reputation first or something.....hell I dont know....

People buying their first machine are notoriously difficult about expecting support.  Not always, but it's very common, for them to harrass the seller for months over tiny stuff like a bulb going out.

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 03:46:28 pm »
FWIW - I saw a Monopoly at Palmentere's (North KC) around two months ago that looked to be in good shape for $2300.  I can't remember if it was CL or ebay.

There was a Ripley's posted a couple days ago on Topeka CL in "very nice" condition for $2200.

*edit* I am only putting these out there b/c they are relatively close to STL.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 03:51:57 pm »
That seems to be more in line with prices I've noted.  But still more than I want to pay.  For now I probably have an overall budget of $1500 or so.

Well hey I can understand the frustration of newbies buying pins then harassing the seller at the first sight of trouble.  This has never been my expectation.  My original goal - and still is probably - is to find something nice enough so that it works well for a time as I become famaliar with it.  I want to learn about them and be able to fix them myself eventually, but my more immediate need is just play one and enjoy it.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 04:40:35 pm »
Well lately STL has been up and down, weeks go by with nothing really but then BAM there is like 15 ads posted in a two day period.  I've tried purchasing a few I've found from there but they either misrepresented the condition of the pin or someone else beat me to it.  I'm still a little bitter about the Pinbot I let escape. 

I have inquired about dozens of pins and frankly I many are asking more than I'm willing to pay for the title.  I'm so guarded against buyer's remorse its almost paralyzing in a sense.  I suppose also with the upcoming auction I am hesitant to blow my wad now in case there are deals to be had there.

Thats a neat trick on the e-bay search, never thought of that.  I'll set it up.  Either way, its been nice to get feedback from this forum on value/playability and such.  Valuable info to be sure.

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 04:42:32 pm »
This is what I have seen lately in this area.

You can get machines such as JP, Demo Man, Johnny Mnemonic, maybe Simpsons, and a handful of similar titles for $900-$1200.  

Then there is a gap for Nightmare On Elm Street, Last action Hero, quality machines for $1500.

Then you get to $2000-$2200 starts at themes like No Good Gofers, Teed Off, earlier "New" Sterns.

Lastly you have nice classics such as Addams, Theater of Magic, and Sterns from the last 2-4 years.

I have saved up some cash to buy a real nice pin, but what I have found is that I am really looking at the $800-$1200 machines as fun, but not over the top, or a nice high end pin like Theatre of Magic.  To me, there is a void of pins that I am interested in at the $1400-$2000 range.

pinballwizard79

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 04:51:03 pm »
Flake: I am not in the finance industry, anymore.

As for JoeyP, not saying he is a bad seller or anything, just saying its crazy to fully trust ANYONE who sells pins & vids for a living. I will STILL buy from him with confidence though, but I do so knowing "shoped" talk is cheap in the pinball world.

To me it seems collectors who just want to break even on one machine to clear up space for a replacement are better. Collectors are not looking at every coil sleeve, bulb & clip replaced as a liability, its more of a necessity & pride in their baby.

Of course there are times their items sell at a fair price so my previous statement can be disproved.

FYI: There are two sellers in KC (using the same name) to stay away from however.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 04:51:59 pm »
There's no deals to be had on pinballs at live auctions.

The sellers shill them up to make sure they don't lose $50 and the games sell for above E-bay prices.

Generally speaking I understand and probably agree with that.  However, its only 5 weeks away and probably worth checking out.  I noticed a very steep decline the pinball prices between the last two auctions.  I'm sure most of the them were just purchased back by the sellers but who knows.  There are some members on here who have claimed to score some good deals on pins from auctions.  

Wow Jeep Monkey those prices on DM, JP and Simpsons are at least $200-300 less than what I'm seeing here.  Very nice....

God I just e-mailed a guy about an Operation Wolf game around here and he wants $550.  That seems about $300 too high.  For Gods Sake, someone must be buying these things.....and I'd wish they'd quit.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 04:52:44 pm »

That's not so much true right now.  The auction I went to in Dec had games going for really good prices.  The quite nice Shadow went $750... a decent Congo $700... some older games anywhere from $400-700 but on average $200 lower than they would have a year ago.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 04:54:22 pm »

That's not so much true right now.  The auction I went to in Dec had games going for really good prices.  The quite nice Shadow went $750... a decent Congo $700... some older games anywhere from $400-700 but on average $200 lower than they would have a year ago.

Thats what I'm talking about baby!   :applaud:

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 05:02:03 pm »
God I just e-mailed a guy about an Operation Wolf game around here and he wants $550.  That seems about $300 too high.  For Gods Sake, someone must be buying these things.....and I'd wish they'd quit.

I just bought a mostly working Operation Wolf as it is one of my grails.  Everything worked except for the trigger (I know, it is pretty important) at an auction back in October for $75.  If I ever get home I will have to get it working.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 05:05:08 pm »

I just bought a mostly working Operation Wolf as it is one of my grails.  Everything worked except for the trigger (I know, it is pretty important) at an auction back in October for $75.  If I ever get home I will have to get it working.

Your no longer allowed to post in my thread if you keep touting these ridiculous prices.  :angry:

It would make me feel lots better if you told me you paid $2500 5 years ago for a 48 in 1 multicade....

pinballwizard79

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 05:31:59 pm »
Death by unga bunga to Jeep Monkey!!!!!!

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 06:01:51 pm »
Flake - Did I tell you that I got a MS Pac not working in great shape for $150.  Put $20 and 20 hours into it and had it working?

I got lucky on the OP Wolf.  Lately at the local auctions, a lot of machines have been coming in not working, although many of them power up.  No one was bidding on them.  So I figured what the heck, bid the miminum as see what happens.  No one else even bid on the OP Wolf.  There were about 150 mpeople there.  Including all fees and taxes I got it for $96.

There have been a handful of pins coming in not working, such as Stargate, Simpsons, Pinbot, and others, but they have way to high reserves on a machine that doesn't play IMO (>$1000).

If you look long enough and hard enough you will come accross some good deals, but the wait can be hard.  And you can forget about that crap that one pin will be enough. 

pinballwizard79 -  ;D

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2009, 09:13:07 am »
Well that JP you noticed in the CL ad is for sale - $1300 as is, which means unshopped and the TRex head doesnt pick up the ball.  Guy says its most likely the magnet is not energized.....

Thats way too damn high, like I said earlier, the one I saw on E-bay I almost bid on in KC went for less than $1100 and that one supposedly had a completely shopped playfield - supposedly.

The T2 is shopped out but he says the back box has some bruises - $1500.

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2009, 10:16:29 am »
I just read last night that there is a Super Auction in Orlando this morning.  I am currently in Gainesville, but I had already set up work with vendors for today.  Had I known that I would have worked Sunday and went to the auction today.  Obviously I would not have bought anything, but it would have been nice to see what all they had.

I was hoping to make it to the super auciton in STL, but I will not be home in time.

If nothing else you could offer the guy $1100 for the JP.  It seems like I always see T2 for sale and they typically go for $1200-$1500.  That is a little more than a T2 is worth to me.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2009, 10:47:12 am »
Yea I dont know, I wonder if the TRex is a problem or not?  He says the head moves around fine.  I suppose I could just replace the magnet - or maybe I have to replace the whole head.

The Starship Troopers guy wont budge on price so I'm not even going to check it out now.  The sellers around here are quite stubborn.  Someone must be buying these.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2009, 01:36:30 pm »
Best I ever did was I traded my way into a Shadow for about $300 and sold it for $1,300.  :D 

HAHA.  I got my Shadow for -$250 after I bought it at a workplace auction along with the TZ for $1550, sunk a little money into the games to fix, then sold the TZ as a bargain for $2000.   :cheers:

Most I've ever spent on a game is $1200... did that twice.  Fathom and RFM.

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2009, 03:07:50 pm »
Chad - You got a RFM for $1200?  Was it in rough shape or did the guy owe you money and couldn't pay up?

pinballwizard79

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2009, 06:48:05 pm »
Chad buys his machines when he travels through space, he stops by planet bull ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- to get these great deals.

I have a JP & if the dino's issue is one of the the motors it will be an expensive & PITA fix.

Unsure of the magnet thing, when I go to my special office (bathroom) I will read the manual to see what in the dino.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2009, 07:03:48 pm »

Jim, if you'd like, I can put you in touch with the manager at Betson in MA.  He's the one that arranged the sale.  I bought it right before the Dec auction there - seller hired some movers to bring a van full of pins to the auction and RFM showed up DOA.  Dude had no way to get it back home and no repair skills.  The manager is a friend of mine and knew I wanted an RFM - and knew of another one that sold locally at that price (to another BYOAC member, BTW) recently - so he arranged that same sale price prior to the auction as a project game.  Already shopped and in very nice shape but completely nonworking.  I had everything but the monitor working in a half hour and had the monitor working the next day.  It actually turned out well for the seller as that auction was a total bloodbath and even working it might not have fetched $1200 on that day.  The only real issue it has is the Attack Mars insert has a problem.

pinballwizard79

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2009, 08:52:32 pm »
LMAO!!!!!!!!!

I make a smart ass reply & Chad automatically assumes it was PBJ  :laugh2:

That means I am starting to display similar behaviors, its time for me to turn a new leaf.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2009, 01:28:54 pm »

:laugh2:

He's right, I did assume it was jim.  I must have only seen the first part of the username.  My apologies to pinballjim.   :)

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2009, 07:21:01 am »
Flake - Saw a listing on CL for a Judge Dread, $1100 in KC.  Thought you might be interested.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/1056234414.html

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2009, 10:24:35 am »
Hey thanks JM for the heads up.  Seems like a good price for that game though.  Sellers around here want at least $1200 for that game.

I just got VP up and running finally last night.....seems as if VP and Vista dont play well together.  So I am in the process of trying out several pins that have been up for sale in the area and on E-bay to try and get a feel for which one I like best.  I must say, I was rather impressed with the play of DM.  The sounds on the game are pretty decent too.  I will try out JD tonight. 

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2009, 12:37:12 am »
After seeing it (not playing) in person but also playing in VP the last few days I really like DM.  I really hope one shows up in the upcoming SuperAuction on 4/4.  I dont really have any hope that one does but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I really missed the boat on this one there was one on sale on E-bay about 2 weeks ago in AK that sold for $1,050 or so - in really good shape - based on sellers description and pictures.

I have really ---fouled up beyond all recognition--- up here lately by being out of town for the local pinbot that was in good shape and the DM in ARK.  I could have both for just over $1600.  I dont think I could do much better than that.  Sorry not really any new info here just ranting......

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2009, 07:23:56 am »
Have you posted a WTB for a DM pin?

There was a guy here in KC selling one last August in a moving sale.  I think it was at $900 at one point.  I did see one on CL in the last coule days.  It was in Omaha and it must be in great shape as the guy is asking $1800.

Good luck and let me know what pins they have at the super auction.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2009, 09:49:19 am »
Have you posted a WTB for a DM pin?

There was a guy here in KC selling one last August in a moving sale.  I think it was at $900 at one point.  I did see one on CL in the last coule days.  It was in Omaha and it must be in great shape as the guy is asking $1800.

Good luck and let me know what pins they have at the super auction.

I have been watching this one on E-bay.  Its been posted several times with no buyer.  The cabinet looks kinda beatup and the backglass for sure.  I was thinking of offering like $500 for it to see if he'd bite.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140305593353.  Probably wishful thinking though. 

pinballwizard79

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2009, 09:26:55 pm »
Chuck has DM in the utmost pristine condition loaded 100% with sweet LED's (thats about $350+ in bulbs alone so he wont part with it cheaply).

BUT........You can at least play a DM at his place before buying one, or nearly anything else for that matter (or just buy something from him lol).

That guy on ebay you mentioned has listed 80 items in the past 30 days & only sold 2 so IMHO he sucks.

Off topic: Look @ this pic from a story about chucks recent tourney.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 09:29:06 pm by pinballwizard79 »

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2009, 01:13:31 am »
Chuck has DM in the utmost pristine condition loaded 100% with sweet LED's (thats about $350+ in bulbs alone so he wont part with it cheaply).

BUT........You can at least play a DM at his place before buying one, or nearly anything else for that matter (or just buy something from him lol).

That guy on ebay you mentioned has listed 80 items in the past 30 days & only sold 2 so IMHO he sucks.

Off topic: Look @ this pic from a story about chucks recent tourney.

Tell me about it, he showed me a DM with the LED's when I went to talk with him about a high speed.  It looked awesome - very bright.  The DM he had was awesome but not for sale.  He said he was getting some new DM's in for sale and would contact me about them but never did.  I got the feeling he considered me a MAJOR amateur who didnt have a good feeling for what I wanted so I imagine he basically forgot about me.  Cant say I blame him I suppose.....

I would love to get over to his place but its hard to tell the wife...who I havent seen much of lately due to tax season......hey I'm going to go hang out by myself at this guy's pinball arcade and drink beer while you watch the little one.  Just doesnt work man......

pinballwizard79

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2009, 09:21:22 am »
Yeah, those darn needy children & wives!

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2009, 10:34:35 am »

This comment about $350 in bulbs caught my attention at the time and I've been meaning to ask - where exactly is he purchasing these bulbs at?  I looked on pinballlife.com and I dont see anything near that expensive.  Am I looking at the right part?  http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=192&pg=1.  Even if you purchase 40 of the $5 ones its only $200.  I was just curious as that amount you stated seemed so high.......or are you just joking?

pinballwizard79

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2009, 05:38:58 pm »
I never joke about pinball.

LOL, jk!

Superbrights LED's are polarity sensitive I believe & their customer service is nonexistent. PBJ was right tho, once Superbrights was openly spoke of prices dropped across the board.

They (SB) are in the STL area too.

As far as pricing here is an example on my TFTC: #44's (91) @ $1.50 (=136.50) + #555's (34) @ 1.50 (=$51.00) + #89's (31) @ $4.95 (=$153.45) grand total $340.95 prior to insured shipping.

The DM you saw @ Chucks had LED's everywhere, even the backbox, pop bumpers, inserts & the flashers.

To go 100% LED its indeed a true $350.00+ commitment, they look cool & only need replacing due to vibration rather than burn out. Thats $50 more than what I like to spend on the entire rebuild/shop on a machine, start to multiply that by a few machines & rather than a pile of LED's you could have another machine.

But I think you will do well buying a machine that already has LED's in it as thats a moot point to many buyers not in the know.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2009, 12:21:11 am »
Well I finally bought one - the DM from Chuck.  Its all cleaned out, new rubbers, waxed and very bright with the LED's.  The only real cosmetic issue is with the backbox decals, their scratched up.  Didnt come iwth a manual, I'll have to get one of those.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Feels good to finally have a buddy next to the mame cabinet.

BTW - I really suck at this game.

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2009, 07:14:20 am »
 :cheers:

Congrats on your first pin.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2009, 09:25:25 am »
Pics

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2009, 10:35:55 am »

Are they really blue?

And are they really that bright or are they playing that weird trick that LEDs do on digital cameras?  You can barely see the playfield they're so bright.

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2009, 10:39:31 am »
of course they're blue.  Cameras may play funny tricks but not that funny.

Now they're not THAT bright, there is no issue with seeing the playfield.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2009, 10:41:39 am »

That looks like there are 25 pilot lights on the playfield.  You powering that thing with natural gas?   ;D

Flake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2009, 10:42:53 am »
It looks killer in person.  Really, I'm a big fan of the LED's.   :cheers:

pinballwizard79

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2009, 05:43:15 pm »
This must be photo shopped, no way Flake finally bought a machine....especially from Chuck  >:D

Congrats!!!!!

I see room for more!